Back Country Ban

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Back Country Ban

Post by Symbonite »

I think its time to ban any back country human activity on crown land.

and I think this should be happening more frequently and maybe even earlier in the season as it seems we have a fire every year...and not a small one...but large aggressive fires.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Back Country Ban

Post by GordonH »

Symbonite wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 9:32 pm I think its time to ban any back country human activity on crown land.

and I think this should be happening more frequently and maybe even earlier in the season as it seems we have a fire every year...and not a small one...but large aggressive fires.
Yep, the forests are tinder dry. All one has to look at is how quickly these fires are growing.
So far the Kootenay region has been spared from forest fires.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

I wonder what will happen when we go through 10 straight years of wild fires and forest fires? And I wonder how much forest we will have left to use as a resource?
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Ya i"ve tried that in the past phoned parks and forestry suggesting a ban and got nothing but attitude and lip service i'm thinking it does'nt matter if they're home's arent affected
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
roseridge
Board Meister

Post by roseridge »

Symbonite wrote: Jul 15th, 2021, 9:32 pm I think its time to ban any back country human activity on crown land.

How about ban the sale of smoking materials when the fire risk is extreme - sounds just as heavy handed. Not everyone who goes in the backcountry partakes in high risk activities - such as hikers, mountain bikers, etc.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

roseridge wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 6:38 pm How about ban the sale of smoking materials when the fire risk is extreme - sounds just as heavy handed. Not everyone who goes in the backcountry partakes in high risk activities - such as hikers, mountain bikers, etc.
Yet a mountain bike pedal hitting a rock has been a cause of a forest fire.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I'd like to see barriers on some roads around here. Lots of green forest above us and would like to keep it that way. Lightening strikes? have to have a storm first. Lots of motor cycles, quads, side by sides roaming the hills. Close them until a decent rain happens.
They were closed in 2003 and manned/security 24/7, wonder if that is being considered now?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
roseridge
Board Meister

Post by roseridge »

seewood wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 7:31 pm I'd like to see barriers on some roads around here. Lots of green forest above us and would like to keep it that way. Lightening strikes? have to have a storm first. Lots of motor cycles, quads, side by sides roaming the hills. Close them until a decent rain happens.
They were closed in 2003 and manned/security 24/7, wonder if that is being considered now?
Back then, it was considered an area restriction, to keep people out of the active firefighting zone - the fire was dangerous and unpredictable - and the closure ran along the south side of Highway 33, to the 201 FSR. They have such area restrictions near the OK falls fire, and the Brenda mines fire. Back in 2003, could still go to Greystokes, Postill lake, etc. It is also the law that all ATV's and motorbikes going into the backcountry have spark arrestors, subject to a penalty of $1150.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Arawana and Smethurst roads in Naramata were blocked off. Fire had gone and burned up Kelowna by then.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Sitting on my deck right now as three car loads of young folks head up the forestry service road with tunes pumping im guessing nothing good will come from that
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

seewood wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 9:31 pm Arawana and Smethurst roads in Naramata were blocked off. Fire had gone and burned up Kelowna by then.
It was still part of the area restriction as it pertained to an active wildfire.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

roseridge wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 6:38 pm How about ban the sale of smoking materials when the fire risk is extreme - sounds just as heavy handed. Not everyone who goes in the backcountry partakes in high risk activities - such as hikers, mountain bikers, etc.
That's true, many (I would even go so far as to say most) people go into the bush and do things that don't start fires. Still, with the number of new fires starting everyday, when there has been no lightning activity, it might be time to sacrifice some recreational pursuits in the forests for a while. It's impossible to restrict access to just the folks who might start a fire, so I do believe it's time to shut down access to the wilderness for everyone until the fire hazard abates.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Just came back from an amazing back roads trip.

Spark arrestor on my bike.

Some of you on here don't understand life.

You'll never ban me from the Backcountry under the premise I'll accidentally or on purpose start a fire.

The summer is when the Backcountry is most important. I'll stay out of the way of fire crews and respect all fire bans and ensure my equipment is safe. Beyond that the rest of you authoritarian jerks can pound sand.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

What do you need a rifle for?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

oldtrucker wrote: Jul 19th, 2021, 12:03 pm ^^^Like^^^
Today I got up at sunrise ,grabbed a rifle and went up a forestry road. I do the same thing just about every day....too hot any other time of day. If I couldn't do that anymore until fall....well, that would just suck. Back country is my natural habitat.....you wouldn't want a animal like me cooped up and wandering the streets here in town would you?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “Social Concerns”