Crane collapse downtown

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by TylerM4 »

Trixster wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 12:15 pm Did anyone else notice how fast John Friesen from the Mission Group distanced himself and his company from Stremmer Construction.
Did you notice the context under which he made those statements? Hint: Media was asking questions about the employees/people involved.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

JLives wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 12:32 pm
Even Steven wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 11:36 am

At the end of the day, it's up to the crane company to follow safety procedures, it's up to the most senior guy there to make sure safety is followed, and fix the issues as he sees them. There's nobody above them at that moment (literally). That's why I don't understand why people knock Mission Group - it was these 5 workers there, Mission Group doesn't have to supervise them.

But the most senior guy was probably the one who was filming the video for Instagram.
At the end of the day it's up to Mission Group, as prime contractor, to ensure all subcontractors are following safety procedures.

^^ yup :up: ..and anybody who works in construction knows this..and anybody that works in construction knows that safety gear is mandatory..hell, you can be sent home for the day for smoking a cigarette on a job site, my son said he just saw that happen 2 days ago with a guy who was repeatedly told that he cannot smoke on the job site and he needed to wait to smoke in the designated area and when he was on his break...my husband does lots of jobs that require crane trucks and if someone whips out their cell phone they shut everything down until the dummy puts it away...safety on ANY job site is and always will be # 1...nobody ever wants to see someone get hurt or like this horrific incident die on the job..
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 11:24 am I wonder where some of those posting here, get their information.
First, there was one man, the operator was on the crane when it fell
Two Stemmer brothers and owners of the Leibherr crane were on the ground, along with a 21 year old who was on his first day of work.(He had worked for the Stemmer's in the past, several years ago)
The vertical, not the horizontal was collapsing at the top triangular building support, but stayed at the vertical.The boom had fallen
The lower support is where the workman was seen making his way back to safety in the building from the vertical, still standing after the collapse.
It is interesting that there is no training for crane workers or operators, as now advocated by the Operating Engineers, and as they have been doing for many years.
Also noted how quick CEO Mission Group Jonathon Freisen quickly distanced the Mission group: " the crane and operators were not part of his work force."
Working on the cheap, non union, untrained is a way of the world now.
Would proper training have prevented this terrible accident? Maybe. maybe not.Engineering analysis that will come might provide some answers.
This is completely false. There certainly is training requirements.
Occupational Health and Safety Regulation
14.34.1 Operator certification
On and after July 1, 2007, a mobile crane, tower crane or boom truck must be operated only
(a) by a person with a valid operator's certificate issued by a person acceptable to the Board, and
(b) in accordance with any conditions stipulated on the certificate.

The International Union of Operating Engineers is calling for mandatory training and regulations governing crane assembly and dismantling following Monday’s devastating tower crane accident in Kelowna.

This Union wants specifics relating to assembly and dismantling. Often specialized crews are used for these tasks, but not a requirement at this time.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JLives wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 12:32 pmAt the end of the day it's up to Mission Group, as prime contractor, to ensure all subcontractors are following safety procedures.
Absolutely, though they can't control every single thing that the crane crew is doing. If they saw the shenanigans of this crew prior to this, they should have fired them and brought another company in.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Oh no. I had assumed that the 5th victim was one of the workers on the crane. Not that that would be any better...

5th victim of disaster ID'd

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... wna#340093
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

ferri wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 3:06 pm Oh no. I had assumed that the 5th victim was one of the workers on the crane. Not that that would be any better...

Poor guy wouldnt even know what hit him although that might be better in a way
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

soupy wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 1:12 pm
LANDM wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Yes, as he should have. People are trying to blame him and MG even knowing that it wasn’t his employees, crane, company, or control.
Why would he not distance himself appropriately? :135:
Because MG is Prime Contractor and they will have to prove their due diligence they did everything in their power to ensure site safety. They better hope they can.
If they didn't do everything that is reasonably practicable they will be receiving WorkSafeBC orders and possibly Penalties relating to the coordination of multi-employer worksites.
Of course.
However, this was a media event after a horrific accident in which he knew that many would point fingers at him, rather than a WorkSafeBC investigation or a court of law.
It was both correct and appropriate to explain the distinction of MG being separate from the crane contractor.
You and 71 others Like this post
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Oh crap. I know his wife :(
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

ferri wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 3:06 pm Oh no. I had assumed that the 5th victim was one of the workers on the crane. Not that that would be any better...

Yeah, this one is really :cuss: because he didn’t sign up for a dangerous occupation on a crane and had no connection.
Just an engineering tech dude sitting at his desk doing engineering stuff, having nothing to do with what was going on outside.
You and 71 others Like this post
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

"Crane operators are like pilots"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7eBPhgpNgE/
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Vacancyrate wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 4:59 pm "Crane operators are like pilots"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7eBPhgpNgE/
Smear campaign ???
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

MAPearce wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 5:04 pm Smear campaign ???
***They*** posted a video of them without PPE and the fact they were filming a commercial for internet fame minutes before the crane killed 5 people.

I looked on their Instagram.

That's what ***they*** posted.

Someone else pointed out this article.

Crane operators 'no different than pilots': Experts say crane safety top notch

https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn ... -top-notch

If you were getting onto a airplane and you saw the pilot with his shoes off and kicking back in the cockpit with his socks up on a controls, what would you think?

If there is a smear, they smeared themselves.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

If you were getting onto a airplane and you saw the pilot with his shoes off and kicking back in the cockpit with his socks up on a controls, what would you think?
Auto pilot........

Sometimes , the "plane" is better off driving itself BUT being in a trade , comfort boost performance ..

But I'm not here to throw :cuss: around ...

Imma wait and see what the "forensics" say before I throw stones ...

Mommas lost babies . Wives lost husbands . Children lost daddy's ..

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 15th, 2021, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 15th, 2021, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoted. Left no response
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 11:24 am I wonder where some of those posting here, get their information.
First, there was one man, the operator was on the crane when it fell
Two Stemmer brothers and owners of the Leibherr crane were on the ground, along with a 21 year old who was on his first day of work.(He had worked for the Stemmer's in the past, several years ago)
The vertical, not the horizontal was collapsing at the top triangular building support, but stayed at the vertical.The boom had fallen
The lower support is where the workman was seen making his way back to safety in the building from the vertical, still standing after the collapse.
It is interesting that there is no training for crane workers or operators, as now advocated by the Operating Engineers, and as they have been doing for many years.
Also noted how quick CEO Mission Group Jonathon Freisen quickly distanced the Mission group: " the crane and operators were not part of his work force."
Working on the cheap, non union, untrained is a way of the world now.
Would proper training have prevented this terrible accident? Maybe. maybe not.Engineering analysis that will come might provide some answers.
I agree with you in regards to your query in regards to union workers. And I personally don't think it would have happened. Because unions and workers have to keep their noses squeaky clean. Other wise every Tom, Dick and Harry who was jealous of the union workers would be all over their government party for it. People always say how slow unions did things. But there were hardly any injuries neither. Most times being methodical and practical is better than "git er done"! and then whoops!

MG and CEO can try to distance themselves if they like. But it wont make a difference. Every rock will be turned - and every document will be exposed.

Return to “Central Okanagan”