Business blocking wheelchairs and scooters

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
ReadyToGo

Business blocking wheelchairs and scooters

Post by ReadyToGo »

Who do you contact when a store blocks the only path into their store?
Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
ReadyToGo

Re: Business blocking wheelchairs and scooters

Post by ReadyToGo »

Turns out it's not a law. I checked with bylaw and business development.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

Thank you
Will check it out 👍
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

ReadyToGo wrote: Jul 23rd, 2021, 3:18 pm Who do you contact when a store blocks the only path into their store?
total :cuss: on their part, hope it works out for you
good luck :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

ReadyToGo wrote: Jul 23rd, 2021, 3:18 pm Who do you contact when a store blocks the only path into their store?
Did you contact the store manager or owner? That is who you should deal with first before running to others.
You and 71 others Like this post
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

Ah no...
But of course I did. Talked to the managers multiple times over 4 years then their head office 3 times in past few months and it would get resolved only to see it happening again but it seems today a good loud talking to in the assistant manager's face since he was the unlucky duck for today, in front of his customers and a threat to him and head office of media coverage may have produced some results finally.
The manager himself called me this evening and promised a change for tomorrow and told me to call him tomorrow and come back to see his fix and he said he has something for me.
Didnt say what and I didnt ask but if it's worth only a buck I might be tempted to trip someone with it. 🤣
Anyway after I agreed his plan might work to use a second entrance that's not normally used i ordered that he put up a sign to point others with access needs in that direction and install a doorbell in case it's ever locked.
He did agree to that and said it will be done in a few days.
Will keep you all posted and if he does not follow through I will post the name of the store here... and he was made aware of that
So ya. My point of posting this thread was to look for ideas that I had not thought of yet. My mission is to make sure it doesnt happen anymore to anyone. Thank you all who helped with thoughts and helpful links to work with
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

ReadyToGo wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 12:05 am Ah no...
But of course I did. Talked to the managers multiple times over 4 years then their head office 3 times in past few months and it would get resolved only to see it happening again but it seems today a good loud talking to in the assistant manager's face since he was the unlucky duck for today, in front of his customers and a threat to him and head office of media coverage may have produced some results finally.
The manager himself called me this evening and promised a change for tomorrow and told me to call him tomorrow and come back to see his fix and he said he has something for me.
Didnt say what and I didnt ask but if it's worth only a buck I might be tempted to trip someone with it. 🤣
Anyway after I agreed his plan might work to use a second entrance that's not normally used i ordered that he put up a sign to point others with access needs in that direction and install a doorbell in case it's ever locked.
He did agree to that and said it will be done in a few days.
Will keep you all posted and if he does not follow through I will post the name of the store here... and he was made aware of that
So ya. My point of posting this thread was to look for ideas that I had not thought of yet. My mission is to make sure it doesnt happen anymore to anyone. Thank you all who helped with thoughts and helpful links to work with
Gee, that’s novel. Speaking to the actual business yesterday about it produced results today.
But asking about other unrelated parties was what you were actually seeking?

I’m really glad I could help with this. :135:
Which business is it? It shouldn’t matter if he does or does not follow through. More hands on deck is a better situation, no?

Btw, saying you "ordered" him to put up the sign is a subtle indication of why your past efforts may have failed.
You and 71 others Like this post
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Charter Statement - Bill C-81: An Act to ensure a barrier-free Canada
Tabled in the House of Commons, June 20, 2018

Explanatory Note
The Minister of Justice prepares a "Charter Statement" to help inform public and Parliamentary debate on a government bill. One of the Minister of Justice's most important responsibilities is to examine legislation for consistency with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms ("the Charter"). By tabling a Charter Statement, the Minister is sharing some of the key considerations that informed the review of a bill for consistency with the Charter. A Statement identifies Charter rights and freedoms that may potentially be engaged by a bill and provides a brief explanation of the nature of any engagement, in light of the measures being proposed.

