Posties Not Delivering Mail

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Posties Not Delivering Mail

Post by JayByrd »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 11:15 am
Nowadays, they just drive around in A/C-ed vehicles, hopping community mailboxes.
It sounds like it would be faster than walking. Also, a vehicle can carry more weight than a person can.

There seems to be a lot of sentiment in this thread that would prefer a return to Victorian-era labour practices.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

JayByrd wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 11:20 am Is this really about Canada Post, or are you just irked that someone gets a day off when you don't?
No, ... it's about my mail not being delivered, period. If there was an emergency situation, and it should be officially declared, then they would have my understanding. If they want to take a day off, I am pretty sure they have plenty of vacation days available.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 11:26 am
No, ... it's about my mail not being delivered, period. If there was an emergency condition, and it should be officially declared, then they would have my understanding. If they want to take a day off, I am pretty sure they have plenty of vacation days available.
And just so we're clear, is the employer holding their workers back, or are the workers refusing? Or is it somehow both?

And they have declared that due to air quality, their carriers will not be going out. If you want a federal government ruling about work conditions in the Central Okanagan, I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. They may just have to carry on without BC Landlord's approval.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Carry on....see what I did there? :130:
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

JayByrd wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 11:21 am There seems to be a lot of sentiment in this thread that would prefer a return to Victorian-era labour practices.
No, ... it's about receiving services what we pay for. Nothing "Victorian" about it. Just common sense.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 11:35 amNo, ... it's about receiving services what we pay for. Nothing "Victorian" about it. Just common sense.
There's some common sense in not sending someone out to walk ten or fifteen kilometers when the air quality is compromised.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

fluffy wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 12:57 pm
There's some common sense in not sending someone out to walk ten or fifteen kilometers when the air quality is compromised.
Exactly! What would the cost be to us if we had multiple Posties sick with breathing/lung issues because they were forced to work.

On the other hand are there masks that could be provided to filter the air adequately while they do their jobs?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

fluffy wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 12:57 pm There's some common sense in not sending someone out to walk ten or fifteen kilometers when the air quality is compromised.
Bsuds wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 1:10 pm Exactly! What would the cost be to us if we had multiple Posties sick with breathing/lung issues because they were forced to work.

On the other hand are there masks that could be provided to filter the air adequately while they do their jobs?
Since they are already wearing a mask due to covid, just move up to a n95 mask.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

fluffy wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 12:57 pm There's some common sense in not sending someone out to walk ten or fifteen kilometers when the air quality is compromised.
I believe, you are idealizing them. They don't walk 15 km any more. That was years ago. Nowadays, they deliver mail in A/C-ed vehicles, probably newer (better air filtration) than most people drive. They have absolutely no excuse not to do their job in these conditions, as most of us don't.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 1:43 pm
I believe, you are idealizing them. They don't walk 15 km any more. That was years ago. Nowadays, they deliver mail in A/C-ed vehicles, probably newer (better air filtration) than most people drive. They have absolutely no excuse not to do their job in these conditions, as most of us don't.
Our neighbourhood still gets door to door delivery, on foot. I'm not at all surprised that's cancelled on days like this, but I am surprised people with community mailboxes aren't being provided with service.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: Jul 29th, 2021, 7:23 pm I went paperless years ago, the mail item I get is icbc it usually comes in December. Hopefully this will also become paperless soon.
Likewise here. However, I've still been using Canada Post services sporadically. Now, this has sealed it. From now on, it's curriers, such as UPS or FedEx. Adapt, or die. I couldn't care less if they choose the later.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

rustled wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 1:47 pm Our neighbourhood still gets door to door delivery, on foot. I'm not at all surprised that's cancelled on days like this, but I am surprised people with community mailboxes aren't being provided with service.
We have been getting our mail non stop this week. Mailbox is at the end of the street.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 3:33 pm
rustled wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 1:47 pm Our neighbourhood still gets door to door delivery, on foot. I'm not at all surprised that's cancelled on days like this, but I am surprised people with community mailboxes aren't being provided with service.
We have been getting our mail non stop this week. Mailbox is at the end of the street.
Sounds like it's just door-to-door that's canceled because of the air quality, then?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 1:47 pmOur neighbourhood still gets door to door delivery, on foot. I'm not at all surprised that's cancelled on days like this, but I am surprised people with community mailboxes aren't being provided with service.
We have a walking letter carrier in our neighbourhood as well. I googled around a bit and found that it is not unusual for a letter carrier who works on foot to put on ten miles in a day. At work servicing rooms in camp we would regularly clock ten kilometers or better in a shift. The stop work thing started after Tuesday which was a very nasty day, and today is close to that level. It's pretty hard for me to come up with an argument as to why they should be working on a day like today. But you have a good point on the gang boxes, physical exertion is low as they are all vehicle serviced.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Even Steven wrote: Jul 29th, 2021, 2:49 pm Honestly, they can switch to delivering mail twice a week instead of 5, and nobody would notice.
I only pick up my mail once a week, Saturday mornings. 90% just goes straight to the recycle bin before I leave the vestibule.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Social Concerns”