Crane collapse downtown

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by The Green Barbarian »

normaM wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:42 pm
For who called the victim a clown... hate to be you
What?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

normaM wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:42 pm where was MGs Safety Inspector when the crane was being taken apart?
Why would you expect MG's safety inspector to be onsite?
- They are inspectors not "constant supervisors".
- They're not qualified to provide input on this process/work, nor are they expected to as a result. They are responsible for ensuring railings are used, fall protection is in place, hard hats are worn, etc. They're in no way responsible for ensuring equipment is disassembled in a safe way - they have no clue how to do it safely themselves.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TylerM4 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:52 pm
normaM wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:42 pm where was MGs Safety Inspector when the crane was being taken apart?
Why would you expect MG's safety inspector to be onsite?
- They are inspectors not "constant supervisors".
- They're not qualified to provide input on this process/work, nor are they expected to as a result. They are responsible for ensuring railings are used, fall protection is in place, hard hats are worn, etc. They're in no way responsible for ensuring equipment is disassembled in a safe way - they have no clue how to do it safely themselves.
Just armchair experts sharing their ignorance TylerM4, nothing new here. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

The sheer ignorance of some of the comments in this thread are staggering. Safety on construction sites is dictated by Worksafe BC. Union or non union, the same rules apply. Armchair critics who have never worked in construction should stop embarrassing themselves. It was a tragic accident that cost several lives. My condolences to the friends and family of those lost.
Last edited by Snman on Jul 13th, 2021, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:45 pm I would be more willing to subscribe to your "happens all the time"/"fuggedaboudit" notions if an innocent civilian wasn't buried under rubble still beside the site. A civilian who had nothing to do with the collapse has died as well. In regards to the civilian's death it wasn't just business - it is personal. I wonder if there will be civil suits for the non worker casualties.

Fortunately this will have an impact going forward in downtown Kelowna. I am all for Kelowna going up. It will employ many people for many years to come. But this is a big deal.
Interesting take on my post.

I'm curious as to how "This happens often, I doubt anything new/different will come due to the accident in Kelowna" has been twisted into "Because this happens often we shouldn't treat it seriously and shouldn't investigate and look for opportunities to improve"

If you don't agree, attack the logic not the person
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Having lived in Salmon Arm for awhile, I am somewhat familiar with the business and the family.

Absolutely heartbreaking, I cannot fathom what they and the other families are going through. My deepest condolences to all affected.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Thanx TylerM4.
Last edited by Snman on Jul 13th, 2021, 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

This just keeps getting sadder.

5 dead in Kelowna crane collapse, one body still unrecovered

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... red#339785
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

ferri wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 5:54 pm This just keeps getting sadder.

Just get him out ...

Hopefully (by the time I log in at 4 am) tomorrow morning before I go to work he will be be out of there ...

I know it takes work , but .....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Snman wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:57 pm The sheer ignorance of some of the comments in this thread are staggering. Safety on construction sites is dictated by Worksafe BC. Union or non union, the same rules apply. Armchair critics who have never worked in construction should stop embarrassing themselves. It was a tragic accident that cost several lives. My condolences to the friends and family of those lost.
What about the video from the people on the crane dismantling it? Showed at least 2 of the workers with no hard hat. I have been on a construction site and would not have been allowed to have entered without one on. Not even enter the site let alone work high up on a crane. And safety isn't an issue?
Sheer ignorance indeed.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

MAPearce wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 6:06 pm
ferri wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 5:54 pm This just keeps getting sadder.

Just get him out ...

Hopefully (by the time I log in at 4 am) tomorrow morning before I go to work he will be be out of there ...

My guess (and that's all it is, just a guess) is that he is under part of the fallen crane and it's too dangerous to move anything until more of the crane is taken down.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I did not see the video, it probably got removed.
Ok so maybe some infraction.. least of their problems.
It may not occur to you , but not much falls down on you up there., sorta like a 747 captain wears no helmet but a fighter jet pilot does .. always., he probably was wearing before he went up .. moot point right now..

If you forget your steel toes at work one day , does not mean you deserve an accident. Maybe you know a lot about crane erection or dismantling, but I will go with the expert investigators on this one to find the cause..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

My guess is they wanted the scene intact to get further into the investigation before cutting or moving parts if it.
Plus it probably will jar the vertical tower part left, and they do not want more to come down..
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Jul 14th, 2021, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

ferri wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 6:13 pm
MAPearce wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 6:06 pm

Just get him out ...

My guess (and that's all it is, just a guess) is that he is under part of the fallen crane and it's too dangerous to move anything until more of the crane is taken down.
That's exactly why. Sounds like they're going to try tomorrow afternoon if the engineers approve it's safe enough.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

While cranes collapse all the time, I'm not sure how often they collapse while being dismantled. Though this did happen in Seattle in 2019, killing four.

All posts 100% moderator approved!

Return to “Central Okanagan”