Anyone ever live in Grand Forks, BC?

Business and professional recommendations.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Anyone ever live in Grand Forks, BC?

Post by normaM »

2022 and doesn't seem like " all stars" are locked in
I imagine there is lots of open space and cheaper than holding it in a bigger City
i do miss COG
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Lasagna Lane. Beer Blvd.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Rejigger wrote: Aug 11th, 2021, 10:25 am
dirtybiker wrote: Aug 10th, 2021, 10:49 pm Gin Fest.

Ah, memories...sorta... :biggrin:
I googled this Gin Fest and it came back with 'CannaFest has changed it's name to Canada Rock Fest.' Who knew GF likes to have fun?
"Canada Rock Fest will go ahead in Grand Forks BC with an all star lineup."
Gin Fest was not a corporate event.
It was just a gathering of peoples up the North Fork.(early 90's)
Based on the sand-bars of the river.
Mostly irresponsible youth. :biggrin:
Camping, music, booze, bikinis and less, and such, volleyball in the shallows of the river, belly-flop
competitions, many other games and shenanigans.

The best of times....ever !

Yes, there were some injuries and darker happenings.
Part and parcel to any such event.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I never been up the North Fork, least not in last 40 years., i imagine it to be a lot like Beaverdell type people and lifestyle.. :D
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Eyeswideopen
Board Meister

Post by Eyeswideopen »

golferswife wrote: Aug 7th, 2021, 1:47 pm We recently moved from Kelowna to Grand Forks. We’re a middle aged couple approaching retirement. We lived in Kelowna for many years. We have not had a single regret in the 5 months that we have been here. As a youngster I spent my summers at Christina Lake, so the area is familiar. Dining choices are limited (shout out to the Wooden Spoon!), as are shopping choices, but we have personally not missed any of those things. Life is quiet, sirens are rare and parking is both plentiful and free everywhere.
We enjoy the outdoors in all seasons, and the area has much to offer. Depends on your personal preferences. Real estate is becoming increasingly expensive, and most new listings seem to sell fairly quickly. Kelowna was very good for us while we lived there. Besides family and friends, we don’t miss it a bit.

Cheers!
Christina Lake makes the summers bearable but wait till you spend a winter there before judging. You will probably find yourself going to Spokane a lot. No decent ski hills like the Okanagan or even Nelson/Castlegar has. If I wanted to live in a small town I would rather be in the West Kootenays. At least there is some shopping, skiing, and a proper hospital there. More outdoors stuff too. You have Kootenay Lake/Kokanee Glacier/Ainsworth hotsprings etc.
Last edited by Eyeswideopen on Aug 12th, 2021, 2:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
golferswife

Post by golferswife »

Red Mountain is located in Rossland, so not that far away. My downhill skiing days are behind me, so not really an issue for us. We began to look at real estate in Grand Forks last January. The weather here was pretty much the same as it was in Kelowna. Grand Forks also receives more sunshine during the winter months because they don’t get the lake cloud effect blocking the sun in the valley bottom. Kelowna winters are generally grey and depressing, imho. And I have literally zero desire to go to Spokane.
To each their own. 😊. Grand forks has been a really good choice for us.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 13th, 2021, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I think they are asking for a comparison between there and here.. imagine that !
And hoping to find folks that have lived in both places..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
dscarson

Post by dscarson »

Queen K wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 6:15 am My dad was born and raised there in a Doukabour Village under Hardy Mountain. We visited relatives all the time, weekends were spent on the small farm, Carson Road.

I tongue in cheek said "it helps if you speak Russian" because we regret to this day never really learning it, where in Kelowna did I have a chance and if you don't use it you lose it.

To me GF is three hours closer to where I'd like to explore more, deeper in the Kootaneys and the Crow's Nest Pass area. For ocean loving people, it's three hours further away.

It's a great place to be if employment and money is no issue and where isn't?
It's a great town to live if you don't need to earn money. My family has owned a farm at the top of Hardy mountain since the early 70s. The Carson farm just past the Dahl property. My grandfather William Carson eventually bought two homes in town across the bridge by the pope and Talbot mill but my uncle and my cousins still live up on the top of hardy today. No electricity up there in early 70s.
Drive an EV, I need your gas.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Exactly, don't need to earn money. Keep your living expectations low and even, shop second hand, don't go anywhere too often, know everyone and garden. My cousin has eked out a living there, barely. Her kids are doing slightly better but most of them got papers in some occupation, so a step up but they're all still renting. I regret not buying a house or two there when it was good, try doing that now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Referrals”