A Charter Statement also identifies potential justifications for any limits a bill may impose on Charter rights and freedoms. Section 1 of the Charter provides that rights and freedoms may be subject to reasonable limits if those limits are prescribed by law and demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society. This means that Parliament may enact laws that limit Charter rights and freedoms. The Charter will be violated only where a limit is not demonstrably justifiable in a free and democratic society.

A Charter Statement is intended to provide legal information to the public and Parliament on a bill's potential effects on rights and freedoms that are neither trivial nor too speculative. It is not intended to be a comprehensive overview of all conceivable Charter considerations. Additional considerations relevant to the constitutionality of a bill may also arise in the course of Parliamentary study and amendment of a bill. A Statement is not a legal opinion on the constitutionality of a bill.

Charter Considerations
The Minister of Justice has examined Bill C-81, An Act to ensure a barrier-free Canada ("Accessible Canada Act"), for consistency with the Charter pursuant to her obligation under section 4.1 of the Department of Justice Act. This review involved consideration of the objectives and features of the Bill.

What follows is a non-exhaustive discussion of the ways in which Bill C-81 potentially engages the rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Charter. It is presented to assist in informing the public and Parliamentary debate on the Bill.

Overview
The purpose of the Accessible Canada Act is to benefit all persons, especially persons with disabilities, through the progressive realization of a barrier-free Canada. It would require the Government of Canada and the federally-regulated public and private sectors to identify and remove barriers, and to prevent new barriers, that hinder the full and equal participation in society of persons with disabilities. It would focus on barriers in the areas of employment, the built environment, information and communication technologies, the procurement of goods and services, the delivery of programs and services, transportation, and other designated areas.

The Accessible Canada Act would grant the Governor in Council, the Canadian Transportation Agency, and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission the authority to recommend or establish accessibility standards intended to reduce barriers and to improve accessibility ("accessibility standards"). The Act would also create the Canadian Accessibility Standards Development Organization to develop and recommend accessibility standards for use by any person or entity, including any government in Canada or elsewhere.

Compliance with regulated accessibility standards would be enforced by a new Accessibility Commissioner within the Canadian Human Rights Commission, by the Canadian Transportation Agency, by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, and by the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations and Employment Board, depending on the source of the accessibility standard and the area in which it applies. Compliance with regulated accessibility standards could be enforced through inspections, compliance audits, compliance orders, administrative monetary penalties, and individual complaint adjudications, depending on the nature and activity of the regulated entity.

Bill C-81 would create new proactive requirements for regulated entities in the federally-regulated public and private sectors. These requirements include the preparation and publication of accessibility plans, the receipt of public feedback on the accessibility plans, and the preparation and publication of progress reports in relation to the accessibility plans.

Considered as a whole, the Bill would promote the aims and values of section 15 of the Charter (equality). It also potentially engages section 8 (search and seizure) and section 11 (legal rights applying to those "charged with an offence").

Equality Rights (Section 15 of the Charter)
Section 15(1) of the Charter protects equality rights. It provides that every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination, including on the basis of mental or physical disability.

Bill C-81 would promote the aims and values of the Charter's equality rights. Equality entails the promotion of a society in which all are secure in the knowledge that they are recognized at law as equally deserving of concern, respect, and consideration. A central aim of equality in relation to persons with disabilities is to ensure reasonable accommodation by modifying the built environment, transportation systems, communication technologies, employment practices, and the provision of goods and services in order to remove and prevent arbitrary hindrances to their equal participation in society. Bill C-81 would implement a proactive and systemic approach to identifying, removing, and preventing barriers that might deprive persons with disabilities of an equal opportunity to make for themselves the lives that they are able and wish to have. The duties of regulated entities in Part 4 of the Accessible Canada Act would impose specific obligations to implement this approach. Other aspects of the proposed regime, including the development of accessibility standards and the availability of individual remedies, would supplement the duties of regulated entities.

