Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by oneh2obabe »

Both employers and employees have a chance to voice their opinion by completing the survey.

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/paidsickleave/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Omg, is the government considering this? :200:

Employers have been nailed left, right and centre the past year or two.
Increases in minimum wages, covid restrictions, employee shortages (just pay them more. Eye roll), ever increasing taxes, etc.

A never-ending assault on businesses.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

bb49 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 9:41 pmA never-ending assault on businesses.
If owners are complaining about external forces being an assault - then they really aren't business people. They are glorified middlemen.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:04 pm
bb49 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 9:41 pmA never-ending assault on businesses.
If owners are complaining about external forces being an assault - then they really aren't business people. They are glorified middlemen.
Do you know anything about operating a business?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

bb49 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:28 pmDo you know anything about operating a business?
I recognize that what people call "businesses" - and the present culture of owners - is unable to exist without subsidy and babysitting from the government. If "businesses" were actually privately funded (without public support) and didn't use human suffering and stress with low wages - then I'm sure that businesses would have been supported more. By workers and by customers. But alas they were not. No one is guaranteed a profit. So I am not going to feel sorry for so called "business" whiners who are failing. Much like business owners don't respect workers on CERB.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:04 pm If owners are complaining about external forces being an assault - then they really aren't business people. They are glorified middlemen.
bb49 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:28 pm Do you know anything about operating a business?
nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:46 pm I recognize that what people call "businesses" - and the present culture of owners - is unable to exist without subsidy and babysitting from the government. If "businesses" were actually privately funded (without public support) and didn't use human suffering and stress with low wages - then I'm sure that businesses would have been supported more. By workers and by customers. But alas they were not. No one is guaranteed a profit. So I am not going to feel sorry for so called "business" whiners who are failing. Much like business owners don't respect workers on CERB.
Quite evident they do NOT.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I did the survey.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Went to fill it out, but there's no survey for the self-employed with no employees.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

I quit the survey when they asked how many days you can afford to pay your employee to be off and and theres no opton for 0. Thats not a proper survey i am not in favor of paid sick leave in any way shape or form as its just a way for people to abuse it, its been happening in union enviorments forever and should not be forced on small business
Last edited by Boosted632 on Aug 14th, 2021, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

This is what I found on goggle..:

Two provinces in Canada do mandate sick leave. In Quebec, a worker is entitled to two days per year, after six months of employment, to be paid by the employer. In Prince Edward Island, a worker is entitled to one employer-paid day per year, after five years of employment.

Interesting that the BC Government is going to out do the rest of canada... just sit back and watch.... I am in the armchair with a coffee in hand... saying ONLY IN British Columbia... lol

Any more comments from business owners ?
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

bb49 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 9:41 pm Omg, is the government considering this? :200:

Employers have been nailed left, right and centre the past year or two.
Increases in minimum wages, covid restrictions, employee shortages (just pay them more. Eye roll), ever increasing taxes, etc.

A never-ending assault on businesses.
Depends on what kind of sick they plan to cover I suppose, the "I don't feel like going to work today sick"? Hangover? The wasn't doing my job in the first place sick?

Go ahead, jump on my comments, I have seen first hand having an excellent plan who uses it the most, don't think for a minute CERB didn't weed them out. Have any of them come back?

Employers and employees are paying alike for this coddling government intervention, it's exhausting.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

rustled wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 8:24 am Went to fill it out, but there's no survey for the self-employed with no employees.
It will be interesting to see who the plan covers. I was self employed for years and considered what would happen if I could not work, a critical illness plan does not cost very much per month.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

zookeeper wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 9:36 am
rustled wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 8:24 am Went to fill it out, but there's no survey for the self-employed with no employees.
It will be interesting to see who the plan covers. I was self employed for years and considered what would happen if I could not work, a critical illness plan does not cost very much per month.
Apparently the self-employed can plan for this, but employees must have their employers' help?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Hmmm... If you happen to be a unionized private sector employee that isn’t covered by any sort of sick pay, the government can’t impose something on the employer that wasn’t negotiated in the collective agreement. Steelworkers, formerly IWA, represents thousands of sawmill workers in BC, unionized mill workers do not get sick pay in BC because the union has never tried to negotiate sick pay, ever. The consensus has always been that if you miss a few days pay because you were sick, you simply make up for it by working a few O/T shifts.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

zookeeper wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 9:36 am
Self employed with no employees involves zero employees so of course they wouldn't be covered. Critical illness is covered under extended health care benefits that are optional for companies. Sick days are very short term, critical illness is long term.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “B.C.”