Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Post by fluffy »

Low Pay, No Benefits, Rude Customers: Restaurant Workers Quit At Record Rate

"And now "help wanted" signs are everywhere, with a staggering 1.2 million jobs unfilled in the industry, right when customers are crushing through the doors, ready to eat, drink and finally socialize."

>snip<

"Low wages are the most common reason people cite for leaving food service work. But in one recent survey, more than half of hospitality workers who've quit said no amount of pay would get them to return. That's because for many, leaving food service had a lot to do also with its high-stress culture: exhausting work, unreliable hours, no benefits and so many rude customers."

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/20/10160819 ... ecord-rate

It's looking like a "reckoning" is coming for the restaurant industry. I'm seeing this here in Penticton as well. Friends who work in the industry are speaking about 12 hour days and having to keep up such a pace that by the time a day off rolls around they are pretty much exhausted, to the point where they really don't accomplish much other than to try and rest up for the next shift.

The answer seems obvious, just raise the wages to attract more workers, but that isn't as simple as it seems either. The restaurant business is highly competitive, and a couple of bucks extra per plate runs the risk of driving customers away. The question in my mind is that do the wages in the restaurant industry properly reflect the work required ? Apparently millions are saying "No, they don't".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Record Labour Shortages in Restuarant Industry

Post by Bsuds »

fluffy wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 5:46 am The question in my mind is that do the wages in the restaurant industry properly reflect the work required ? Apparently millions are saying "No, they don't".
My son worked in the industry for over 15 years. His last job was as a head chef at a local golf course and was still not making enough to live on his own.

He is now working for a roofing company and even though he is making less money he is much happier. Steady hours and very little stress.

So yes the industry needs a shake up and this might be it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm of the mind that some of the "adjustment" needed has to come on the part of customers. Poor wages in the food service industry is not a new thing. People, as in customers, are going to have to put a little more recognition into the value of the work behind getting that meal in front of them, and be prepared to see that value reflected in the price they are paying. And learn some manners too. I get that this whole pandemic mess has been harder on some than others, but that's no excuse for poor behavior.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Unfortunately some people are a$$hats and that affects everyone.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

pay them a living wage and they will come.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

the truth wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 8:38 am pay them a living wage and they will come.
Seems simple enough doesn't it? In a free-market economy things like supply & demand still hold some sway. Personally, I would be more inclined to support a business that treats their employees with respect that those that don't, and respect means a realistic wage. Now if an employer wants to keep his payroll staffed with part-time minimum wage earners then he's going to have to get used to a high turnover, and the drop in product quality that goes with it, and he'll have to do without my business as well.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

agree 100% sooooooo many business only want to hire part time with no benefits , low wages expect them to be available 7 days a week am/pm shifts, you will get zero loyalty from that
pay them well treat them well give them benefits after 3 to 6 months you will get better people imo
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I think it would make more sense to remove tipping then raise prices and wages.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Restaurant work taught me to dislike the public and to tip exceptionally well when I dine out… which is rarely. I rarely dine out because I find the clientele here in Kelowna obnoxious.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

kgcayenne wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 12:54 pm Restaurant work taught me to dislike the public and to tip exceptionally well when I dine out… which is rarely. I rarely dine out because I find the clientele here in Kelowna obnoxious.
Vast majority of people in Kelowna are not born or raised here... I guess those obnoxious people are rejects from elsewhere. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

oldtrucker wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 3:23 pm Labour shortages everywhere....ad on the radio from a trucking company offering a $5000 sign on bonus. Maybe the food industry could do the same. Oh wait....lets increase immigration because Canadians wont do the job because it pays so little....it pays so little because of immigration :smt045
100% correct. now they will complain that they need tfw so they can pay even less
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Oh no! Its the "Great Reset!"

Sad that it took a pandemic to give people that extra nudge to do what so many have told them to do before. Regardless, kudos to them for finally taking a stand for themselves and taking a step to a brighter future :130:
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Ah, gone are the days when waiters and waitresses could pay their bills with their earnings, live comfortably, save for tomorrow, retire with a pension from their local restaurant where they worked for 40 years, and enjoy company-paid benefits and vacation...

The good old days.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Even Steven wrote: Jul 24th, 2021, 3:38 pm Ah, gone are the days when waiters and waitresses could pay their bills with their earnings, live comfortably, save for tomorrow, retire with a pension from their local restaurant where they worked for 40 years, and enjoy company-paid benefits and vacation...

The good old days.
Must have been before my time. Food industry in North America was always a struggle as far back as I can remember.
Last edited by OKkayak on Jul 24th, 2021, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I’ve noticed a Tim’s that’s been closed for last couple of months. So this shortage is hitting businesses
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Social Concerns”