Our own WKRP ?

A potpourri of off-topics.
my5cents
Guru

Our own WKRP ?

Post by my5cents »

Humor is created in many ways. One way is to highlighting complete ineptness and incompetence.

Many years ago TV listeners were entertained by a half hour TV sitcom “WKRP in Cincinnati”. I was great fun to watch the incompetence of employees of a radio station. However when a community is relying on actual news reporting from a provider and continually sees flubs and incompetence it’s not funny it’s sad.

If a reporter or news reader or technical crew can’t correctly report the news, it leaves the viewer to wonder how accurate the actual content of that news is ?

In the Okanagan, perhaps we should prepare ourselves for something similar to the WKRP in Cincinnati episode entitled “Turkeys Away” where the inept crew hold a Thanksgiving promotion to give away turkeys by dumping live turkeys from a helicopter over a shopping mall. Summed up in the historically funny statement by the station manager character: “As God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly”.

After years of listening to Doris Bregolisse struggling to read the English language, and the stream of green recently graduated journalism students attempting to report news, to the stint of eastern news personalities reading and producing the news from Toronto (pretending to be local) brings us all our memorable favorites…

• (the proverbial post weather cast banter, easter news reader to eastern weather person … in late December) “Well that’s great, so it looks like we’re going to have a white Christmas this year,,,yes, the west coast is certainly where it’s at…”

• (one of the many inexperienced hires reporting on a problem at Kent Institution) “and at the Kent Institution in “Ag-a-sizz, in the Fra-Zire Valley” (Agassiz pronounced Ag-a-Sea)

• (reporting on a home made bomb that exploded in the south Okanagan) “The scrap-nell damaged….” ? that’s shrapnel ?

When the video being shown is completely unrelated to the text being read by the anchor it’s not even noteworthy, because it happens so often. Incorrect banners or misspelling in same is also routine.

If there isn’t enough news to fill an hour slot, then reduce it to thirty minutes. Do we really need three weather segments by Pee Wee Herman ? Each cluttered with viewers photo’s ?? How about thirty minutes of real news a concise weather report and then show a thirty minute idiotic photo program ? That will sure get the advertisers clambering for a ad slot.

The Sunday evening thirty minute news,,, the entire second half is a travel agent infomercial. ?? Really so someone thinks that the shorter thirty minute news on Sunday has room for a fifteen minute infomercial ???

I was entertained last night, the incompetent bumbling crew, I guess thought it would be a great idea to impress the viewers with their vocabulary knowledge.

Now CHBC is in the news business, that’s all they actually produce everything else is network sourced. So they're in the business of C O M M U N I C A T I N G. Right ?

How many of you know the definition of “scofflaw”. I didn’t.

CHBC banner: “$50,000 in fines for scofflaws since BC-wide campfire ban”
scofflaw
[ˈskôflô]
NOUN
a person who flouts the law, especially by failing to comply with a law that is difficult to enforce effectively.
"scofflaws who have accumulated large debts in unpaid parking tickets"
Certainly "impressed" me.

Minutes earlier the news anchor who’s been in the community since early Dec ’20, told us about an incident on “Clow Road” (KLO Road) for any none Kelowna familiar readers KLO Road is pronounced “K” “L” “O”, it stands for Kelowna Lands and Orchards an early company in the Kelowna area that developed land. I remember laughing when a visiting friend asked me something about “Clow Road”, “what ??” “Oh, you mean K L O Road”. When my wife and I heard that last night we turned to each other and rolled our eyes.

Shouldn’t the Kelowna TV station anchor know how, in the least, to pronounce a street name IN Kelowna ????

There are some on the staff that do a good job, sad they have to be mixed with the inept.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Our own WKRP ?

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

While I am not familiar with CHBC, we do have our own "WKRP" in Kamloops.
As for your critique, the station should be thankful you watch them enough to find all their flaws.

Now can you imagine they send out one of their young reporters and he/she comes across an Archie Bunker? :200:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

bb49 wrote: Aug 3rd, 2021, 3:07 pm While I am not familiar with CHBC, we do have our own "WKRP" in Kamloops.
As for your critique, the station should be thankful you watch them enough to find all their flaws.

Now can you imagine they send out one of their young reporters and he/she comes across an Archie Bunker? :200:
Yes, I'm a lot closer to Archie as I grow older.

I guess my "excuse" for watching nightly is morbid curiosity as to what more they can screw up.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote: Aug 3rd, 2021, 12:37 pm I remember laughing when a visiting friend asked me something about “Clow Road”, “what ??”
Funny but that's how my GPS pronounces it too.

