Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
sweetglass

Post by sweetglass »

dreamon wrote: Jul 19th, 2021, 2:59 pm
Scrobins94 wrote: Jul 18th, 2021, 6:00 pm Mission Group's last social media post was 5 days ago.

So silent...

I wonder where Randy Shier, Jon Friesen, Luke Turri are hiding.
I have no doubt that MG are reeling from this disaster.
MG is a victim of someone's monumentally poor decision making (at the end of the day a human is to blame) in that their project is delayed, marred and a bunch more work created. This is not take away from other victims or there families but to point out that MG is a victim here.

Whether you like development and developers or not, high rises or not you have to hand it to MG for continually creating homes that people want (as evidenced by all the sale, guess that signifies that some people Do ant to live in a Kelowna high rise).

MG is a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. They has most likely received legal advice to do and say very little at this point.
"MG is a victim of someone's monumentally poor decision making (at the end of the day a human is to blame) in that their project is delayed, marred and a bunch more work created."
Nice try - the fish stinks from the head down. MG is the overall site supervisor on this project and WorkSafe BC risk and liability are the number 1 priorities. MG clearly failed to understand their responsibilities re: Site Safety
I see a failure of management from the top down that allowed this preventable accident to happen. Whose is the SIte Manager?
Building highrises on what is lake bottom - foolish in the longterm. The Cancer Clinic is an example of sinking and settling with those 8 tonne radiation pits causing sinkage during construction.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

sweetglass wrote: Jul 19th, 2021, 7:04 pm"MG is a victim of someone's monumentally poor decision making (at the end of the day a human is to blame) in that their project is delayed, marred and a bunch more work created."
Nice try - the fish stinks from the head down. MG is the overall site supervisor on this project and WorkSafe BC risk and liability are the number 1 priorities. MG clearly failed to understand their responsibilities re: Site Safety
I see a failure of management from the top down that allowed this preventable accident to happen. Whose is the SIte Manager?
Building highrises on what is lake bottom - foolish in the longterm. The Cancer Clinic is an example of sinking and settling with those 8 tonne radiation pits causing sinkage during construction.
Haven't you heard? Some people feel very strongly that sensible opinions based on past evidence is irrelevant until the investigation is done.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ especially since vast majority of what been said/posted is purely speculative.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Talked to a young relative on the weekend who works in construction.

They said when something bad happens, the bosses are all like "safety is our #1 concern."

Then in a few weeks, they never hear about safety again. Just do the job. We've got deadlines.

There are a lot of cranes in Kelowna. If all of this speculation on the internet causes one boss to get his fat gluteus maximus in gear and prevents just one accident, it's worth it.

Of course, this is all just speculation.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Ohhh Geeeeezzzzz.., you finally figured out how things actually work... :smt045
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

We have "WorksafeBC" providing regular inspections, daily on site safety meetings every morning, a reporting system for all employees to provide information that MUST be recorded in a log book of ANY safety concerns, anonymous tip lines directly to WorksafeBC, 1st Aid/safety representatives on every job site.

If anyone, at any time, had any concern whatsoever, there are so many different avenues that they could have taken to report their concerns.

Why didn't anyone do this?

Because they didn't see any problem to report.

This was a freak accident.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

alanjh595 wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 12:04 pm We have "WorksafeBC" providing regular inspections, daily on site safety meetings every morning, a reporting system for all employees to provide information that MUST be recorded in a log book of ANY safety concerns, anonymous tip lines directly to WorksafeBC, 1st Aid/safety representatives on every job site.

If anyone, at any time, had any concern whatsoever, there are so many different avenues that they could have taken to report their concerns.

Human error.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

alanjh595 wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 12:04 pm
Simply more unfounded speculation.

Freak accident implies a combination of factors that were highly unlikely to occur along with an aspect of "nobody could have seen that coming".

Perhaps that's what happened here. But it's far more likely this was a case of "Somebody did/didn't do something they should/shouldn't have done" AKA Human error.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

TylerM4 wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 4:21 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 12:04 pm
Simply more unfounded speculation.

Freak accident implies a combination of factors that were highly unlikely to occur along with an aspect of "nobody could have seen that coming".

Perhaps that's what happened here. But it's far more likely this was a case of "Somebody did/didn't do something they should/shouldn't have done" AKA Human error.
👍🏻
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Anonymous123 wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 3:37 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 12:04 pm We have "WorksafeBC" providing regular inspections, daily on site safety meetings every morning, a reporting system for all employees to provide information that MUST be recorded in a log book of ANY safety concerns, anonymous tip lines directly to WorksafeBC, 1st Aid/safety representatives on every job site.

Human error.
Maybe.....we will have to wait until the expert investigators have concluded their assessment. I am Interested as to what the outcome will be, and I will wait patiently for the results.
Until then, I will not pass judgement.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

If you really believe this was a freak accident, you should go back to page one and look at the three camera captures that Troy posted.

First one all looks normal, second one the jib that is supposed to be level, is at about a 45° angle which strongly indicates a loss of balance which is crucial during disassembly, then third picture it's gone. The location of the trolley and the weight it's holding would dictate whether the jib is balanced or not.

Look at where the trolley is in the first photo where all is normal, then compare it to the second photo and you'll note it's very close to the cab causing the counter weight to flip the jib up.

The only way this would be a freak accident is if the trolley started moving on its own. Not saying that couldn't happen, but it is a new crane, from a highly respected manufacturer.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Idon't believe that this was a freak accident either ... BUT out of respect for the families involved , I hope the report is never made public ..

Just like the Tolko tug "accident" , the families don't need the smear in a time of great loss ....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I will wait for the completion of the accident report before passing blame on anyone.

At least I have an open mind and am willing to accept the results from the professional investigators.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

The purpose of the investigation and report is not to place blame, but to find out what happened and why, and how it can be prevented from happening again. It absolutely should be public.

Return to “Central Okanagan”