Back Country Ban

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Back Country Ban

Post by Symbonite »

seewood wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 7:31 pm I'd like to see barriers on some roads around here. Lots of green forest above us and would like to keep it that way. Lightening strikes? have to have a storm first. Lots of motor cycles, quads, side by sides roaming the hills. Close them until a decent rain happens.
They were closed in 2003 and manned/security 24/7, wonder if that is being considered now?
Like so true...I was driving by Mt Boucherie trail head last Saturday around 7pm and out comes two guys with Mountain bike....wait a second...they were not mountain bike they were dirt bikes...like WHAT? on a trail that people walk on...holy cow!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Sparki55 wrote: Jul 19th, 2021, 11:51 am Just came back from an amazing back roads trip.

Spark arrestor on my bike.

Some of you on here don't understand life.

You'll never ban me from the Backcountry under the premise I'll accidentally or on purpose start a fire.

The summer is when the Backcountry is most important. I'll stay out of the way of fire crews and respect all fire bans and ensure my equipment is safe. Beyond that the rest of you authoritarian jerks can pound sand.
All it takes is that one accident.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Boosted632 wrote: Jul 19th, 2021, 6:20 pm What do you need a rifle for?
What do you need a hockey stick, baseball bat, rollerblades, scrapbooking kit, stamp collection, or TV for?
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

For some of us, it's the same as taking a bottle of water or a hat or a tube of sunscreen or a walking stick.

It's a tool used by outdoorspeople. If you don't want one, fine, but don't judge the rest of us.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Symbonite wrote: Jul 19th, 2021, 9:06 pm All it takes is that one accident.
Riding a motorcycle on a gravel road has such a small chance of starting a fire, it's almost zero.

If you think we need to go as far as banning travel to the backcountry then we also need to ban the following:
- hiking on trails, never know if a smoker will go for a hike and drop a but.
- no traveling on remote BC highways, too much chance for a smoker to drop by and light up the place. A stay in your local area must be enforced.
- Sale of all flammable material ceasing until the fire ban is over. No lighters, wood, matches, firestarter, etc. The only exception is a BBQ or hot water tank sparker, with no flame.
- No propane backyard or camping firepits, while safe they can be knocked over, or if being dumb and cooking over them the grease can start a larger fire.

So yes, all it takes is one accident. I draw the line at no campfires and correct safety equipment on equipment traveling in remote areas. You can choose to not think about the impact and risk of each activity and agree to ban all the ones you don't do but that is just lazy thinking.
Time4t

Post by Time4t »

There are actually experienced outdoorspeople who know how to be safe in the wilderness, and can function in a fire watch role as well. Carrying a firearm is just a tool, no different than an axe, fire extinguisher or a spare tire. Personally, I'm
not heading out to some areas for now as there is only one way in and out; and I have enough common sense to know that the safety margins are razor thin.

Backcountry fires will happen- even if they shut it down. Dangerous interface fires- right on top of us- will continue as people are simply not fire smart. my.02, ymmv
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

KiloHotel wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 3:18 pm Ah yes the old mantra of ceasing to live life by trying to stop life from happening in order to have a nice comfy warm sense of safety. Why live life when you are alive? Too much risk.
Yup, people loosing their homes. Its all good so you can have your s'mores :up:
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

oldtrucker wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 11:05 am
Gone_Fishin wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 10:52 am

For some of us, it's the same as taking a bottle of water or a hat or a tube of sunscreen or a walking stick.

It's a tool used by outdoorspeople. If you don't want one, fine, but don't judge the rest of us.
" If your boyfriend doesn't have a gun, ....he's a girlfriend."
-Kirsten Joy Weiss
Kinda hard to go shooting without a rifle.
You didnt say you were going shooting its not hunting season so no need for a rifle unless you're going shooting i guess. I spend lots of time in the woods as well but dont usually bring one of my guns if i dont have a tag for something. Anyway it was just a question no need for folks to get so defensive im not trying to take your guns away that would be our priminster that no one admits to voting for.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 10:52 am

Not judging easy big fella i have guns and hunt
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

KiloHotel wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 5:47 pm
OKkayak wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 5:36 pm
Yup, people loosing their homes. Its all good so you can have your s'mores :up:
Defend your home, get home insurance, get a rooftop sprinkler. Don't make your responsibilities, mine.
"Rooftop sprinklers void home insurance. The damage is caused by the home owner not the fire. Better off to let it burn. And to all those out in the back country, bring a shovel and a fire extinguisher. If you can't be bothered you don't belong out there.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

KiloHotel wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 5:47 pm Defend your home, get home insurance, get a rooftop sprinkler. Don't make your responsibilities, mine.
Clearly you have no idea what it's like when a wildfire comes through. Defending your home is impossible.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Catri wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 12:22 pm
Clearly you have no idea what it's like when a wildfire comes through. Defending your home is impossible.
Doesn't matter - its your responsibility. Don't be taken away his "rights" and "dignity" now [icon_lol2.gif]
heydaveking

Post by heydaveking »

Fancy wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 6:50 pm
roseridge wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 6:38 pm How about ban the sale of smoking materials when the fire risk is extreme - sounds just as heavy handed. Not everyone who goes in the backcountry partakes in high risk activities - such as hikers, mountain bikers, etc.
Yet a mountain bike pedal hitting a rock has been a cause of a forest fire.
That is complete nonsense.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

heydaveking wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 3:57 pm That is complete nonsense.
By all means contact the officials and explain why it's nonsense. Sparks can come from horses feet as well so just be aware of how dry it is out there.
U.S. Forest Service investigators say a bicycle pedal that scraped a rock and shot sparks on a mountain bike trail was responsible for a 122-acre blaze in the eastern Sierra this month, a finding that unleashed a firestorm of incredulity on the Internet.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 191510.php
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

When it comes to motorsports - just wanted to share my experiences.

I've been an avid outdoor motorsports enthusiast for over 25 years. I've explored 10's of thousands kilometers of backwoods roads, trails, etc in 4x4 trucks, ATV's, UTV, and Dirt bikes. Everything from slow moving family and kid friendly rides, to hardcore "1/2 the machines are broken and multiple people need medical attention" I've been a member of numerous clubs of like minded individuals, and have often rode in large groups. Every terrain, every condition, every time of year... you guys get the point. The only thing I haven't done a lot of is snowmobiling (tho have hundreds of hours of time on an ATV with snow tracks).

Anyway - I've spent a lot in my time in the bush surrounded by this type of activity. I've seen a lot and have a lot of scary or interesting stories, but one thing I've never seen is a machine start a fire. Nor can I recall an instance where I felt "that could have caused a fire" except for ONE TIME. That time being over 20 years ago with a 4x4 truck that burnt up it's transmission and started a minor engine fire. Same thing that happens driving on the pavement. It was noticed quickly and easily dealt with by dumping a bottle of water on it. I wish I could say the same for the rider's activities - I have seen campfires, fireworks, cigarettes, and firearms used in an unsafe way that easily could have (or did) start an uncontrolled fire. Way too often to count/remember.

The point being - the focus on the machines and the process of riding the machines I believe is misplaced and unwarranted. It's not the machines or the process of riding that starts fires. It's what stupid humans do while they're up in the bush performing those activities. It's what they do when they stop for lunch that's the problem. And like everything, a few bad apples spoil it for the bunch. Most are great and make wise decisions especially during a fire season like this. Self policing within a group (or policing by others) is common when fire risks are extreme. But there will always those few - Typically young "invincible" types that don't have the life experience to realize that campfires can get away from the best of us - not just dumb people.

Return to “Social Concerns”