Bike lane for Penticton

Nooby
Übergod

Re: Bike lane for Penticton

Post by Nooby »

I think every single council member should be obligated to show up with their bikes and take the 'community ride' (fat chance that'll happen).
spooker

Post by spooker »

Just got some new spandex that I'll be wearing for the ride ... will post some pictures after I enjoy the route with my family
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Good for you. Now that you have gone public with the fact you are now wearing spandex I think we can now call you a spandex bandit! :130: Go Spooker go!
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

spooker wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 8:39 pm Just got some new spandex that I'll be wearing for the ride ... will post some pictures after I enjoy the route with my family
Would you and your family be pedaling from Kelowna,? or are you loading up the bikes in your F-350 diesel and hauling them to Penticton? Remember, there's no where to park. :biggrin:
spooker

Post by spooker »

southy wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 9:06 pm Good for you. Now that you have gone public with the fact you are now wearing spandex I think we can now call you a spandex bandit! :130: Go Spooker go!
I knew you could appreciate it ... and I actually said I wear spandex at times back in 2018 on another thread here ... probably earlier too but I was doing a newest to oldest search at the time and that was what I came across first ...
cr125 wrote: Jul 22nd, 2021, 11:27 am
spooker wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 8:39 pm Just got some new spandex that I'll be wearing for the ride ... will post some pictures after I enjoy the route with my family
Would you and your family be pedaling from Kelowna,? or are you loading up the bikes in your F-350 diesel and hauling them to Penticton? Remember, there's no where to park. :biggrin:
We're driving down in the truck, it works out well because a friend had just purchased a large piece of equipment from someone in Penticton and had asked us for help transporting it back to Kelowna ... already made plans to leave it in the driveway for a bit so we can ride around town for a few hours (and probably spend some money) ... I'll try and document any parking I find along the route since that seems to be everyone's worry ...
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Does this Iron/Man/Women thing contribute to the new and most wonderful bike lane?
Perhaps part of entry fee could go towards projects involving the cycling crowd....like widening the East side road, complete with rumble strips on the fog line, for these road warriors.
I believe if your going to host these get togethers their course should be maintained and as safe as possible for these cyclists and the motoring public.
User should pay, just like the motoring public does.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

cr125 wrote: Jul 28th, 2021, 11:17 am Does this Iron/Man/Women thing contribute to the new and most wonderful bike lane?
Perhaps part of entry fee could go towards projects involving the cycling crowd....like widening the East side road, complete with rumble strips on the fog line, for these road warriors.
I believe if your going to host these get togethers their course should be maintained and as safe as possible for these cyclists and the motoring public.
I haven't seen the proposed Ironman course for this year but would highly doubt that they would use the new bike lanes. More likely Main Street or Government Street/South Main, etc.
spooker

Post by spooker »

cr125 wrote: Jul 28th, 2021, 11:17 am Does this Iron/Man/Women thing contribute to the new and most wonderful bike lane?
Do you know that the City doesn't charge a fee to the organizers for use? Though since most of the route isn't on city owned roadways I'm not sure that would be something easy to quantify ...
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

it won't be Ironman entries using this bike lane. They go out on long rides to train for their event. Long rides down to Osoyoos, over to Cawston, etc. This lane will be used by commuters and pleasure bikers in town mostly.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Quick! It's happening in West Kelowna too! Let's start a thread in the other forum to complain about that city having to pay money (and get federal and provincial funds) for so-called "Active Transportation"

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... n-corridor

Or maybe since it's happening everywhere (even in smaller munipalities) we should rethink where society is going and support the effort to get our butts out of the driver's seat ...
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I do believe the topic of this thread is "Bike lane for Penticton". Need I say more!!
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

southy wrote: Jul 28th, 2021, 4:38 pm I do believe the topic of this thread is "Bike lane for Penticton". Need I say more!!
Just figured it was something the cycling grandfundo/iron man crowd could do, like donate some money to local projects, that promote cycling.

I know these people are probably not going to use the bike lane. But I hear they are asking for volunteers, to help with this event, so how about a contribution?
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

spooker wrote: Jul 28th, 2021, 3:45 pm Or maybe since it's happening everywhere (even in smaller munipalities) we should rethink where society is going and support the effort to get our butts out of the driver's seat ...
Maybe, ... Or maybe you should tell that to Penticton's substantial seniors population. But "planet-saving" zealots wouldn't take a "no" for answer, would they?
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I had to laugh when I read this story, especially the part underlined in Red, a quote by Matt Hopkins. Time to get with reality here; 1 million dollar grant is hardly 50% of an $8,000,000 price tag. Recent estimates state that it could be up to $15,000,000 by the time these drunken sailor bandits (Council) are finished. They are finished, alright; just wait til the next Municipal Election. Note: I realize that he was quoting this first phase of the project but further Government grants are not a certainty at all, especially with all the other more important expenditures happening (ie: Covid19, the Fires, etc).

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -on-Sunday

“I think the cost, you know, of course, it does cost money. I mean, you look at this project that we've got so far. It's almost 50 per cent paid for by grants, and the federal government's granting more money for active transportation so if the provincial government. So the timing is great,” Hopkins refuted.

“I don't think it's an expensive investment, quite frankly, but we'll see.”
spooker

Post by spooker »

pentona wrote: Aug 1st, 2021, 8:36 am I had to laugh when I read this story, especially the part underlined in Red, a quote by Matt Hopkins. Time to get with reality here; 1 million dollar grant is hardly 50% of an $8,000,000 price tag. Recent estimates state that it could be up to $15,000,000 by the time these drunken sailor bandits (Council) are finished. They are finished, alright; just wait til the next Municipal Election. Note: I realize that he was quoting this first phase of the project but further Government grants are not a certainty at all, especially with all the other more important expenditures happening (ie: Covid19, the Fires, etc).

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -on-Sunday

“I think the cost, you know, of course, it does cost money. I mean, you look at this project that we've got so far. It's almost 50 per cent paid for by grants, and the federal government's granting more money for active transportation so if the provincial government. So the timing is great,” Hopkins refuted.

“I don't think it's an expensive investment, quite frankly, but we'll see.”
But he wasn't referring to the total cost ... so calling him out on it seems like you're trying to pick a fight ... there is no guarantee on the rest of the project just like there is no guarantee on more grants ...

If the "recent estimates" to which you refer are based on the Western News coverage of the future projects report of $15MM being earmarked for future bike lane projects, that has nothing to do with the cost of this bike lane ... if I'm wrong about your source of information please help me out, I had questioned the reporter from WN previously when she reported $10MM without saying where that was coming from, but she never responded to phone messages, or internet requests ... inflating costs without reason is a bit specious

Return to “South Okanagan”