One Way Border!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

One Way Border!

Post by Bsuds »

Not sure that I am a fan of Americans being allowed to cross the border into Canada and we are not given the same privilege to go South!

They seem to be having more trouble controlling Covid there than we are and have a lower vaccination rate.

I sure hope this doesn't backfire on us!
Last edited by Bsuds on Aug 9th, 2021, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Re: One Way Border!

Post by zookeeper »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 8:10 am Not sure that I am a fan of Americans being allowed to cross the border into Canada and we are not given the same privilege to go South!

They seem to be having more trouble controlling Covid there than we are and have a lower vaccination rate.

I sure hope this doesn't backfire on us!
Research what it takes to get into Canada.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

zookeeper wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 8:25 am
Research what it takes to get into Canada.
I know it's not going to be super easy but my point still is why only 1 way?

Especially when our record is better than theirs as well as we are headed in the wrong direction with Covid cases.
spooker

Post by spooker »

If the Americans opened their border it would probably be to anyone with no requirements to prove Covid-negative ... I can just see the ads now, "throw off your mask and your worries, come visit our beautiful epicenters!" ...

Maybe having the border closed to southern travel will stop our worst from being even more stupid ...
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

The US is reluctant to open their border with Canada without also opened up their border to Mexico. They fear backlash from doing so. Under 22% of the Mexican populations is fully vaccinated.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Case fatality rate:

Mexico is 8.2%
USA is 1.7%
Canada is 1.8%

These figures are from John Hopkins.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

With Covid going rampant in the US other countries are considering restricting allowing Americans in.

Here we are opening our Border to them.

Go figure!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

MalaPropina wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 5:24 pm The US is reluctant to open their border with Canada without also opened up their border to Mexico. They fear backlash from doing so. Under 22% of the Mexican populations is fully vaccinated.
The US-Mexico border is still closed until Aug 21st, when it will be reviewed if to open it or not, just like the Canadian border.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I'm just fine with double vaccinated Americans coming into Canada. There are Canadians not vaccinated that are the problem right here.
MalaPropina wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 5:24 pm The US is reluctant to open their border with Canada without also opened up their border to Mexico. They fear backlash from doing so. Under 22% of the Mexican populations is fully vaccinated.
There are two ways that one can enter the US right now.
Fly into the US. No questions are asked.
Walk across the US/Mexican border. Not many questions are asked, and just pretend not to know English.
Though this method is better if your skin is a bit brown.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Open the border... don’t open it, only have traffic northward.

I really don’t give a damn.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Walk across the US/Mexican border. Not many questions are asked, and just pretend not to know English.
Though this method is better if your skin is a bit brown.
They are pretty wise to that tactic, they have lots of Spanish/Mexican speaking border guards available.

What are you going to do when they start interviewing you in Mexican and ask you, "Your country of residence"?
Bring back the LIKE button.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

alanjh595 wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 8:22 pm
What are you going to do when they start interviewing you in Mexican and ask you, "Your country of residence"?
Sí! Tacos! :138: :biggrin:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

dos cervezas por favor.

Get's me what I want, wherever/whenever I go to Mexico.
Bring back the LIKE button.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Coronavirus and Border openings

Post by common_sense_guy »

Maybe there is something I'm not getting and someone here can explain it to me. Why the heck are we Opening Our borders to international travel when this new Delta variant is more contagious and apparently worse for us.? Like seriously.
We all know it's going to increase cases and we're already losing our rights within Canada because the cases are rising from Canadians alone. So we are supposed to be okay with letting foreign Travelers bring more virus in at the expense of scaling back our rights as Canadians. This does not sit well with me and it shouldn't sit well with anybody.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

alanjh595 wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 9:11 pm dos cervezas por favor.
Pairs quite well with tacos - followed by a shot or two of tequila :up:

Darn it! Now I want tacos. Might have to try that little cantina down the street on Chatham.

Return to “Social Concerns”