Business blocking wheelchairs and scooters

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
ReadyToGo

Re: Business blocking wheelchairs and scooters

Post by ReadyToGo »

I ran 2 businesses Boosted and never once did a situation come to the point where a paying customer needed to ask twice to get to the point this situation is but since your response is what it is I'm thinking your business wasnt a success or was one with lesser success then it could have been. Just saying but you can do better if you have your ears on and some creativity
I have never run into this kind of problem with my businesses because I listened to my customers requests before it became a complaint of this level. Never did I see a threat of media use and demands to resolve an issue so this is where you and I differ.
You are welcome to PM me your business so I never set foot in it and we can both avoid a problem.
I do not go where disability is not welcome and cared for as all others are so do that and I promise to stay out.
Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

These days it would be pretty stupid to make it difficult or impossible for anyone to access your location.

I am glad to hear you got the issue resolved.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

Bsuds wrote: ↑Jul 24th, 2021, 3:04 pm These days it would be pretty stupid to make it difficult or impossible for anyone to access your location.

LIKE đź‘Ť
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Bsuds wrote: ↑Jul 24th, 2021, 3:04 pm These days it would be pretty stupid to make it difficult or impossible for anyone to access your location.

Its also pretty stupid to go in with an attitude and start "ordering"changes theres avenues for voicing your complaints if the business doesnt comply after you bring it to their attention. you dont have the right to yell at staff and order changes be made that would get you banned from my establishment.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

Boosted632 wrote: ↑Jul 26th, 2021, 7:47 am
Its also pretty stupid to go in with an attitude and start "ordering"changes theres avenues for voicing your complaints if the business doesnt comply after you bring it to their attention. you dont have the right to yell at staff and order changes be made that would get you banned from my establishment.

It's looking a lot like you might have not read the whole thread. They don't listen to their customers if it gets to the point it's at now.
There was no attitude for 4 years but many requests to resolve it with no real resolve so there comes a time when things get heated up to get a point across and finally the staff has told their manager to do something and he chose to call me to cut a deal that will work for him and disabilities. His plan works if he does the 2 things I said and we both came to a full agreement.
Sending disabled people to a different door needs a sign. Putting a doorbell there ensures if the staff forgets to unlock it a person with needs is not left out in the weather.
It's my hope that to avoid problems with you and your business you would have a push button door like most businesses do today. When that's not possible like in this case you use your imagination rather then pull off attitude yourself on those willing to spend money in your business..
So without knowing which business you own let's you and me hope I never end up there and you treat me or anyone like your reaction to this thread is going... I will advocate for myself and others just like this and if it needs to get ugly...I seriously have little else to do with my time and yet people who do my care and are my friends and family love me so my one side is awesome but my other side wants everyone to be treated by others as if they know they too could need help and access themselves in the next day or 10 years. Always remember carma when you turf someone out for asking or refuse to be of any help.
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

This is for you. Hopefully it helps your business from this point on

Human Rights in Services, Facilities, Accommodations

Everyone has the right to be free from discrimination based on protected characteristics when seeking access to or when using a public service, facility or accommodation. Examples of public services:

Hotels, stores, restaurants, schools, government programs, community recreation programs, and services provided by stratas

Services discrimination refers to poor treatment regarding a service, based on a personal characteristic.

If the poor treatment is justified, then there is no discrimination.

These are the personal characteristics protected in services:

RaceSexMarital StatusColourGender Identity or ExpressionFamily StatusAncestrySexual OrientationAgePlace of OriginPhysical Disability ReligionMental Disability 

Service-providers and others have a duty not to discriminate regarding services. This includes a duty to take all reasonable steps to avoid a negative effect based on a personal characteristic. This is called the duty to accommodate.
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

And so having said all that. I can open that side door with little struggle but it's a heavy door and I'm hoping all others can too but this is where that doorbell might also help some who cant do it without help. So being it's a side door not usually used my hope is that doorbell resolves the whole problem.
Anyway. .. Treat your customers well. Word of mouth in a city like this where most families have roots here is your worst enemy.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

ReadyToGo wrote: ↑Jul 24th, 2021, 9:17 am Hey Landm
Not sure what you want out of this for yourself but I'm talking 4 years of this going on and why my efforts failed is Because I would not demand but would request and offer suggestions. Until I finally went a whole new step and got a call back there was no communication besides my attempts to communicate but now I have a real response with a plan offered.
I am demanding the doorbell and sign at this point to make sure others will know which door to use and will gain access should that door get locked because it has always been locked for many years.
Anyway I hope this satisfies your needs and thank you for participating... people without needs as of today are far from exempt of being in need tomorrow or next week/year so never hold up a chance for this topic to run as needed... many will appreciate that some day and it could be you or a loved one you will have to speak up for.
And yes... the owner is aware of this post and is reading this as a softer lesson as compared to my next plan of using a camera crew to bash his company and name.
Have a stress free day landm.
I’m unsure of why you have turned this personal. How could I "want something out of this for myself". It’s merely an anonymous discussion thread in which you sought an answer and I, along with others gave a response.

Your original post was literally
Who do you contact when a store blocks the only path into their store?
I responded that you should speak to the owner or manager. The next day you said you now did and it is being resolved.

Now, the story is that it has gone on for four years?

That’s a pretty big coincidence, but I am glad it has worked out. Every business should be providing access to the disabled.

And my days are always stress free. :up:
You and 71 others Like this post
ReadyToGo

Post by ReadyToGo »

I did not post that it had gone on that long at first because I was going to keep it short instead to hopefully get a few simple ideas that I might just try and I also did not post the business name because I was still hoping that he would finally fix it without PR damage to his business just because I'm not the revenge type unless it needs to happen.
You can assume a person has gone to management probably several times when they come to the public for ideas or so I thought because that's the usual route and I had also gone to head office many times.
Anyway, quite a few ideas have come out from members here and it's all good.
No one hurt, no one left outside. It's being done.
Thank you.

Return to “Social Concerns”