You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

at88mph

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by at88mph »

OKkayak wrote:Was that the one on the corner of 43rd Ave and 27th Street? Where the old Lutheran church was?

That was the video store that was put into what became the Fruit Union Plaza. Earl's was in there, with Subway and an A&W at the far end. When I was a kid that was the actual Fruit Union packing house that got bulldozed. Roger's Video inevitably took the store over when they were buying up video stores.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

at88mph wrote:That was the video store that was put into what became the Fruit Union Plaza. Earl's was in there, with Subway and an A&W at the far end. When I was a kid that was the actual Fruit Union packing house that got bulldozed. Roger's Video inevitably took the store over when they were buying up video stores.

OK thanks. I just remember that one always being Rogers for some reason. Mostly, we went to Vernon Video down on 25th Ave and when it was originally located on the corner of 30th St and 31st Ave, rented so many Atari games from there [icon_lol2.gif]

Another place we rented from a lot was the old Radio Shack, just around the corner from KFC on 32nd Ave $50 for a couple days rental of a VCR and 2 movies, that would be like $132 today [icon_lol2.gif]
Promethian

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember....

Post by Promethian »

CR250R40 wrote:Vernon's "Capitol Theatre" in 1938 showing The Citadel.

Entrance.

Lobby.

Do you have the non watermarked copies of these photos by chance?
BTDT
Fledgling

Post by BTDT »

[quote="zookeeper"]Picture of Capitol Theater from 1938 on Castanet. Before helicopter parenting us kids could take the city bus downtown for the Saturday matinee, grab some candy from Nick's candy kitchen after and take the bus home.[/quote]

The Saturday morning "Winkie" show at the Capitol Theater. You brought a Winkie Bread wrapper and you got in for free!
BTDT
Fledgling

Post by BTDT »

Alberts Nursery on 25th Ave, run by Albert and Arnold Jansen. They used to sell bunches of gladiolas from their pickup truck parked on Bernard Ave near the Harris Flower Shop.
I also remember the field they had near OK Landing Rd and OK Ave where they grew the glads!. Very colourful.
edwalker

Post by edwalker »

Does anyone have a picture of the diversion dam that was on the BX Creek? The dam forced water into the settling pond that fed water up to McMechan Reservoir ? Location is in the Dog park off BX Road. If so please call or text me at 778 930 0186, Thanks
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

[quote="OKkayak"]

Always thought the school was way cooler when the windows on the dome were covered up, made the stories of Mr. Beairsto's body still hanging up there more believable.

What are the stories of Mr. Beairsto's hanging body up in the dome? I grew up in Vernon, went to that school, and never heard about this! He apparently hung himself up there?
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

superbee wrote:What are the stories of Mr. Beairsto's hanging body up in the dome? I grew up in Vernon, went to that school, and never heard about this! He apparently hung himself up there?
The rumour was just that, he hung himself up there and the body was still there, which is why the windows were boarded up and no one was ever allowed up there. Went there in the 80s and every year at the beginning of the school year, either Mr. Hunter or Mr. Bavington (spelling?) would make a note to mention that the "rumours" were not true in the welcome announcement. I can't remember the janitors name, but he milked that rumour for all its worth. Ah, memories [icon_lol2.gif]

God I miss the dollar lunches in the cafeteria, what I wouldn't give for one of the mini submarine sandwiches and bowl of canned french onion soup right now. I don't know what it was that they put on the sandwich, but it made it quite sweet, I can literally still taste it :biggrin:

I can't remember the lunch ladies name, but she was awesome. IIRC, she ended up working at the Taco Time in the mall.
Rodbar

Post by Rodbar »

Frank Martina on CJIB. Friend of my folks in the ‘70s! Also, the hotel fire of the ‘70s, and the massive forest fire that could be seen from our front yard threatening Vernon in the ‘70s. Or, Skylab being followed on local radio reentering the earth’s atmosphere in the ‘70s. Or the total solar eclipse I watched as a kid in Vernon from the ‘70s. Mic drop. I’ll show myself out thanks.
Rodbar

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember....

Post by Rodbar »

Queen K wrote: Apr 1st, 2009, 12:21 pm When the Village Green Mall was really BIG!
My bro got his first job there. Making 3.25 an hour I think.
Rodbar

Post by Rodbar »

Suicide Hill.
Magnetic Hill.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

- The smell of freshly coated gravel roads to keep the dust down in the summer, aka OK Ave.
- Making our own BMX tracks at the massive empty lot between 25th and 27th Aves, east of 41st St.
- Sledding down the "Chute" just off of OK Ave by 16th Ave.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

N.O.C.A.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Noisy Boater wrote: Jul 27th, 2021, 8:46 pm N.O.C.A.
We shipped our milk to them for many years, when dairyland took over we then shipped to “D” Dutchman dairy until we sold the farm.

Here is an oldie
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=okanagan+tele ... &ia=images
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

GordonH wrote: Jul 27th, 2021, 8:51 pm
Noisy Boater wrote: Jul 27th, 2021, 8:46 pm N.O.C.A.
We shipped our milk to them for many years, when dairyland took over we then shipped to “D” Dutchman dairy until we sold the farm.
What was your IRMA # ?? Just kiddin. Bet ya never saw that one comin eh ??
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.

Return to “North Okanagan”