Anyone ever live in Grand Forks, BC?

Business and professional recommendations.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Anyone ever live in Grand Forks, BC?

Post by OKkayak »

normaM wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 4:48 pm OK, is that because they are dead of boredom, or was there a dabber fight at bingo night?
[icon_lol2.gif]

Employment circumstances.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

bigtimeoperations wrote: Aug 8th, 2021, 7:56 pm but Christina Lake is a short drive away.
Had the best hamburger ever at Lisa's Lakehouse in Christina Lake.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Must be some very rich people that live there, this is the cheapest house I could find.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2348 ... stina-lake
Bring back the LIKE button.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

crookedmember wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 6:18 pm
Had the best hamburger ever at Lisa's Lakehouse in Christina Lake.
Christian Lake always reminds me of some 80s summer movie, totally has that vibe to it - I dig it :up:
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

alanjh595 wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 6:27 pm Must be some very rich people that live there, this is the cheapest house I could find.

If you don't put any filters on the realtor site, you get a wider range of available properties.

Beautifully renovated one level ranch home on over 1/2 ac with front and back decks and a 680 sq ft detached garage/shop with 200-amp panel and an exterior RV power outlet.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2351 ... stina-lake

Private country oasis located on a tranquil 5.18 acre parcel featuring lovely gardens and green spaces.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2344 ... stina-lake
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Love " burger road" more streets should be named after food
Taco Terrace, Croissant Cres, Donut Drive
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

My father moved from Kelowna to Grand Forks about 10 years ago for retirement. Have visited often - here's my take on the place.
- The dying of boredom comments aren't far from the truth depending on the type of person you are. But yeah, community events and options for entertainment are sparse. You need to entertain yourself, not look to others/businesses for entertainment. Great place to buy a large piece of property and keep yourself busy maintaining it.
- This is a community with an uncertain future. Population has been declining, many businesses closed due to the floods simply never re-opened. They're in desperate need of new industry in that town.
- Understanding flood potential and risks is important when selecting properties. Even "what side of the river" you're looking at could be important as the south side has potential to be trapped between the US border and a flooded river.
- Good shopping for day to day stuff like groceries, pharmacy, basic hardware, etc. But you'll likely find yourself heading to Kelowna or Spokane once a month for larger shopping trips (Costco run, back to school, fashion, specialty or big purchases, etc.)
- Friendly people. The bulk of the population is at or near retirement age. Turning into a bit of a sleepy retirement community.
- Hard place to raise teenagers/young adults. Great for younger kids, but hard on teenagers. Not a lot of opportunity, sparse job market, no school beyond high school, not a lot of other people same age, not of a lot of activities that appeal to that age group, etc.
- Urban Deer are everywhere and a major problem. A short 10min drive through town on any particular day will net you at least 3 dead deer sightings due to collisions with vehicles. Locals don't say "Have you ever hit a deer". They say "How many deer have you hit?" You will need to protect your gardens and plants somehow. You will end up making a claim with ICBC.
- Proximity to US border/Spokane and Christina Lake do offer some opportunities, especially with regard to entertainment. If you're a social person - lots of holiday/vacation traffic at Christina and lots of opportunities to meet new people, have a beer with folks in a talkative vacation mode, etc.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Aug 10th, 2021, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

TylerM4 wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 10:27 am
- Urban Deer are everywhere and a major problem. A short 10min drive through town on any particular day will net you at least 3 dear deer sightings due to collisions with vehicles. Locals don't say "Have you ever hit a deer". They say "How many deer have you hit?" You will need to protect your gardens and plants somehow. You will end up making a claim with ICBC.
Sounds like Penticton (except for the dead part - I've only seen one hit on our busy street, even though they roam down here daily).
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

alanjh595 wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 6:27 pm Must be some very rich people that live there, this is the cheapest house I could find.

$789,000 for a 2,257 sq ft home on 11.25 acres. That's value for the dollar, relatively speaking.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

normaM wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 6:16 am Love " burger road" more streets should be named after food
Taco Terrace, Croissant Cres, Donut Drive
Maybe the road was named after Mr. and Mrs. Burger*.
And who's to say the Croissant family hasn't established a homestead somewhere in the world for which a street was named after them?

*The Burger surname refers to a citizen of a borough, from the Middle High German "burc," meaning a "fortified town." As a surname, Burger may also come from one of the many place names in the region.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Let me live my Life :P Yea, GF probably didn't have burgers til 98 J/K.. I'm joking. Don't get the fine residents of GF on my tail ( I will distract them by bingo calling as I make my getaway in the weinermobile)
Crabcake Court
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Smorg Street.

Loved going there for the weekend, throw the bikes on the truck, rent a room with a pool. It was a nice quiet weekend away, not too far.

Knew older people that lived there, they moved to the city because travel for medical care was long and costly.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Gin Fest.

Ah, memories...sorta... :biggrin:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

zookeeper wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 10:31 pm Smorg Street.
Now that's a street I could live on! Variety is the spice of life.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

dirtybiker wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 10:49 pm Gin Fest.

Ah, memories...sorta... :biggrin:
I googled this Gin Fest and it came back with 'CannaFest has changed it's name to Canada Rock Fest.' Who knew GF likes to have fun?
"Canada Rock Fest will go ahead in Grand Forks BC with an all star lineup."

Return to “Referrals”