Coulson Aviation Released by BC MOF

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Coulson Aviation Released by BC MOF

Post by JagXKR »

IFR approaches. If you depart VFR and try and return and the conditions go IFR you would need IFR approaches in order to return. Even if you departed IFR same thing. There were NO IFR approaches into CYYF for a while. That means you can't get back to base in low visibility.
All of the tankers left CYYF last week. No ops could take place here. They are back now, of course the weather has changed.
Not sure where they went but flightaware showed some of them departing CYBL.
As to Coulson, I hope they do well as a BC company using their massively expensive planes and choppers. If they do well they will pay lots of taxes. :up:
They still need scoopers and we are using CL215T's from Alberta. One day I would like to see a massive fleet of 515's here in BC.
Truly a great new plane that would utilize the natural lakes and rivers to douse fires. Stay close to the actual fire for hours instead of retreating to bases to refill.
https://www.vikingair.com/viking-aircra ... -responder
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

deedub wrote: Aug 2nd, 2021, 9:56 am meanwhile the province burns .
A few years back , a fire started in the forests just next to Sproat Lake .. The mighty , might Martin Mars was not even 50 km's away and ready to go and could have put it out quicker than putting a cig out in a glass of water ..

But , NOPE ...

The Mars sat and the fire burned ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Drip_Torch wrote: Aug 8th, 2021, 8:16 pm If you think the geography in general, the fuel conditions, or the fire weather at the moment are at all conducive to "back-burning" [icon_lol2.gif] ; or believe that only two firing operations have gone out of control - I haven't underestimated what you know.

Investment and innovation is what sets Coulson Next-Gen assets apart from the current fleet in BC.
Agreed .. Go BIG , or go home ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

bb49 wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 1:46 pm California is where the big bucks are.
Longer fire season and paid in Yankee dollars.
One of the reasons I suspect they are not up here.

In the olden days, helicopter tariff rates were around 1%/ hour of the value of the aircraft.
Looking at Bell 212 prices of 1.5 mil to 3.5 mil (usd) I suspect the hourly tariffs are around $2200/hour usd now dry. All parts are in USD as well.

Coulson will do well in the Sates. Another company I used to work with also has, or had a number of Heli's in the States. Drive by Alpine Helicopters and have a look at the registration numbers on the tail booms, many with " N " number, US registration.

In the meantime, the heli's at Penticton airport are getting a few hours a day at the moment and I see a couple of mediums, 212, 412 fly back and forth from West Bank every day.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

MAPearce wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 8:17 amA few years back , a fire started in the forests just next to Sproat Lake .. The mighty , might Martin Mars was not even 50 km's away and ready to go and could have put it out quicker than putting a cig out in a glass of water ..

But , NOPE ...

Ya.....so?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 2:44 pm
MAPearce wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 8:17 amA few years back , a fire started in the forests just next to Sproat Lake .. The mighty , might Martin Mars was not even 50 km's away and ready to go and could have put it out quicker than putting a cig out in a glass of water ..

But , NOPE ...

Ya.....so?
So the equipment was in plain sight of the fire but the Gov't chit the bed and let it burn .....

Not so much " so " but "why" ?
Vladtheimpaler

Post by Vladtheimpaler »

The plane doesnt belong to the government.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

MAPearce wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 2:47 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Ya.....so?
So the equipment was in plain sight of the fire but the Gov't chit the bed and let it burn .....

Not so much " so " but "why" ?
Costs. Please remember that not even the BC Liberals used said company's equipment. So both the BC Liberals and the BC NDP are using fiscal prudence over planes we don't want or need. End of story.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

JagXKR wrote: Aug 9th, 2021, 12:58 pm IFR approaches. If you depart VFR and try and return and the conditions go IFR you would need IFR approaches in order to return. Even if you departed IFR same thing. There were NO IFR approaches into CYYF for a while. That means you can't get back to base in low visibility.
All of the tankers left CYYF last week. No ops could take place here. They are back now, of course the weather has changed.
Not sure where they went but flightaware showed some of them departing CYBL.
As to Coulson, I hope they do well as a BC company using their massively expensive planes and choppers. If they do well they will pay lots of taxes. :up:
They still need scoopers and we are using CL215T's from Alberta. One day I would like to see a massive fleet of 515's here in BC.
Truly a great new plane that would utilize the natural lakes and rivers to douse fires. Stay close to the actual fire for hours instead of retreating to bases to refill.
https://www.vikingair.com/viking-aircra ... -responder
I believe that the CL's that were here from Alberta were actually 415's. (the 215's have the old radial/noisy engines). Would be nice to see the 515's for sure.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Costs. Please remember that not even the BC Liberals used said company's equipment. So both the BC Liberals and the BC NDP are using fiscal prudence over planes we don't want or need. End of story.
Nope .. Not the end of the story ..

When you think of " costs " , please include the ones that will be payed by NOT putting out a fire that wipes out ENTIRE communities ...

The Mars cost 60K per hour to run but to replace the entire South Slopes of Kelowna in 2003 cost how much ???

Think about it .

You can "end the story" after that math ...
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

MAPearce wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 4:37 pm
Nope .. Not the end of the story ..

When you think of " costs " , please include the ones that will be payed by NOT putting out a fire that wipes out ENTIRE communities ...

The Mars cost 60K per hour to run but to replace the entire South Slopes of Kelowna in 2003 cost how much ???

Think about it .

You can "end the story" after that math ...
Fires in BC and along the West is an ongoing issue for as long as can be seen. As such money is allocated to fire suppression. If one plane company doesn't fall into the financial scope. Cest La Vie. Coulson isn't a fire suppression messiah that can work miracles all over this province. This is free market capitalism at its most beautiful level. The government does NOT need to hire this company - end of story. And the suppositions of armchair fire suppression experts in a forum - wont change this saving of money.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Fires in BC and along the West is an ongoing issue for as long as can be seen. As such money is allocated to fire suppression. If one plane company doesn't fall into the financial scope. Cest La Vie. Coulson isn't a fire suppression messiah that can work miracles all over this province. This is free market capitalism at its most beautiful level. The government does NOT need to hire this company - end of story. And the suppositions of armchair fire suppression experts in a forum - wont change this saving of money.
Say that again ... REALLY . SLOW ...

It's why we burn ....

Save money or save LIVES ...

It COSTS to do "that"...
Vladtheimpaler

Post by Vladtheimpaler »

Coulson has equipment that's much more effective and efficient at fire suppression than the mars aircraft. They say so themselves. Thats why they benched the mars.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Vladtheimpaler wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 7:08 pm Coulson has equipment that's much more effective and efficient at fire suppression than the mars aircraft. They say so themselves. Thats why they benched the mars.
Likely and parts would have to be made, (gov. red tape to have them certified) Maybe the BC government wanted to supply jet fuel only. They only re-fueled at Sproat Lake.. ( long turn around times..)

Anyway, they are gone as are the old TMB Avenger, A26, DC 6 piston bangers.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

XT225 wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 4:36 pm I believe that the CL's that were here from Alberta were actually 415's. (the 215's have the old radial/noisy engines). Would be nice to see the 515's for sure.
So after a bit of digging the 4 aircraft are CL-215T owned by Conair and operated for the Province of Alberta. The "T" is the replaced engine version of the old 215 with the radial piston.
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/ ... hSimp.aspx
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23870098@N04/5858984880
Also there are no aircraft fighting fires that use 100ll. All are turbine engines using Jet-A.
Not sure why or who made the change but no piston engines are being used in BC.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Fire Watch 2021”