Liberal Party buying private email addresses?

crookedmember
Banned

Re: Liberal Party buying private email addresses?

Post by crookedmember »

Merry wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 12:05 pm
I suspect you’re right about it being on some sort of email list that was up for sale on the Dark Web. But the point is SHOULD political parties be buying such lists from such questionable sources?

I would have thought that Governments, and folks hoping to form Government, would be doing what they can to prevent folks from acquiring and selling peoples private information. Not encouraging such behaviour by supplying them with business!
You don't have to go to the dark web to buy email lists. Even charities sell their lists.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Merry wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 12:11 pm
If they get your email address legitimately, the Law DOES allow Political Partys to send unsolicited emails (which it shouldn’t IMO). But does the Law allow them to obtain yor email address from Government mailing lists? (I doubt it). Or from mailing lists being sold on the dark web?

If it does, it shouldn’t!
Merry - the Liberals are pure scum, so this does not surprise me in the least. I am very curious to hear if they respond to your email asking them how they obtained your private information. One things for sure - the Liberals are definitely getting more and more desperate with each passing day.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

crookedmember wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 12:12 pm
Merry wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 12:05 pm
I suspect you’re right about it being on some sort of email list that was up for sale on the Dark Web. But the point is SHOULD political parties be buying such lists from such questionable sources?

I would have thought that Governments, and folks hoping to form Government, would be doing what they can to prevent folks from acquiring and selling peoples private information. Not encouraging such behaviour by supplying them with business!
You don't have to go to the dark web to buy email lists. Even charities sell their lists.
Well they ought to make the practice illegal.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

crookedmember wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 11:23 am
Bsuds wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 11:16 am

You can use a number blocker on your phone. Any unsolicited calls I get are immediately blocked, especially political ones.
Yes you can! Unfortunately, "Patricia" uses a lot of numbers.
Probably has volunteers that do the calling from their homes. In that case I would answer a call and request that they remove you from their list and see if that helps.

Or ask them some questions and say it's for research for "Name any other political party" and claim to work for them. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 12:24 pm
crookedmember wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 11:23 am

Yes you can! Unfortunately, "Patricia" uses a lot of numbers.
Probably has volunteers that do the calling from their homes. In that case I would answer a call and request that they remove you from their list and see if that helps.

Or ask them some questions and say it's for research for "Name any other political party" and claim to work for them. :biggrin:
They can also fake numbers on caller id. I've had my own number show up more than once.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

JLives wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 1:00 pm They can also fake numbers on caller id. I've had my own number show up more than once.
Yes but that is usually the scam callers. Political party's should/would not do that.

I would hope they are not that stupid. (Well maybe)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Sparki55 wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 11:04 am
crookedmember wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 10:55 am There's no such thing as a 'private email address.'

You used your 'private email address' for something, sometime, and it ended up on a list that was sold.

Same way the CPC got my 'private cell number' and keeps sending me texts from 'Patricia' asking "Can we count on your support? Reply Y or N."

Since there's no "Go bleep yourself, Patricia" option, I remain silent.
It's illegal.

https://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home

Please report every instance to help the fight against unsolicited texts and emails.
Pretty sure political parties are exempt. They can also text you now and some are.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

common_sense_guy wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 9:24 pm
Sparki55 wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 11:04 am

It's illegal.

https://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home

Please report every instance to help the fight against unsolicited texts and emails.
Pretty sure political parties are exempt. They can also text you now and some are.
Yeah that was posted earlier too. Seems to be the case although there is news articles about banning this in the future, sane rules as other soliciting.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I haven’t received a reply yet to the email I sent back asking how they got access to my name and private email address.

I wonder if I ever will get a reply?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Merry wrote: Aug 6th, 2021, 8:34 am I haven’t received a reply yet to the email I sent back asking how they got access to my name and private email address.

Tell them that you want to donate. You'll hear from them pretty fast. lol
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Aug 6th, 2021, 9:10 am
Merry wrote: Aug 6th, 2021, 8:34 am I haven’t received a reply yet to the email I sent back asking how they got access to my name and private email address.

Tell them that you want to donate. You'll hear from them pretty fast. lol
👍
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Merry wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 12:11 pmIf they get your email address legitimately, the Law DOES allow Political Partys to send unsolicited emails (which it shouldn’t IMO). But does the Law allow them to obtain yor email address from Government mailing lists? (I doubt it). Or from mailing lists being sold on the dark web?
Please pursue this vigorously Merry. While it may be technically legal, it does tread on thin moral ice, and shows little respect for privacy.

PS: I've got an old hotmail address I never use anymore. If you can sell it to them I'll split the money with you.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Your tax dollars likely went to phishing your email address for the Liberal Party of Canada, Merry.

Trudeau's best bud received tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars to do just that.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... s-digital/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

how is this pure scummbag not in jail yet
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Aug 7th, 2021, 11:52 am Your tax dollars likely went to phishing your email address for the Liberal Party of Canada, Merry.

Trudeau's best bud received tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars to do just that.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... s-digital/
Old news, CPC were caught doing the same and more.

Return to “Canada”