Electric Vehicles

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by OKkayak »

spooker wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 2:00 pm And those places I feel you are inferring would also be small enough to not require the solutions that are available in the lower mainland ...
And thats the problem, because those places are small, they lack various essential services such as work, schools, grocery shopping, entertainment, all things that will require people driving more miles in a year than people who live in areas where there are viable options to get around.
spooker wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 2:00 pmBut as we can see, even Vernon is starting to build more options for alternatives ... and Penticton too (i.e. lake-to-lake bike lane) ...
Bikes are not a viable option in North America, they are a recreational vehicle, the distances we need to cycle to get from Point A to Point B is simply to vast to cover for the non-enthusiast, let alone people won't be hoping on their bikes to scoot across town in the middle of summer or winter, no matter how many bike lanes you put in place. The only viable option for cyclists would be a heck of a lot more transit service so they can have a short ride to a bus stop with ample bike parking, and for the majority of BC, that is decades off.
spooker wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 2:00 pm
The other side of that coin is what we have become accustomed to ... the rate at which we live, is it viable? (waxing philosophic)
Things will change, there is no question about that. North America is half a century behind places like Europe and Asia in regards to our personal vehicle dependency, and given our mindset, or sparse geography and the way we've sprawled out cities, it will take decades to change.
Last edited by OKkayak on Jul 10th, 2021, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

seewood wrote: Jul 5th, 2021, 6:46 am
EV's are in they're infancy and I suspect there are plenty of bugs to work out, in the mean time my little car with 500 km range and a 10 minute fill and the F350 to pack the camper and boat and a 1000 km range with a 15 minute fill are going to be parked in my drive.
Yeah, but you gotta fill up with premium in your car - ouch :biggrin:

And more cars these days are relying on premium - sheesh.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

seewood wrote: Jul 5th, 2021, 6:46 am EV's are in they're infancy and I suspect there are plenty of bugs to work out, in the mean time my little car with 500 km range and a 10 minute fill and the F350 to pack the camper and boat and a 1000 km range with a 15 minute fill are going to be parked in my drive.
OKkayak wrote: Jul 10th, 2021, 12:00 am Yeah, but you gotta fill up with premium in your car - ouch :biggrin:

And more cars these days are relying on premium - sheesh.
I’ve never used anything other then regular, over the years I’ve checked numerous brands.
The 2 brands I use are either chevron or esso, so whatever additives these 2 use my mileage is good.

As for anti-knock... best cure is regular maintenance at reliable shop.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote: Jul 10th, 2021, 12:21 am
I’ve never used anything other then regular, over the years I’ve checked numerous brands.
The 2 brands I use are either chevron or esso, so whatever additives these 2 use my mileage is good.

As for anti-knock... best cure is regular maintenance at reliable shop.
Point I'm making Gordon is that several cars nowadays require 91.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

OKkayak wrote: Jul 10th, 2021, 12:00 am And more cars these days are relying on premium - sheesh.
Way I see it is cars with fewer cylinders use less fuel, however they need power to move that weight around so turbos are installed on many models. This may increase compression to a point where the higher octane is required to stop any pre-detonation.
I thought for the most part, normally aspirated engines can use 87 or 89 octane just fine.
If I were to use 87 in my Golf R, I could cook the pistons before long and engine would be junked.

Electric vehicle, just don't have to worry about this. Just be patient if you have to stop in Hope for example for several hours either waiting for a charging station then actually charging the thing before you get on the trans Canada parking lot as you approach the city.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
BC Landlord
Lord of the Board

Post by BC Landlord »

OKkayak wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 11:44 pm Things will change, there is no question about that. North America is half a century behind places like Europe and Asia in regards to our personal vehicle dependency, and given our mindset, or sparse geography and the way we've sprawled out cities, it will take decades to change.
Yet, so many people (myself included) leave Europe for North America. From this perspective, I don't think I could go back to that lifestyle, and I wouldn't like to see such a change here. Europe is overrated for the most part.

"Sprawled out" NA cities reflect the majority of people's aspirations when it comes to the quality of living, such as having a usable backyard vs apartment on n-th floor. Plus, there is no shortage of land here.
Last edited by BC Landlord on Jul 10th, 2021, 10:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

In new cars the sensors and computers will automatically adjust for any knock/pinging.