Bill C-81 would also promote equality for persons with disabilities by ensuring representation in decision-making. Clauses 42(4), 44(3), 47(4), 49(3), 51(4), 53(3), 56(4), 58(3), 60(4), 62(3), 65(4), 67(3), 69(4), and 71(3) would ensure that the experiences and views of persons with disabilities are given consideration by requiring regulated entities to consult persons with disabilities in preparing, updating, and reporting progress on accessibility plans. Clause 23(2) would ensure that the experiences and views of persons with disabilities are given consideration by requiring, as far as possible, that the majority of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Accessibility Standards Development Organization are persons with disabilities. In addition, Clause 132(2) provides that persons with disabilities and organizations that represent the interests of persons with disabilities must be consulted as part as the independent review of the Accessible Canada Act required by Clause 132(1) of the Bill.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/p ... e/c81.html
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Human Rights in Services, Facilities, Accommodations
Everyone has the right to be free from discrimination based on protected characteristics when seeking access to or when using a public service, facility or accommodation. Examples of public services:

Hotels, stores, restaurants, schools, government programs, community recreation programs, and services provided by stratas
http://www.bchrt.bc.ca/human-rights-duties/services.htm
Bring back the LIKE button.
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

Hey Landm
Not sure what you want out of this for yourself but I'm talking 4 years of this going on and why my efforts failed is Because I would not demand but would request and offer suggestions. Until I finally went a whole new step and got a call back there was no communication besides my attempts to communicate but now I have a real response with a plan offered.
I am demanding the doorbell and sign at this point to make sure others will know which door to use and will gain access should that door get locked because it has always been locked for many years.
Anyway I hope this satisfies your needs and thank you for participating... people without needs as of today are far from exempt of being in need tomorrow or next week/year so never hold up a chance for this topic to run as needed... many will appreciate that some day and it could be you or a loved one you will have to speak up for.
And yes... the owner is aware of this post and is reading this as a softer lesson as compared to my next plan of using a camera crew to bash his company and name.
Have a stress free day landm.
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

alanjh595 wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 7:06 am Human Rights in Services, Facilities, Accommodations
Everyone has the right to be free from discrimination based on protected characteristics when seeking access to or when using a public service, facility or accommodation. Examples of public services:

Hotels, stores, restaurants, schools, government programs, community recreation programs, and services provided by stratas
http://www.bchrt.bc.ca/human-rights-duties/services.htm

LIKE 👍
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

And right after you "ordered" i would make the necessary changes and inform you your patronage was no longer wanted and you should take your business elsewhere
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

Boosted632 wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 10:52 am And right after you "ordered" i would make the necessary changes and inform you your patronage was no longer wanted and you should take your business elsewhere
And that didnt happen because it finally clicked in his head what he should do so ya. Nope.
A store like this does not want that kind of bad PR you'd be willing to take. My soft approaches did nothing but once he wanted to cut a deal to take the heat off of the situation as it stands now he has agreed to my terms while I agreed to his.
This is business dude. If you own a business and disability access is needed try not to hurt your business by doing what your head just told you to do. It will not go well.
This kind of matter counts just like all other types of discrimination we in Canada are supposed to avoid so that we can serve everyone the same.
Try reading the link shared a couple posts up. Very educational.
Have a happy day. 🙂
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

ReadyToGo wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 11:19 am
Boosted632 wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 10:52 am And right after you "ordered" i would make the necessary changes and inform you your patronage was no longer wanted and you should take your business elsewhere
And that didnt happen because it finally clicked in his head what he should do so ya. Nope.
A store like this does not want that kind of bad PR you'd be willing to take. My soft approaches did nothing but once he wanted to cut a deal to take the heat off of the situation as it stands now he has agreed to my terms while I agreed to his.
This is business dude. If you own a business and disability access is needed try not to hurt your business by doing what your head just told you to do. It will not go well.
This kind of matter counts just like all other types of discrimination we in Canada are supposed to avoid so that we can serve everyone the same.
Try reading the link shared a couple posts up. Very educational.
Have a happy day. 🙂
You're absolutely right its a business and part of running a business is having the right not to deal with ignorant :cuss: so ya i would send ya packing i have done it with my own business.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY

Return to “Social Concerns”