RE: Crime down 8% in Canada

tantor
Board Meister

RE: Crime down 8% in Canada

Post by tantor »

What a load of BS! They are doing the same thing here as they are in the states. They are not charging and convicting for many crimes now and instead letting perps walk and they now equate this with a drop in crime! This is why chronic repeat offenders are still walking the streets.They must honestly think we are stupid but I suppose some will buy it as they do everything that comes from our mainstream media.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/34 ... mic#341305
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: RE: Crime down 8% in Canada

Post by the truth »

tantor wrote: Jul 28th, 2021, 10:46 am What a load of BS! They are doing the same thing here as they are in the states. They are not charging and convicting for many crimes now and instead letting perps walk and they now equate this with a drop in crime! This is why chronic repeat offenders are still walking the streets.They must honestly think we are stupid but I suppose some will buy it as they do everything that comes from our mainstream media.

100% correct, https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#308411
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

tantor wrote: Jul 28th, 2021, 10:46 am What a load of BS! They are doing the same thing here as they are in the states. They are not charging and convicting for many crimes now and instead letting perps walk and they now equate this with a drop in crime! This is why chronic repeat offenders are still walking the streets.They must honestly think we are stupid but I suppose some will buy it as they do everything that comes from our mainstream media.

Do you have any examples of them not charging and convicting perps where they had plenty of evidence? I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't have a single example yet you make a blanket statement that is untrue because of your beliefs. I'm dying to here your responses.
And I really wish people would learn to put blame in the appropriate place. Many uneducated in the ways of how the law works blame judges and police for letting perps walk when you're forgetting the main thing to make conviction is evidence. If you don't like the rule of law do something about it instead of complaining that nothing's being done.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

common_sense_guy wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 7:50 am

Do you have any examples of them not charging and convicting perps where they had plenty of evidence? I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't have a single example yet you make a blanket statement that is untrue because of your beliefs. I'm dying to here your responses.
And I really wish people would learn to put blame in the appropriate place. Many uneducated in the ways of how the law works blame judges and police for letting perps walk when you're forgetting the main thing to make conviction is evidence. If you don't like the rule of law do something about it instead of complaining that nothing's being done.
I don't blame the RCMP at all, I work with them all the time and their hands are tied by the fact that the courts have become defunct. I don't have an example? You are here on Casatnet and you can't think of a plethora of examples on your own lol? How about almost every other story we read about someone who has been arrested and has a record a mile long? Tells us where we get this record of perps who are charged and then let go by the judge with a conditional discharge

. I have tried to charge individuals with theft and was told by the officer that it would be a waste of time as the court would just turn him out. Even when a guy tried to crawl into a room where a mother and daughter were sleeping and I led police right to him I saw him 3 hours later walking down the side of the highway! Pretty sure that is not what the arresting officer wanted to see happen. Evidence you say? How about the mother and daughter that plainly seen him, the neighboring guest that seen him and the camera footage that was captured! You can stick your head in the sand and pretend this does not happen or you are clearly ignorant of the fact that this does in fact happen.

I was supposed to go to court against a guy who had threaten to stab me and a month before court I got a letter that I did not need to attend as he pleaded to a lesser charge. Once again this guy had a record a mile long! It's not the judge or the law system though right lol? The bulk of people arrested these days are by and large repeat offenders and the word repeat in this sentence tells me all I need to know since I am not the one enacting the law!

Take a look at California where the courts will not charge if you steal 999.99 dollars and under worth of merchandise. They too report a drop in crime lol. Ya when you no longer prosecute for a large percentage of crime that lowers the crime stats, it does not mean however that that the crime is gone.
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 31st, 2021, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Paragraph inserts to break up wall of words
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

These numbers are appalling

New data released this week by Statistics Canada shows Kelowna's police-reported crime rate followed the national average by dropping 10 per cent compared to 2019, to 9,665 incidents per 100,000 people. But despite this drop, the Kelowna census metropolitan area still hold the second highest police-reported crime rate in Canada, next to only Lethbridge with 10,697 incidents per 100,000 people. 9.66 % chance of being a victim of a crime !

Perhaps more concerning is the rising violent crime rate in the Kelowna area. Remaining the third highest in the country, Kelowna's violent crime rate jumped 12 per cent from 2019, to 1,721 violent incidents per 100,000 people. This puts Kelowna behind only Lethbridge and Moncton. 1.7 % chance of being a victim of violent crime !

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... 020#341624

Edited to 9.66 % so posters stop beating up spooker for my typo
Last edited by mikest2 on Jul 31st, 2021, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
spooker

Post by spooker »

mikest2 wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 7:43 am New data released this week by Statistics Canada shows Kelowna's police-reported crime rate followed the national average by dropping 10 per cent compared to 2019, to 9,665 incidents per 100,000 people. But despite this drop, the Kelowna census metropolitan area still hold the second highest police-reported crime rate in Canada, next to only Lethbridge with 10,697 incidents per 100,000 people. 10.6 % chance of being a victim of a crime !

Perhaps more concerning is the rising violent crime rate in the Kelowna area. Remaining the third highest in the country, Kelowna's violent crime rate jumped 12 per cent from 2019, to 1,721 violent incidents per 100,000 people. This puts Kelowna behind only Lethbridge and Moncton. 1.7 % chance of being a victim of violent crime !
I agree that things are not good, but I had to add the missing 'N' and the correct percentage for Kelowna is 9.7%, your original value represented Lethbridge ...
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Crime is classified as incidents reported to the police. It has nothing to to do with charges and convictions.

The United States puts 6 times as many people in prison per capita as Canada, and you're also 6 times as likely to get shot dead down there.

