Crane collapse downtown

crookedmember
Banned

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by crookedmember »

Removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 14th, 2021, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

MAPearce wrote: Jul 14th, 2021, 5:54 pm
As to your question "where is the boss" I believe he was one of the badly injured ones, and he lost two sons, so my heartfelt sympathies go out to him, his family, and all the others lost or affected.
Nope , not injured at all..... You're wrong on that one ..

Best not speculate anymore .
I wasn't speculating. I read that in one of the many stories floating around, sort of like the first day it was only one fatality, which then grew to five.

Best direct your energy toward the media.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Not here to rub , but the LAST place I'd direct any energy is towards the media ....

Perhaps putting the media on ignore would be a good idea for you also .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

MAPearce wrote: Jul 14th, 2021, 9:27 pm
Not here to rub , but the LAST place I'd direct any energy is towards the media ....

Perhaps putting the media on ignore would be a good idea for you also .
is there something that you know that the rest of us don't? Thats the innuendo it seems.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Vacancyrate wrote: Jul 14th, 2021, 6:00 pm
Tankur wrote: Jul 14th, 2021, 5:24 pm Have any of you even had a labor intensive job. I can’t believe the disrespect to the dead here.
A office worker was killed who had nothing to do with anything.

These were not astronauts or civil engineers furthering the reaches of mankind

These were well paid workers building luxury condos for dollar bills.

Asking basic questions and noticing that workers are not wearing basic PPE and posting to Instagram on their cell phones a minute before a crane fell on a office worker and killed him is RESPECTING THE DEAD.

You wear a hard hat when there is overhead hazards. At that height the hard hat is more of a hazard falling off …even with a chinstrap I’ve seen it happen. There is no over head hazards…therefore no hard hat required! The crane went up did the whole
Job, without issue. Buddy was posting to ig the whole time. Freak accidents happen. So should respect for
The dead.
Trixster
Banned

Post by Trixster »

Worksafe and OHS won't comment on the video and pics that the operator was posting on Social Media sites prior to the accident. I think that this tragedy happened due to the operators distractive behaviour He should have been focusing on the task of dismantling the crane with professionalism and safety rather than posting vids and selfies to social media sites.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Tankur wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 7:04 amYou wear a hard hat when there is overhead hazards. At that height the hard hat is more of a hazard falling off …even with a chinstrap I’ve seen it happen. There is no over head hazards…therefore no hard hat required!
Until you walk with your head into a metal bar when you stand up and knock yourself out.
The crane went up did the whole Job, without issue. Buddy was posting to ig the whole time.
Everything was fine until it wasn't.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Man you guys dont give up do you ? If everyone had a hardhat on, and everyone had their fall restraints on, How.. would this have changed the outcome ?
Maybe go after the horrible drivers that are hurting people on our streets and highways everyday, if you want to help out..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Jul 14th, 2021, 7:42 pm As tragic as this was, people get injured or even killed by accidents not connected to them.... on a daily basis.
Everyday in automobile accidents this happens..
Yet a few posters on here are directing a lot of blame on the crane crew........ and I am not making a call on their role in this accident.

What I am asking these posters that dont seem to have much respect for the workers that passed away... REGARDLESS OF WHO IS AT FAULT.... do you direct this much energy and efforts, to....say.... drivers that cause fatal accidents?
Some people really lack resoect or empathy... if you must say what you are thinking there are far better times to do so, than this week...
I have seen many posters treat drivers and passengers involved in fatal accidents with as little respect and empathy as they are treating this crane crew, REGARDLESS OF WHO IS AT FAULT.

Yes, I have seen posters direct this much energy and efforts to drivers who cause fatal accidents as they are firing at this crane crew.

*edited to directly answer questions posed by original poster.
Last edited by crookedmember on Jul 15th, 2021, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I truly hope the one guy who survived (wearing his fall arrest gear) is getting support and financial assistance. I watched him—he was shaking horribly—as he prepared his harness for the shimmy across the tower support arm.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Even Steven wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 8:31 am
Tankur wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 7:04 amYou wear a hard hat when there is overhead hazards. At that height the hard hat is more of a hazard falling off …even with a chinstrap I’ve seen it happen. There is no over head hazards…therefore no hard hat required!
Until you walk with your head into a metal bar when you stand up and knock yourself out.
The crane went up did the whole Job, without issue. Buddy was posting to ig the whole time.
Everything was fine until it wasn't.
Its a LEIBHERR Crane , not a LILLIPUT Crane... its designed for 6 foot tall men to work on without running into "metal bars ".
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Jul 15th, 2021, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 9:03 amIf everyone had a hardhat on, and everyone had their fall restraints on, How.. would this have changed the outcome ?
Not having hard hats and not having fall restraints are indicators of poor safety culture. By itself, it wouldn't prevent the accident. But these are good indicators of complacency. Safety starts with little things and leads up to big things. If somebody can't wear a hard hat on a job because he's too cool - he's probably not doing something else. Same with playing with the phone while they should be focusing on keeping the crane stable and balanced.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Even Steven wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 9:10 am
Not having hard hats and not having fall restraints are indicators of poor safety culture. By itself, it wouldn't prevent the accident. But these are good indicators of complacency. Safety starts with little things and leads up to big things. If somebody can't wear a hard hat on a job because he's too cool - he's probably not doing something else. Same with playing with the phone while they should be focusing on keeping the crane stable and balanced.
Exactly. The other thing to consider: These are glaringly obvious and highly visible safety steps/requirements not being followed. These guys weren't just "not following the rules" they were blatantly ignoring them for the world to see. If they're skirting the obvious rules, what are they doing about the safety steps/rules that aren't so obvious and visible?

An analogy: If you've got people riding in the box of a pickup, there's a good chance the people in the cab aren't wearing seatbelts or the driver doesn't have a valid license.

I've worked jobsites starting as young as 15yo some 25+ years ago. Even back then, hard hats were mandatory. I learnt on my 1st job that even when working on the roof of the building with nothing above, even when it's 42* outside and sweltering you wore your lid. If my boss caught us without our lids, there was hell to pay... and you hoped it was the boss that caught you and not Worksafe or the site super. Haven't worked a proper jobsite in over 10 years but I suspect the rules have only gotten stricter since.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Jul 15th, 2021, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Even Steven wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 9:10 am

I'd tend to agree. Note the professionals/engineers brought in to clean-up the damaged crane are wearing hard hats and using fall restraints.

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I get what you guys are basically saying.. it looks like things may not have been done right.
But also, I will leave the investigating to the persons assigned to do that job.

The hardhat thing , it has been repeatedly pointed out that it may not he required.

Your pickup box analogy is flawed..yes there is a chance the people in cab may akso be doing something incorrect, but to say is highly likely they have no license is really stretching your imagination.

And I think you are wrong about Worksafe, i dont think they would say much to a non hardhat wearer.. might ask a question or two, will order you to leave and get one........ but the boss or super... is going to gear the brunt of what will happen..

Return to “Central Okanagan”