Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 9:54 am
zookeeper wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 9:36 am

It will be interesting to see who the plan covers. I was self employed for years and considered what would happen if I could not work, a critical illness plan does not cost very much per month.
Self employed with no employees involves zero employees so of course they wouldn't be covered. Critical illness is covered under extended health care benefits that are optional for companies. Sick days are very short term, critical illness is long term.
So it's ok if a self-employed person who is sick either goes to work sick or does without, but an employed person's employer must pay a sick person to not come to work.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

rustled wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 9:48 am
zookeeper wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 9:36 am

It will be interesting to see who the plan covers. I was self employed for years and considered what would happen if I could not work, a critical illness plan does not cost very much per month.
Apparently the self-employed can plan for this, but employees must have their employers' help?
The plan is available to anyone willing to consider it. The government social handouts will not end well, current affairs are a stark warning of this. We've had this argument before, more money needs to be invested into decades old issues that have yet to be addressed such as health care. If covid hasn't brought this into the limelight nothing will, giving someone a handful of paid sick days a year is not going to address the deficiencies in labour shortages, exhaustion in those who have worked diligently, or quality of care in any business.

Invest in the future with government paid training and education. Address the fact that the back end of the baby boomers are now heading into retirement, some of them staying on because of the lack of qualified replacements, qualifications consisting of experience, growth and work ethic.

The warnings came early on in the pandemic, continuing to ignore them will serve no one. Perhaps the conspiracists are more on the mark than we give them credit for.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:46 pm
bb49 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:28 pmDo you know anything about operating a business?
I recognize that what people call "businesses" - and the present culture of owners - is unable to exist without subsidy and babysitting from the government. If "businesses" were actually privately funded (without public support) and didn't use human suffering and stress with low wages - then I'm sure that businesses would have been supported more. By workers and by customers. But alas they were not. No one is guaranteed a profit. So I am not going to feel sorry for so called "business" whiners who are failing. Much like business owners don't respect workers on CERB.
Where does this subsidy and babysitting from the government. and If "businesses" were actually privately funded (without public support) come from? :200:
We're not talking about a far left, Communist regime, with subsidies, we're talking about businesses being nickle and dime to death.

As I asked, Do you know anything about operating a business?
So far I have seen no sign of it.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

zookeeper wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 9:30 am
bb49 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 9:41 pm Omg, is the government considering this? :200:

Employers have been nailed left, right and centre the past year or two.
Increases in minimum wages, covid restrictions, employee shortages (just pay them more. Eye roll), ever increasing taxes, etc.

A never-ending assault on businesses.
Depends on what kind of sick they plan to cover I suppose, the "I don't feel like going to work today sick"? Hangover? The wasn't doing my job in the first place sick?

Go ahead, jump on my comments, I have seen first hand having an excellent plan who uses it the most, don't think for a minute CERB didn't weed them out. Have any of them come back?

Employers and employees are paying alike for this coddling government intervention, it's exhausting.
That's the concern.

And who determines the severity of the illness??
Can they phone in sick, for whatever reason, have be paid to sit at home and recover from whatever ailes them?
Do they receive a full days pay?
Do the require a doctors note? Good luck getting that, and the doctor probably will charge for it.

If it's a short term illness/cold/hangover, they have vacation pay that they can draw from.

But there will be abuses of this proposed system, and yes, it will be another cost to these businesses.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

If the government wants paid sick leave then the government should :cuss: pay for it ive had about enough and if this gets implemented we will be doing the same amount of work with one less guy
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

bb49 wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 11:31 am
zookeeper wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 9:30 am

Depends on what kind of sick they plan to cover I suppose, the "I don't feel like going to work today sick"? Hangover? The wasn't doing my job in the first place sick?

Go ahead, jump on my comments, I have seen first hand having an excellent plan who uses it the most, don't think for a minute CERB didn't weed them out. Have any of them come back?

Employers and employees are paying alike for this coddling government intervention, it's exhausting.
That's the concern.

And who determines the severity of the illness??
Can they phone in sick, for whatever reason, have be paid to sit at home and recover from whatever ailes them?
Do they receive a full days pay?
Do the require a doctors note? Good luck getting that, and the doctor probably will charge for it.

