Posties Not Delivering Mail

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Posties Not Delivering Mail

Post by Bsuds »

dirtybiker wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 7:33 am Please remember though. that person you are being served by at the outlet had zero
to do with your package not being delivered to your door.
Don't vent your frustrations toward them.

Nasty, nasty things are said and done by members of the public in those places.

Yup not their fault. It does get frustrating to find a failed delivery notice in your mailbox when you were home all day and no one even tried to deliver.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

spooker wrote: Jul 29th, 2021, 7:13 pm So you're being forced to work outside when the air quality is fluctuating between "very unhealthy" and "hazardous"?
Right! And how about construction workers, cops, farmers, truck drivers, firefighters, ... ? Do they all get to quit with pay?
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Even Steven wrote: Jul 29th, 2021, 2:49 pm Honestly, they can switch to delivering mail twice a week instead of 5, and nobody would notice.
You are correct. 90% of their mailbox deliveries are flyers. That's what kids used to do for pocket money, back in the old days. Nowadays, these unionized prima-donnas do the same thing for $30/hr. And it's not that advertisers are paying them that much. It's the taxpayer.
Last edited by BC Landlord on Jul 30th, 2021, 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

At my place in Vernon, the postie had to walk sideways to get around the front of one of my tenant's cars. The postie claimed she could not deliver mail as it was a safety hazard. I and my tenants walked by the car several times a day for ages with no issues.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Every worker in BC has the right to refuse unsafe work. Some employers would rather *gasp* keep their workers safe, than send them into an unsafe situation.

If your work is unsafe (and you know the difference between risky and unsafe), you should be refusing to work. It is your right.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 7:45 am Right! And how about construction workers, cops, farmers, truck drivers, firefighters, ... ? Do they all get to quit with pay?
If they've negotiated a contract that dictates they still get paid during safety-related work stoppages, then yes, they do.

If not, maybe they need better representation.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

JayByrd wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 10:12 am Every worker in BC has the right to refuse unsafe work. Some employers would rather *gasp* keep their workers safe, than send them into an unsafe situation.

If your work is unsafe (and you know the difference between risky and unsafe), you should be refusing to work. It is your right.
First possible moment that employer can terminate the employee without having labour relations involved, it will happen.

Sure ask not to work out in the smoke... don’t be surprised of what could be in your future with that employer.

Unless you work for Canada Post.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

JayByrd wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 10:12 am Every worker in BC has the right to refuse unsafe work.
The problem is in who defines "unsafe". Canada Post is certainly not in a position to make such claims.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 10:18 am

First possible moment that employer can terminate the employee without having labour relations involved, it will happen.

Sure ask not to work out in the smoke... don’t be surprised of what could be in your future with that employer.

Well, when a situation changes, such as a drastic change in air quality, the employer needs to assess that risk, and mitigate it if possible. This is a Worksafe BC requirement for any employer, it's not optional.

In the case of Canada Post, carriers, by the nature of their work will be exposed to smoke for extended periods. If the Employer can't find a reasonable way to mitigate that risk, the only option may be to stop that work entirely. This isn't a question of what they "should" do, this is outlined in Worksafe BC policy. Employers who play fast and loose with that are heavily liable.

If an employer is asking a worker to work in an unsafe situation (again, know the difference between risky and unsafe), that worker of course has the right to refuse to work. They also have the option of reporting the situation anonymously to Worksafe BC, who will then send someone to assess. If an Employer is found to not be in compliance, they may receive a warning, or a fine if the situation is serious enough.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 10:42 am
The problem is in who defines "unsafe". Canada Post is certainly not in a position to make such claims.
Actually, they are. There are a number of tools provided by Worksafe BC, for employers to identify, assess, and mitigate risks. If you've been an employer yourself, I'm sure you're familiar with them.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 10:18 am First possible moment that employer can terminate the employee without having labour relations involved, it will happen.

JayByrd wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 10:43 am Well, when a situation changes, such as a drastic change in air quality, the employer needs to assess that risk, and mitigate it if possible. This is a Worksafe BC requirement for any employer, it's not optional.

In the case of Canada Post, carriers, by the nature of their work will be exposed to smoke for extended periods. If the Employer can't find a reasonable way to mitigate that risk, the only option may be to stop that work entirely. This isn't a question of what they "should" do, this is outlined in Worksafe BC policy. Employers who play fast and loose with that are heavily liable.

If an employer is asking a worker to work in an unsafe situation (again, know the difference between risky and unsafe), that worker of course has the right to refuse to work. They also have the option of reporting the situation anonymously to Worksafe BC, who will then send someone to assess. If an Employer is found to not be in compliance, they may receive a warning, or a fine if the situation is serious enough.
Employees can anonymously report.... if one does, keep it to themselves. Unfortunately to many times they foolishly say something to a co-worker.
In the workplace this tends to spread like wildfire.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

JayByrd wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 10:44 am Actually, they are. There are a number of tools provided by Worksafe BC, for employers to identify, assess, and mitigate risks. If you've been an employer yourself, I'm sure you're familiar with them.
They are a Crown corporation, so I would expect them to follow government issued orders. There has been no such thing issued, allowing these layabouts to stop working. Btw, mail delivery is an essential service.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

btw over the years I’ve noticed mail delivery people don’t walk there complete area, they drive to each street and stop several times on that street.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 11:02 am btw over the years I’ve noticed mail delivery people don’t walk there complete area, they drive to each street and stop several times on that street.
Nowadays, they just drive around in A/C-ed vehicles, hopping community mailboxes. Don't take me wrong, most of posties are honest people, it's just their union bosses who make them look bad.
Last edited by BC Landlord on Jul 30th, 2021, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 10:56 am
They are a Crown corporation, so I would expect them to follow government issued orders. There has been no such thing issued, allowing these layabouts to stop working. Btw, mail delivery is an essential service.
Is this really about Canada Post, or are you just irked that someone gets a day off when you don't?

The lack of a Government order to stop work doesn't mean there is no situation that can bring about a work stoppage.

Return to “Social Concerns”