More money for seniors?

Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

More money for seniors?

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

The federal government letter says seniors over 75 are to receive 5 hundred dollars August 16 which is a "top up" to their Old Age Security payment until a 10 per cent rise takes effect next year.
Now, here is the mystery.
Old Age Security payments are not taxable.
So, why does the letter state the $5 hundred dollars is taxable, and must be declared on the 2021 Income Tax Return?
Also, if a person is receiving an Income Supplement, based on income, it could result in a clawback.
Do you ever get the impression governments don't think things through?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: More money for seniors?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 11:17 am The federal government letter says seniors over 75 are to receive 5 hundred dollars August 16 which is a "top up" to their Old Age Security payment until a 10 per cent rise takes effect next year.
Now, here is the mystery.
Old Age Security payments are not taxable.
So, why does the letter state the $5 hundred dollars is taxable, and must be declared on the 2021 Income Tax Return?
Also, if a person is receiving an Income Supplement, based on income, it could result in a clawback.
Where on earth did you get that notion from? :135:

They most definitely ARE taxable. :smt045
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The only government pension benefit that isn't taxed is the GIS.
OAS payments are included in your taxable income for the year and taxed based on your income tax bracket.

At the end of the tax year, you will receive a T4A (OAS) tax slip from Service Canada that shows how much OAS pension you received and how much taxes were deducted.
https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/is-oas-taxable/
You do not have to pay taxes on your Guaranteed Income Supplement payment. You must file your taxes by April 30 every year to avoid any disruption of payments.
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... iving.html
CPP retirement pension is considered to be taxable income.

Taxes are not automatically deducted and depending on your overall income, you may owe CRA at tax time.
https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/is-cpp-taxable/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I feel 75 today so hope I get a cheque
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 11:17 am The federal government letter says seniors over 75 are to receive 5 hundred dollars August 16 which is a "top up" to their Old Age Security payment until a 10 per cent rise takes effect next year.
Link:
https://financialpost.com/personal-fina ... ng-months
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 11:17 am Do you ever get the impression governments don't think things through?
The Trudeau government hasn't the mental capacity to think in the first place.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Where on earth did you get that notion from? :135:

They most definitely ARE taxable. :smt045
Talking to various seniors who are eligible for this who are also complaining, what I believe the issue is that tax is being deducted at source on these $500 vote-buying cheques from the Liberals, which seniors aren't used to. They are used to getting 100% of their cheque upfront, and dealing with whatever tax they have to pay later. I'm not saying that this is true, just what seniors are telling me. The issue here though is the Liberals are taking an obvious vote-buying with taxpayer money scam and having it blow up in their faces, by deducting tax. If you want to buy off seniors with tax money go ahead, but do it in a way that doesn't p--s them off. Dumb-dumb Liberals!!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Unless the senior has instructed the government to deduct taxes each month from their pension cheque(s), no taxes or deductions will be taken from the $500 payment. Even if taxes are being deducted monthly, it appears this one-time payment will be for the full amount.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... niors.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

oneh2obabe wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 5:40 pm ^^^Unless the senior has instructed the government to deduct taxes each month from their pension cheque(s), no taxes or deductions will be taken from the $500 payment.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... niors.html
OK thank you. As I said, I'm just going off of what I've been told, not saying it's true. What's funny is that even if something isn't true, if it goes through the senior email chain they all just believe it. Anyway, thanks for the info.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 11:17 am
Canada has an extremely competent public service and they do think things through.

Be happy the Liberals are giving you a raise, because the Conservatives would be more interested in giving the wealthy tax cuts.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

crookedmember wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Canada has an extremely competent public service and they do think things through.
LOL - talk about Liberal propaganda. While the public service is what it is, those elected above them right now are complete brain-dead imbeciles. Which is why we have to punt these boneheads out of power.
Be happy the Liberals are giving you a raise,
With taxpayers money. Yes, be happy the Liberals are buying your vote with your grandchildren's money. Great idea! :up:
because the Conservatives would be more interested in giving the wealthy tax cuts.
No they wouldn't. The Conservatives would only be interested in looking out for these peoples' grandchildren, instead of selling them down the river like the scumbag Liberals are doing right now.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Why do seniors always get extra help?

They had all their lives to prepare for rainy days like they always preach.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

And whose brilliant idea was it that determined only seniors 75 and older are worthy of extra $500.00 bucks ? Are there no struggling 73 year olds ? Or 67 year olds ?
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

You're going to love the reasons behind this fiasco. According to the government, seniors 74 years of age and younger are more likely to be working part-time thereby not requiring the one-time payment or the scheduled 10% increase to the pension starting in 2022. According to the original blurb, the government said 34% of seniors 74 years of age were more than likely working part-time so didn't need the increase.

According to the government, seniors 75 years of age and older, if employed, earn roughly $750.00 annually so the "senior" 3.3M pensioners born on or before June 30th, 1947 need the one-time payment and increased pension to cover costs - heat, hydro, health care and so on. Out of luck if you were born on or after July 1st, 1947.

Instead of creating two separate classes of seniors, the government should have increased the pensions of all seniors by 5-7% without offering the additional one-time payment. And the BS about increased costs for seniors 75 years of age and older is just that - BS - don't tell me all seniors don't see the same increase in heat, housing, hydro, etc.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote: Aug 12th, 2021, 10:08 am
Instead of creating two separate classes of seniors, the government should have increased the pensions of all seniors by 5-7% without offering the additional one-time payment. And the BS about increased costs for seniors 75 years of age and older is just that - BS - don't tell me all seniors don't see the same increase in heat, housing, hydro, etc.
Exactly! Maybe they should just go by what Seniors income are.

Some have millions of dollars stashed away and some have nothing. The nothings should get an increase not everyone!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Canada”