There's always going to be crime. Be happy you live in one of the safest countries on earth with one of the least corrupt judicial systems.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

spooker wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 9:12 am and the correct percentage for Kelowna is 9.7%, your original value represented Lethbridge ...
There is nothing wrong with his 1.7%. It is Violent Crime not crime.
In his first paragraph he correctly referenced Kelowna and THEN referenced the highest in the country, Lethbridge.
Did you even read the link he had put in the his post? I would guess....no.
Here is the quote
In 2020, the CMAs with the highest VCSIs were Winnipeg (154.8), Thunder Bay (152.5), Regina (127.0) and Saskatoon (119.9). From 2005 to 2020, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg and Regina consistently reported among the highest VCSI values of all CMAs, with Thunder Bay and Winnipeg reporting among the three highest values every year for the past ten years. Thunder Bay also reported the fourth highest violent crime rate (1,659 violent incidents per 100,000 population) in 2020, behind Lethbridge (1,890), Moncton (1,780) and Kelowna (1,721) (Table 13; Chart 16). The lowest VCSIs were reported in Barrie (50.0), Ottawa (55.7), St. Catharines-Niagara (56.6) and Québec (56.8).
1721 out of 100,000 is 1.721%.
Simple math.
As a reference I have approximately 50 people on my block. That means, on average, almost 1 person on my block per year will be a victim of a violent crime. So unacceptable.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup, that's pretty bad................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

crookedmember wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 10:34 am

Crime is classified as incidents reported to the police. It has nothing to to do with charges and convictions.

The United States puts 6 times as many people in prison per capita as Canada, and you're also 6 times as likely to get shot dead down there.

There's always going to be crime. Be happy you live in one of the safest countries on earth with one of the least corrupt judicial systems.
You are ignoring the elephant in the room with your US Canada comparison. The US has 10 times the population! It also has everything to do with charges and convictions! If charges are not laid and no one is convicted then where is crime going to go other than up? Because of the apathy in the court system a large percentage of crime now goes unreported which makes the accuracy of their numbers even worse! No one is saying that there won't always be crime, that's a no brain er. I am just calling BS on their stats!
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

tantor wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 11:24 am
crookedmember wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 10:34 am

You are ignoring the elephant in the room with your US Canada comparison. The US has 10 times the population! It also has everything to do with charges and convictions! If charges are not laid and no one is convicted then where is crime going to go other than up? Because of the apathy in the court system a large percentage of crime now goes unreported which makes the accuracy of their numbers even worse! No one is saying that there won't always be crime, that's a no brain er. I am just calling BS on their stats!
Please look-up "per capita" in the dictionary.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

It's a good thing we don't live in Victoria, or Prince George or Hope or Tofino.
Tofino! :200:
Prince George I can understand, but Tofino?

https://globalnews.ca/news/8075501/vict ... ity-index/
‘An incredibly high figure’: Victoria police say new crime stats show resources stretched
The crime severity index (CSI), which measures the volume and severity of police-reported crime, showed Victoria well ahead of any city policed by a municipal department, including Vancouver.

Victoria scored a 168, compared to Vancouver’s 105 and the B.C. average of 96.

They may be robbing you less, but they are hitting you over the head a lot harder. That's Crime Severity.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
spooker

Post by spooker »

JagXKR wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 10:52 am
spooker wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 9:12 am and the correct percentage for Kelowna is 9.7%, your original value represented Lethbridge ...
There is nothing wrong with his 1.7%. It is Violent Crime not crime.
In his first paragraph he correctly referenced Kelowna and THEN referenced the highest in the country, Lethbridge.
Did you even read the link he had put in the his post? I would guess....no.
Here is the quote
In 2020, the CMAs with the highest VCSIs were Winnipeg (154.8), Thunder Bay (152.5), Regina (127.0) and Saskatoon (119.9). From 2005 to 2020, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg and Regina consistently reported among the highest VCSI values of all CMAs, with Thunder Bay and Winnipeg reporting among the three highest values every year for the past ten years. Thunder Bay also reported the fourth highest violent crime rate (1,659 violent incidents per 100,000 population) in 2020, behind Lethbridge (1,890), Moncton (1,780) and Kelowna (1,721) (Table 13; Chart 16). The lowest VCSIs were reported in Barrie (50.0), Ottawa (55.7), St. Catharines-Niagara (56.6) and Québec (56.8).
1721 out of 100,000 is 1.721%.
Simple math.
As a reference I have approximately 50 people on my block. That means, on average, almost 1 person on my block per year will be a victim of a violent crime. So unacceptable.
I was not referencing the "1.7%" value in the second paragraph but his "10.6%" value in the first paragraph ... thanks for the math lesson ... and yes, I did round my value to the nearest 0.1%

And yes, I did read the article ... I said that I agreed with him in that it was appalling ... how are we going to change it?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

common_sense_guy wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 7:50 am

Even the local Police are saying they have basically over looked the little user outgrowing. When the Crown tells the leaders they won't prosecute in the best interest of the public, they stand down.

Obviously our PM has put the words out there to give it up unless it is the big guy and Fentanyl or other opiates.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Ken7 wrote: Aug 1st, 2021, 9:27 am

Even the local Police are saying they have basically over looked the little user outgrowing. When the Crown tells the leaders they won't prosecute in the best interest of the public, they stand down.

Obviously our PM has put the words out there to give it up unless it is the big guy and Fentanyl or other opiates.
That's ridiculous. Trudeau is much too busy sending us digital influencers talking points and cheques to be messing with small town cops, too.

Return to “Canada”