Lower voting age to 16. Give your head a shake!

tomloudon

Lower voting age to 16. Give your head a shake!

Post by tomloudon »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/34 ... -age-to-16

What goes these peoples minds that they think lowering the age is a good idea. They are children and cant make informed decisions nor are they accountable for them. Election promises that would be used to win an election "Free pizza and ice cream in the school cafeteria".
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Lower voting age to 16. Give your head a shake!

Post by OKkayak »

They'd probably do a better job than most of the adults who vote [icon_lol2.gif]
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

We have to prevent as many young voters as possible from voting. They are mostly NDP and Green and would increase the leftist vote by a lot if they're given the vote. In fact, the voting age should be raised to 21....... at least. We should remove all mention of government in high schools, even eliminating Social Studies if necessary, so kids are totally ignorant and confused about the way government works and then they won't bother voting.

The kids are our future and we need to prevent them for taking any role in it.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

tomloudon wrote: Aug 17th, 2021, 1:52 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/34 ... -age-to-16

What goes these peoples minds that they think lowering the age is a good idea. They are children and cant make informed decisions nor are they accountable for them. Election promises that would be used to win an election "Free pizza and ice cream in the school cafeteria".
Yeah. It's way better to promise their parents tax cuts and GST holidays. And no carbon tax. Only adults can make decisions and see through unfulfilible promises.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

^^^ In other words: "I'm old, and change frightens me!"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

tomloudon wrote: Aug 17th, 2021, 1:52 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/34 ... -age-to-16

Who decided 18 was a good idea?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Let the 16 year olds be kids as long as possible, They just got their drivers license and heading to pick up their favorite girl/guy.. :biggrin:
They are also soon heading into a big huge mess we created..
Let them have some fun for a couple of years at least before they start worrying about *bleep* politics.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Move everything up to 21 across Canada:
D/L
Voting
Drinking

Grandfather those already under 21, just that simple.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Funny how you can join the army at 18, and go to war, but ya can't go to the legion for a couple of beers, with your fellow comrades after a hard day of shooting people.?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

We should also limit the upper age limit.

Enough with old timers voting for everything conservative.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

OKkayak wrote: Aug 17th, 2021, 1:53 pm They'd probably do a better job than most of the adults who vote [icon_lol2.gif]
my 20 year old GD is so stupid she would not even know a election was on never mind whos running
iam voting conservative but mel arnold is no brain surgeon thats for sure but who else is worth voting for :130:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

OKkayak wrote: Aug 17th, 2021, 1:53 pm They'd probably do a better job than most of the adults who vote [icon_lol2.gif]
Agreed. Plus it might be a good way to reduce voter apathy - get them engaged while they're younger and hopefully it's a pattern that'll stick with them for life.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I have encountered some well-informed youth. They pay attention to what is going on around them. Parents who are critical thinkers, tend to raise their children to be the same. Considering the number of Canadians who chose not to vote, I imagine their offspring won't bother to vote either. Nevertheless, my vote is to keep the voting age of 18.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Andrewski
Banned

Post by Andrewski »

You're suggesting people over 18 have any idea what they're voting for. Do conservative voters even realize that O'Toole plans to dismantle the cbc?

There are just as many informed 16 year olds as there are 65 years olds. People can't even use their turn signals, you expect them to understand complex political platforms? Most voters don't even know what they're voting for.
Andrewski
Banned

Post by Andrewski »

dontrump wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 6:46 pm
my 20 year old GD is so stupid she would not even know a election was on never mind whos running
iam voting conservative but mel arnold is no brain surgeon thats for sure but who else is worth voting for :130:

So you're telling me even voters of age have worthless opinions and can still vote, why are 16 year olds any different?

Return to “North Okanagan”