Last 2 cars have been 4 cyl turbos and never had a problem running reg gas.
Hafa adai
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 10th, 2021, 8:42 am In new cars the sensors and computers will automatically adjust for any knock/pinging.

The advent of direct injection gasoline engines have been a real game changer in this regard. Previously you had to keep the boost low if you wanted to retain off-boost power & efficiency while using regular fuel. But nowadays you can have your cake and eat it too as DI engines allow for higher boost (14+ PSI) with regular fuel. The downside is a more complex engine, more parts and points of failure, etc.

The 2.0 Liter ecoboost engine in my wife's Ford Escape has really impressed us. Good on fuel and enough power to put a smile on just about anyone's face.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Many luxury cars require premium but some "regular" cars are 91 recommended.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzela ... 2bcea63abc
15 ‘Regular’ Cars That Take Premium Fuel

Buick Envision (with 2.0L turbo)
Buick Regal (all models)
Buick Regal TourX (all models)
Chevrolet Equinox (with 2.0-L turbo)
Chevrolet Malibu (with 2.0-L turbo)
Fiat 500L (all models)
GMC Terrain (with 2.0-L turbo)
Honda Civic (with 1.5-L turbo)
Kia Stinger (all models)
MINI Cooper (all models)
MINI Clubman (all models)
MINI Countryman (all models)
Mitsubishi Outlander (with 3.0-L V6)
Nissan Maxima (all models)
Volkswagen Arteon (all models)
I would buy any of these before even getting into a golf cart.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 10th, 2021, 8:42 am In new cars the sensors and computers will automatically adjust for any knock/pinging.

Gets a bit more complicated than knocks and pings, has more to do with performance and software requirements. Take the Golf R and Tiguan for example, both have the same 2.0 EA888 Gen3 engine, turbos are different and a few other hardware upgrades but mainly software mapping is the big difference, the Tiguan requires 87 Octane and the R 91, pump 87 into the R for an extended period of time and you'll be getting some serious problems down the road that could even void the warranty. The wife has an 18 Alltrack which has the 1.8 turbo, 87 octane, swap out the turbo to an IS20 or IS38 and get a flash tune and you'll have to run 91. Been trying to convince the Missus with that, get a Stage 2 tune, drop the car 2 inches, throw in an AWE track exhaust and that'll be one sexy ride :biggrin:

Some cars like the last gen Civic have 91 recommended (depending on the engine option), you can safely run 87 but the manufacturer advises you that you will have a decrease in performance.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

OKkayak wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 1:23 pm you can safely run 87 but the manufacturer advises you that you will have a decrease in performance.
I've had a decrease in performance for a few years now.

Other than some whining from Mrs Suds it hasn't bothered me much. :biggrin:
Hafa adai
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 1:28 pm
OKkayak wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 1:23 pm you can safely run 87 but the manufacturer advises you that you will have a decrease in performance.
I've had a decrease in performance for a few years now.

Other than some whining from Mrs Suds it hasn't bothered me much. :biggrin:
So therefore, the "decrease in performance", is related to the energy remaining in your hearing aids?
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

^^^ at one time there was only a 3.5 cent per/litre difference in each level of gasoline... example
Regular $1.00
Mid $1.035
Supreme $1.07
Supreme plus 1.105 (Chevron only)

This certainly isn’t the case anymore.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 3:24 pm ^^^ at one time there was only a 3.5 cent per/litre difference in each level of gasoline... example
Regular $1.00
Mid $1.035
Supreme $1.07

At todays prices the performance increase doesn't justify the cost difference to go to the higher grade.

I have read many articles that say to not waste your money on high octane fuel.
Hafa adai
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 3:38 pm
GordonH wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 3:24 pm ^^^ at one time there was only a 3.5 cent per/litre difference in each level of gasoline... example
Regular $1.00
Mid $1.035
Supreme $1.07

At todays prices the performance increase doesn't justify the cost difference to go to the higher grade.

I have read many articles that say to not waste your money on high octane fuel.
Though some vehicles require premium, many people still insist on wasting their money on it.
Why would you put premium in a pick-up? Watched a woman at Costco fill her older F150 with premium. She took 100 litres and paid something like $.19 a litre more than regular. Maybe her husband insists on that. [icon_lol2.gif]
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”