The Green Barns

elkrub

The Green Barns

Post by elkrub »

Any Green Barns open yet in Vernon?
I think they sell Chilliwack corn….my Fav!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: The Green Barns

Post by oneh2obabe »

From their FB page

The Sparkes Corn Barn
July 11 at 7:18 PM ·
It’s official! Sparkes Corn Barn is geared up and ready for opening day! 😎Our Luckakuck and Agassiz locations will be open this Monday and Tuesday, 10:00am-6:00pm. All of our other Fraser Valley corn barns open on Wednesday. All Vernon locations will be open on Tuesday.

4 locations in Vernon according to their web site

https://www.facebook.com/chilliwackcorn
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 16th, 2021, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

There is an article on Castanet too: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... l-not-open
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

The Sparkes Corn Barn sells a quality product & to have a Kelowna farmer complaining about another farming family from Chilliwack selling their product here goes against the entire free enterprise system ?

The Coquihalla Hwy. changed things & Kelowna isn't isolated anymore & now there is competition. This Kelowna farmer could sell his corn in Chilliwack if he chose to do so ? Kelowna fruit is sold to markets worldwide.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

one wheel wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 11:33 am The Sparkes Corn Barn sells a quality product & to have a Kelowna farmer complaining about another farming family from Chilliwack selling their product here goes against the entire free enterprise system ?

The Coquihalla Hwy. changed things & Kelowna isn't isolated anymore & now there is competition. This Kelowna farmer could sell his corn in Chilliwack if he chose to do so ? Kelowna fruit is sold to markets worldwide.
Competition is actually a good thing, because it’s causes improvement of a product. Now if Chilliwack corn producer can still make it worth their time and energy to sell their product in Okanagan (because there are Stands in Vernon area), then what’s up with local producer (because they have absolutely no transportation costs).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
elkrub

Post by elkrub »

That's the only Corn we eat! Lived in Alberta a long time ago, all we ate was Taber Corn.
Here its Chilliwack hands Down!!
elkrub

Post by elkrub »

I'd like to know who the local producer....
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^No idea if this is the farmer complaining this year but he was back in this article from 2015.
“Competition is fine, and I don't want to be thought of as a whiner,” says Kelowna farmer Kevin Day, whose family derives about 20 per cent of its farm income from corn sales.

“But I do think the public, especially those people who really want to support local farmers, should know they aren't helping the local farming community if they're buying their corn from these Sparkes' stands,” Day said.
https://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news ... 5fe5d.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Whomever sells Peaches & Cream is were I go... of course if I feel like I will have the time, I will grow my own.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
elkrub

Post by elkrub »

Picked up 13 for $11.50 in Vernon at Sparks Corn Barn.
Wow are they Good…

Return to “North Okanagan”