Everything you posted about is why I refuse to watch CHBC anymore. Especially Pee Wee doing the News. He was the last straw.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 3rd, 2021, 4:24 pm Funny but that's how my GPS pronounces it too.

Everything you posted about is why I refuse to watch CHBC anymore. Especially Pee Wee doing the News. He was the last straw.
Yes, I'm getting pretty close as well.

I always record it so I can fast forward thru Pee Wee's first segment, I fast forward through the photo's get tomorrow's forecast and fast forward again. I stop watching and delete the program before the third segment.

Funny the odd time Mark Madrega the head weather guy in Vancr has done the OK weather, it's interesting, informative and I enjoy it. Also my blood pressure stays low.

There are some great people there feel sorry for them.

The first one to fire, I guess would be the station manager he's obviously allowed this farce to continue.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote: Aug 3rd, 2021, 6:34 pm
The first one to fire, I guess would be the station manager he's obviously allowed this farce to continue.
Probably not his/her fault. This all comes from their HO.

We now watch Global Vancouver. Much better News and Weather people. Best part of that is no Pee Wee except on the rarest of occasions. There is just something about him that irritates the heck out of me.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 9:05 am Probably not his/her fault. This all comes from their HO.

We now watch Global Vancouver. Much better News and Weather people. Best part of that is no Pee Wee except on the rarest of occasions. There is just something about him that irritates the heck out of me.
Me too. The white spittle in the corner of his mouth, is lovely to see.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I suspect the stations in Kelowna are similar to Penticton in they are "training" stations. Fresh out of broadcasting or perhaps a previous station for a bit and come to the Okanagan where the sunshine tax is fully implemented and have a go at honing any skill you might possibly have in broadcasting. Get it figured out, move on to more lucrative markets, don't, continue to embarrass yourself on air.

Never figured out why Penticton plays "top 40" dog excrement targeting tweenies and then the advert comes on advertising Skaha Ford and great deals on $70,000.00 + F-350's.

Guess I'm missing something here. Anyway, Sirrus is in both my vehicles, well worth the fees in my opinion.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I'd watch the News if PeeWee was actually on the channel.
Who is the guy you are referring to?
Clow makes me smile, like when people sign off on emails etc CHOW hehe
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote: Aug 8th, 2021, 8:24 am I'd watch the News if PeeWee was actually on the channel.
Who is the guy you are referring to?
peter-headshot_on-wht.jpg
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Thanks Sudsy
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

He also has an annoying voice, at least to me with my hearing aides.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Oh boy! I agree with everything here.
I have tried to watch Global Okanagan a couple times recently and just could not do it.

The comparison to WKRP is actually an insult.....to WKRP.

It was brilliantly written and performed. Our so-called "local" news is just plain embarrassing.

I used to get annoyed when people got subject/verb agreement wrong.
Example: A group of people were there.
Sorry, a group (collective noun) is singular. A group of people WAS there.

Then the ever-popular "prisoner was hung". Really? Interesting anatomical information, but not relevant to a cause of death.

There used to be something called Public Speaking training and Broadcast School that taught people how to read and pronounce things properly. There were rules such as, when a word starts with a vowel, and is preceded by the word THE, you pronounce THEE.
Example: Thee apples were ripe. Not thuh apples.

I do understand that the problem is not just with the on-air staff, but with the writing, lack of proofreading and editing, not to mention nearly complete absence of fact checking....

I will stick to WKRP. (Sadly, it has been compromised as well. The new broadcast has been edited as they could not afford the broadcast rights to the music on the original show.)

https://www.oocities.org/wkrpvote/music ... l%20me.-,2)%20WHY%20WAS%20THE%20MUSIC%20REPLACED%3F,rock%20songs%20on%20the%20show.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gardengirl wrote: Aug 8th, 2021, 1:02 pm
I do understand that the problem is not just with the on-air staff, but with the writing, lack of proofreading and editing, not to mention nearly complete absence of fact checking....
This seems strikingly familiar....Oh ya, Castanet posters! :biggrin:
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

bb49 wrote: Aug 3rd, 2021, 3:07 pm While I am not familiar with CHBC, we do have our own "WKRP" in Kamloops.

Could you be talking about CFJC?
We have been laughing about them for years. You don't have to look at the dial to know what channel you are on, just watch all the home-made advertising and you know.
Their local commercials are cringe-worthy.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Grab Bag”