If it's a short term illness/cold/hangover, they have vacation pay that they can draw from.

But there will be abuses of this proposed system, and yes, it will be another cost to these businesses.
Such a plan will guaranteed be abused and a hit to business.

It almost feels like some won't be happy until all business is forced to close.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

So me thinks the government we have now will do their studies.. but have their mind made up... just a guess..lol
So the new paid sick days will be better than Quebec lol who get lots of transfer funds for such things... and hence lets say BC says all employers will have to pay employees after 6 months of work.... in the full time category... 3 days earned...
Suddenly we have a nice heat wave and the beach is more important than work so call in sick.... yes sick of work on beach days... and maybe sick of monday workdays after a hangover sets in.... all in theory - RIGHT

Well the employers only way out is to cancel the full time positions and add 2 part time positions at minimum wage of course,,, and NO benifits... and the cirlcle goes round and round... BC can boast it has added many more jobs... to the stats...
Those employers on their last leg and hanging in there... will find a way to beat this silly idea.... hell they have to do so or not survive,,,

If this is a union idea let it be,,, and it can be a strike for more situation... !!!

MORE TO COME... FOR SURE... IT IS bc - bring cash...
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Could always bank your sick days like they do with vacation pay.

Having lived in Germany for many years, the law there is that the employer must pay 100% of the wages up to 6 weeks per year for sick leave and businesses there ain't struggling.
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

^ 6 weeks per year.... wow... is that after your at same job for some time ?
Tks for the post.... time will tell...
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

polelady wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 4:20 pm ^ 6 weeks per year.... wow... is that after your at same job for some time ?
Tks for the post.... time will tell...
I can't remember if it starts right away or if you have to be at the job for 6 months or something like that. Holiday pay is 20 days (4 weeks) per year and starts the day you start working.

Also, after the 6 weeks of sick days is up, you can apply for sick benefits which equate to 70% of your wage.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

bb49 wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 11:24 amWe're not talking about a far left, Communist regime, with subsidies, we're talking about businesses being nickle and dime to death.

As I asked, Do you know anything about operating a business?
So far I have seen no sign of it.
I dont recognize what you consider a business as one. There is a reason so many so called businesses are in the *bleep*. Its because people felt like it was the easiest way to evade taxes and fudge their income threshold to do so. removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 14th, 2021, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ Prove it, or it just becomes another grasp for a straw, by someone envious of anyone, or thing, that's successful.

If everything is so easy for the small business sector, according to the disgruntled, what's keeping you from opening your own small business and running it the way you all assume it should be run?

I'd say all hat and no cattle about sums it up. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Aug 15th, 2021, 12:54 pm ^^ Prove it, or it just becomes another grasp for a straw, by someone envious of anyone, or thing, that's successful.

If everything is so easy for the small business sector, according to the disgruntled, what's keeping you from opening your own small business and running it the way you all assume it should be run?

I'd say all hat and no cattle about sums it up. :biggrin:
I dont think that what we have done the last 40 years has made society better. The attack on unions has made a society of self made failures. That is easy to prove with how easy it is to declare bankruptcy. Individualism with a name and gst number simply to evade taxes - is not the type of business society needs.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Hurtlander wrote: Aug 14th, 2021, 9:50 am Hmmm... If you happen to be a unionized private sector employee that isn’t covered by any sort of sick pay, the government can’t impose something on the employer that wasn’t negotiated in the collective agreement. Steelworkers, formerly IWA, represents thousands of sawmill workers in BC, unionized mill workers do not get sick pay in BC because the union has never tried to negotiate sick pay, ever. The consensus has always been that if you miss a few days pay because you were sick, you simply make up for it by working a few O/T shifts.
Sawmill workers also generally make a Living Wage, whereas a minimum wage worker often needs 2 or 3 full time jobs to just survive.
So the sawmill workers can generally afford a couple days off.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

stuphoto wrote: Aug 16th, 2021, 11:46 am Sawmill workers also generally make a Living Wage, whereas a minimum wage worker often needs 2 or 3 full time jobs to just survive.
So the sawmill workers can generally afford a couple days off.
Ask all the Mill workers who are out of a job because the Mills are closing.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “B.C.”