Crane collapse downtown

Vacancyrate
Banned

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by Vacancyrate »

MAPearce wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 5:25 pm Mommas lost babies . Wives lost husbands . Children lost daddy's ..

*removed*

The crane workers were very well paid for the risks they took on willingly.

They were not public servants that died in the line of duty.

They were people trying to make money building luxury condos.

The guy in the office did not assume risk willingly nor was he paid to do so. The office workers actions, behavior, attitude and conduct have no bearing at all on the accident that occurred. He might have been a terrible person and didnt even believe in Santa Claus or ever wear his seat belt - but that has nothing to do with the accident and nobody is talking about that.

The operators/workers were ultimately the ones responsible here. Their actions, behavior, attitude and conduct on the job are all RELEVANT TO THE DISCUSSION and it is actually disrespectful to the office worker to start putting these people above critique. Are we talking about the PERSONAL LIVES or character of the deceased? No, we're talking about their actions on the job and their work-related Instagram accounts.

I feel bad for everyone involved but 99.9% chance the crane didnt just fail on it's own.
Last edited by ferri on Jul 15th, 2021, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

blais65

Post by blais65 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 7:08 pm
Whoaa,he's not WCB,but we all know that this will be a huge part of there investigation and most likely come to the same conclusions that many have come to....Human error caused this tragedy. :135:
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Vacancyrate wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 5:13 pm

***They*** posted a video of them without PPE and the fact they were filming a commercial for internet fame minutes before the crane killed 5 people.

I looked on their Instagram.

That's what ***they*** posted.
This will likely impact insurance payouts and not in a good way for the contractor and the developer.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

crookedmember wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 9:56 pmThis will likely impact insurance payouts and not in a good way for the contractor and the developer.

Who pays and why will be an interesting legal battle. There are sites where you are not permitted phones on site. I wonder how this incident will impact the use of phones and social media. I also have a suspicion that the operator wasnt wearing a seat belt. I have done some safety and getting equipment operators to wear seat belts was a nightmare. And you knew that they took it off as soon as you turned your back. Not saying that the seatbelt would have helped per se. But it would be an indication of the attitude and culture of the safety in that company.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Vacancyrate wrote: Jul 14th, 2021, 6:00 pm
Asking basic questions and noticing that workers are not wearing basic PPE and posting to Instagram on their cell phones a minute before a crane fell on a office worker and killed him is RESPECTING THE DEAD.
Amen.

I'm still waiting to hear something from Mission Group that isn't cookie cutter press release "our thoughts are with bla bla bla" while they lawyer up and wait for this to fade away from people's minds and the media.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

techrtr wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 9:55 am What a terrible summer this has been. First the KSS kids and now this. I feel so bad for those poor guys and their families. I wonder if the rush to get these buildings up is causing companies to compromise safety.
They are behind schedule. I believe this tower was due spring 2021.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Scrobins94 wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 12:31 am

They are behind schedule. I believe this tower was due spring 2021.

The cab portion of the crane crashed down the elevator shaft and collapsed one of the floors below. Wondering how extensive the damage is . . . and if people might be anxious about moving into this tower, especially after the reports come out.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

EVERYTHING will be Inspected, Repaired, Inspected again before anyone moves in there..
So you can rest now and not worry about it, they are taking care of it.. :smt045
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

The cab portion of the crane crashed down the elevator shaft and collapsed one of the floors below.
Not true. The crane was mounted on the exterior of the building and the cab fell outside the building. The elevator shaft forms part of the central core in the center of the building no where near where the crane was mounted or fell.
Wondering how extensive the damage is . . . and if people might be anxious about moving into this tower, especially after the reports come out.
Any damaged areas of the building will be repaired then inspected and done so far in excess of any inspections done on the rest of the building
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 10:31 pm
crookedmember wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 9:56 pmThis will likely impact insurance payouts and not in a good way for the contractor and the developer.

Who pays and why will be an interesting legal battle. There are sites where you are not permitted phones on site. I wonder how this incident will impact the use of phones and social media. I also have a suspicion that the operator wasnt wearing a seat belt. I have done some safety and getting equipment operators to wear seat belts was a nightmare. And you knew that they took it off as soon as you turned your back. Not saying that the seatbelt would have helped per se. But it would be an indication of the attitude and culture of the safety in that company.
One question will probably be did MG's safety officer know the crane operator had been posting to instagram for months.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

crookedmember wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 10:21 amOne question will probably be did MG's safety officer know the crane operator had been posting to instagram for months.
Well, posting pretty pictures on Instagram is one thing - and most pictures they have are whatever, nothing special though there's couple of questionable.

However, the story/video that was saved before it became unavailable (as they disappear after 24 hours) was rather damning.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Ultimately, the building will be completed, and to quote Mission Group CEO Jonathan Friesen early on when the marketing began"they can be purchased and rented out when you are not there" :200:
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

crookedmember wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 10:21 am One question will probably be did MG's safety officer know the crane operator had been posting to instagram for months.
The Instagram page actually links to Mission Group's Instagram. He tagged them.

They knew.
elkrub

Post by elkrub »

I don’t see any problem with people taking videos or pictures of work area whether it be a construction worker on a house or machinist in a machine shop or an employee at a Pilates studio taking pictures of the equipment and how to use it!
Don’t try and tell me there Isn’t a single pilot out there that took a picture of there cockpit…there’s probably many get used to it that’s reality now!!
Has absolutely nothing to do with the Tragic day on the crane.

Return to “Central Okanagan”