Crane collapse downtown

normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by normaM »

I was blamed as being an armchair critic.. now ppl dragging the death thro the Mud
This place is seriously starting to suck
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Yes. We can absolutely blame the indiscretions. In regards to the investigation by Worksafe it is black and white. It makes sense there is emotions involved and feeling sorry for those in the incident that didn't do things properly. I would think that dad would have preferred doing things by the book so his boy was still alive. But alas - that didn't happen. And mentioning isn't insensitive or malicious. Its cause and effect - that's it
Please .. Do elaborate about the WorkSafe investigation ..

I understand that it isn't finished yet ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

MAPearce wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 2:34 pm
Now the whole stemmercrane instagram page is gone.
Can you blame them ???

With this kangaroo court going on , I wouldn't even have one ...
It may not be visible to us but I can practically guarantee that Worksafe BC have it saved.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

This will also have a huge impact on Stemmers ability to bid on tendered jobs. Possibly mission group as well. Safety records are part of the biidding processes.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

So.. is this going to affect you, me , or 95 percent of the others.. on this forum.?
Let them finish the investigation.. .... myself I trust they will do the job... and I would bet they wont come on here for advice..,
It will all get sorted out.. :..
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Jul 17th, 2021, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 17th, 2021, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 5:42 pm This will also have a huge impact on Stemmers ability to bid on tendered jobs. Possibly mission group as well. Safety records are part of the biidding processes.
Would not surprise me if they never put forth another bid. Family business with just the father surviving, their biggest asset lost, fines/legal woes, etc. I think the father will retire, never replace the crane, and that'll be the end of it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

TylerM4 wrote: Jul 18th, 2021, 7:34 am I think the father will retire, never replace the crane, and that'll be the end of it.
That's a definite possibility and no one would fault him for retiring after losing 2 sons in this tragedy.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

It was a relatively new company.
My guess is the father started it and built it up mainly to pass along to his children.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 9:25 pm So.. is this going to affect you, me , or 95 percent of the others.. on this forum.?
Let them finish the investigation.. .... myself I trust they will do the job... and I would bet they wont come on here for advice..,
It will all get sorted out.. :..

Investigations and reports can take a couple years. This is a place for laymen to discuss current events.

While they may not come here for advice, investigators and lawyers involved in the collapse certainly monitor this and other forums (such as reddit where workers are dropping tidbits).

The collapse of the crane is fairly big, albeit tragic, news, and people are going to put their two cents in.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

crookedmember wrote: Jul 18th, 2021, 9:39 aminvestigators and lawyers involved in the collapse certainly monitor this and other forums (such as reddit where workers are dropping tidbits).
[icon_lol2.gif]

This is where they find all the expert opinions and working theories lol.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

This is the best post I've ever read on here. Also the most educated and rational.

All the rich spoiled kids, Capitalists, have zero, and I mean zero clue on how things operate on a municipal level.

So when they start building these highrises, did they happen to mention to any of the crews that the nearest rescue crew for this type of ongoing construction is a day away?

Did they mention to all the businesses underneath that there was extreme death hazards dangling right above them?

This particular tower has already cracked numerous existing buildings next door, shattered glass and other objects while they were putting in the piles. Not once did they mention this would happen during the construction phase. Even if they did mention it, they will just roll their eyes and ignore you because some feel this is necessary for the development of Kelowna.

So, all you experts that have been employed for a career with the city of Kelowna, me being one, tell me why they had to change technologies to put the new piles in the ground for the new tower. I can guarantee you it wasn't because they were concerned with the noise factor. The ground is different here. So different that they had to change technologies from the norm because the old technology is somehow damaging buildings. Off topic I know, but I have so many of these things I can share.

Unfortunately if you look on these forums and see much of the regular posters, you will quickly learn they are likely working for these rich spoiled capitalist children.

Have I ever mentioned that Kelowna only has 23 firefighters on duty in the entire city?! The NFPA, which is respected in absolutely everything to do with safety, recommends 100 trained firefighters to deal with a high-rise. To accomodate the smaller growing municipalities, they drew a line in the sand and said the absolute minimum is 43 within 600 seconds.

Why is it that this particular NFPA code is ignored and shut down by anyone pro towers? Did Kelowna find something that no one else in the world has ever figured out?

All you people should be ashamed for assuming we have to provide housing for everyone that wants to move here. I say get out...we don't want anymore people. We can't afford it and we can't guarantee your safety. Period.

This building is a curse and I hope no one buys into it and it becomes a memorial for these poor workers and families.
Excellent post.

I miss the 'like button.'

Its time to STOP building these high rises....................we don't want them and we don't want anymore.
If this tragedy isn't reason enough...............I don't know what it will take.

Kelowna traffic congestion is a nightmare...........never being addressed. We can't accomodate more people, and this city is not about housing the rich, nor about mega contractors buying their way in.

Lets take a breather, grieve the lost individuals and come up with another plan.

To quote a previous post: "ARE THEY DONE YET?"
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Are people aware that the Bertram St. condo which is evacuated has had no power since the crane fell ?
That place has about 60 units, I couldn't imagine the stench from the fridge's / freezers in this heat or what might have leaked out onto the floors & carpets ?
No one can get access to their vehicle either ? The residents are staying in hotels & haven't heard when they might be allowed to return ?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

@just_browsing - I hope you plan on selling your car then, since they are nothing but a curse in many cases as well.

You also come across as someone who can't accept growth, yet work for the people who are charged with managing it. :200: That's rich.

I'm not really aware of any places that cap growth by locking the gates so to speak. Do you have some examples to provide?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

:up: :up:

Ditto...

I was first informed about the potential for high rise foundation problems here over 10 years ago by a cousin who works as an inspector for Stantec and friend who owned a local HVAC company.

At that time my friend was installing GPS monitors onto some downtown buildings; and regularly mentioned how much the buildings then, could be seen seasonally moving out of alignment on temporal data gathered over a year. I'm sure the city engineers are aware of this, and will have a hard time coming up with excuses should something even more calamitous occurs here.

The firefighting issue itself is an indication of how local council has chosen to play a long game dice with the developer$.

:132:

Probably of greatest future concern, is the issue of building displacement, as more and more of these concrete mountains are being built side by side on swamp land...

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1007/BF02826755

In my opinion, it's just a matter of time before this crane collapse tragedy will pale in comparison to an entire building or 2 collapsing here, just as has recently happened in Florida.

It's already clear that, the surrounding soils around this site were already disturbed to the point of displacing and damaging surrounding buildings during construction. Can't wait to see what happens with the old, derelict Willow Inn site.

Keep rolling those bones city council...

https://www.bing.com/th/id/OGC.c8820b27 ... GXbtmZM%3d

Return to “Central Okanagan”