Anyone ever live in Grand Forks, BC?

Business and professional recommendations.
CoolKitteh

Anyone ever live in Grand Forks, BC?

Post by CoolKitteh »

Hi,

Just wondering, we may have an opportunity to move there. Likes/dislikes TIA
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Anyone ever live in Grand Forks, BC?

Post by alanjh595 »

I too would like to know, as I am also considering that area to move to.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I haven't lived there but visited many times for business.

Nice very small town.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Pretty good place if your goal is to die of boredom.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

CoolKitteh wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 5:29 pm Hi,

Just wondering, we may have an opportunity to move there. Likes/dislikes TIA
Are you buying a place or renting? Do not assume because it's small that rentals are plentiful. I see the Boundary area fb site for renters often and it's very difficult to get suitable accomodation.

GF has ups and downs, a nice small town, helps if you speak Russian but not necessary. It's a microcosm of problems that Kelowna has.

You'll only be bored if the outdoors and gardening and photography and going across the line (when it opens) and travelling are not for you.

Good luck!
Last edited by Queen K on Aug 4th, 2021, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] :spitcoffee: :spitcoffee:
Even Steven wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm Pretty good place if your goal is to die of boredom.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Even Steven wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm Pretty good place if your goal is to die of boredom.
This is half true,
If you like city life you will hate the place.
If you like a quiet rural setting you may love the place.

The Russian community is small and I have never met any who didn't speak English.
JerseyLand Dairy products come from there, so if you like their Organic products you may be in heaven.

However if you don't like Rednecks you may want to investigate the community you are moving too.
Most I have met live across the bridge towards the mill.
They aren't bad people, but there are some days where they will fire up their race car at 4am to load it or may have late night parties.

As for the medical services.
There is a small hospital, which I consider as more of a medical clinic.
For anything major they send the ambulance to Trail instead, which has a beautiful hospital.

2 close by lakes if you like fishing. One of them has a nice dock so you don't really need a boat although it helps.

That's about it.
Personally I would recommend camping there for a couple weeks or longer to check it out.
It's the sort of town you may love in the beginning and hate a few months later.
But then again, it's also the type of town you may never want to leave.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

My dad was born and raised there in a Doukabour Village under Hardy Mountain. We visited relatives all the time, weekends were spent on the small farm, Carson Road.

I tongue in cheek said "it helps if you speak Russian" because we regret to this day never really learning it, where in Kelowna did I have a chance and if you don't use it you lose it.

To me GF is three hours closer to where I'd like to explore more, deeper in the Kootaneys and the Crow's Nest Pass area. For ocean loving people, it's three hours further away.

It's a great place to be if employment and money is no issue and where isn't?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I have known it relatively well for many decades from visiting folks there. Nice little town and the residents like it. As mentioned, if you are seeking city life, it will be less for you. If you are realistic, and like the look and feel of it, it will be fine.
Add "off" to the end of your name and you will fit in instantly. :biggrin:
You and 71 others Like this post
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

you all making it sound like Green Acres
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

be very careful where you buy or live there. Check the flood records. So much of it was under water in the last flood.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

If you like being isolated away from society, it's rural and far away from everything.

Just like people living in the Kootenays, you'll find yourself driving to Kelowna all the time to get medical things done, deal with Government services and buy items beyond what the Dollar Store has to offer.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

My husbands family grew up there. I have visited a lot over the last 10 years, until his parents recently moved.

The town is very nice, and seems like a great place. My husband and his siblings all rave about growing up there, so I imagine would be a good place to raise kids in a smaller town feel.

As other people have said, it is a small town and feels like it. One of the reason my parent-in-laws moved was due to that. When they retired, they wanted to move somewhere where there was more going on, easier access to general resources (like shopping, groceries, entertainment, travel etc).

A close family member was in the hospital care facility for the last few years as well. Honestly, I was really impressed with the care and the facilities especially when compared to the ones I have seen here in Kelowna. One of he benefits of a small town I guess.

All in all, I guess it depends on what you are looking for in your living experience.
hail Satan y'all
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Someone already mentioned the problem with flooding.Be careful.
Also, once cheap house prices are climbing.Many homes are ramshackle, to coin a word.
Personally, I think Nelson is great, but like Grand Forks, isolated and NOW EXPENSIVE!
But hey, G.F. is rural.You can sit on your porch and enjoy a doobie.The mayor, think it is still Brian Taylor, formerly from Kelowna, and past candidate for Marihuana Party might drop by and say hi! :up:
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 7:43 am So much of it was under water in the last flood.
In the time of Noah? Or do you mean a few years ago?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “Referrals”