Logical People

A potpourri of off-topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Logical People

Post by Bsuds »

Life is hard for logical people right now. Common sense out the window...

Examples:

Me at the Supermarket:
Why is there plastic on the payment keypad ?
Cashier: to protect people from Covid.
Me: but isn’t everyone touching the plastic keypad the same way they would the regular keypad ?
Cashier: no words. Confused look.

Me: Why Don’t you pack the grocery bags anymore ?
Cashier: Because of Covid -19 to reduce the spread of catching or spreading the virus.
Me: But a shelf packer took it out of a box and put it on the shelf, a few customers might have picked it up and put back deciding they don’t want it, I put it in my cart then on the conveyor belt, YOU pick it up
to scan it... but putting it in a bag after you scan is risky ??
Cashier: no words, confused look

Me at the drive-through
Server: (holds a tray out the window with a bag of food for a logical friend to grab)
Me: why is my bag of food on a tray?
Server: so I don’t touch your food because of Covid.
Me: didn’t the cook touch my food ? Didn’t the person wrapping my food touch it and then touch it again when placing it in my bag ? Didn’t you touch the bag and put it on the tray ? Didn’t you touch the tray ?
Server: no words. Confused look.

Me in society
Society ; If you cough or sneeze do it in your elbow or sleeve,
Also society : Don’t shake hands or hug anyone or you will spread the virus.. To greet people do an elbow tap instead.
Me : Elbow tap ? Isn't that where you tell people to sneeze or cough? into their elbow? Now you want people to tap each other with that elbow wouldn't it be safer to sneeze into elbow and shake hands like we did before Covid

Me at a restaurant:
Hostess: OK, I can seat you at this table right here (4 feet away), but I will need you to wear a mask to the table.
Me: what happens when I get to the table ?
Hostess: you can take off the mask.
Me: then it is safe over there ?
Hostess: yes.
Me: are those fans blowing above the table? Is that the air-conditioning I feel ? Is the air circulating in here ?
Hostess: no words. Confused look.

Me in society:
You are not allowed to stand and drink at the pub you have to sit down.
But at the shopping center you are not allowed to sit down, all the chairs are roped off.
Who thinks this goobedlygop up ?

Life is hard for logical people, people with commonsense, right now.
We are being raised without the ability to process and execute logic. As is in the current restrictions and way of life. You have to wonder who thinks this *bleep* up ?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
my5cents
Guru

Re: Logical People

Post by my5cents »

:up: :up: :up:

You're a fan of George Carlin, aren't you.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

You can't point it out either, or you will be the one called stupid!

The movie Idiocrasy comes to mind :biggrin:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Spock had mentioned " Your logic is not my logic"
I am not wealthy but I am rich
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Just for fun: :130:
Me at the Supermarket:
Why is there plastic on the payment keypad ?
Cashier: to protect people from Covid.
Me: but isn’t everyone touching the plastic keypad the same way they would the regular keypad ?
Cashier: no words. Confused look.
Cashier is not wrong. Plastic covers are much easier to clean and allow for the use of harsher cleaners. Reducing spread of COVID.
Me: Why Don’t you pack the grocery bags anymore ?
Cashier: Because of Covid -19 to reduce the spread of catching or spreading the virus.
Me: But a shelf packer took it out of a box and put it on the shelf, a few customers might have picked it up and put back deciding they don’t want it, I put it in my cart then on the conveyor belt, YOU pick it up
to scan it... but putting it in a bag after you scan is risky ??
Cashier: no words, confused look
1 person touching the package instead of 2 people touching reducing the chance of transmission by 50%. Just because it's not a perfect solution doesn't mean it doesn't have value.
Me at the drive-through
Server: (holds a tray out the window with a bag of food for a logical friend to grab)
Me: why is my bag of food on a tray?
Server: so I don’t touch your food because of Covid.
Me: didn’t the cook touch my food ? Didn’t the person wrapping my food touch it and then touch it again when placing it in my bag ? Didn’t you touch the bag and put it on the tray ? Didn’t you touch the tray ?
Server: no words. Confused look
Same as above. Most fast food places have moved away from different people wrapping vs assembling food. You have 1 person touching instead of 2. 50% reduction in likelihood of transmission from touching.
Me in society
Society ; If you cough or sneeze do it in your elbow or sleeve,
Also society : Don’t shake hands or hug anyone or you will spread the virus.. To greet people do an elbow tap instead.
Me : Elbow tap ? Isn't that where you tell people to sneeze or cough? into their elbow? Now you want people to tap each other with that elbow wouldn't it be safer to sneeze into elbow and shake hands like we did before Covid
Far less likely to catch covid via an elbow tap with someone who coughs/sneezes into elbow vs a handshake with someone who coughs/sneezes into their hands.

I could keep going, but I think everyone gets the point. I actually got quite a kick out of this thread because the thinking isn't logical at all. Logical people recognize that an improvement in process is still an improvement even if the process remains imperfect. Logical people recognize that improvements are valuable and support them vs taking a stance of "because this won't completely solve the problem we shouldn't bother with it at all"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

TylerM4 wrote: Aug 17th, 2021, 1:22 pm
Cashier is not wrong. Plastic covers are much easier to clean and allow for the use of harsher cleaners. Reducing spread of COVID.
Well for starters, the experts have decided that Covid-19 rarely spreads through surfaces. But putting a piece of plastic on a keypad and then not cleaning it after every customer completely negates any benefit.

You negate the silliness of, cashiers not bagging groceries, drive-through staff not handing bags containing food, because it eliminated one possible contact in a chain of ? # of people touching a product (even though surfaces aren't a big cause of spread), but think a piece of plastic on a keypad, not cleaned after every customer is reducing spread of Covid-19 ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

Well for starters, the experts have decided that Covid-19 rarely spreads through surfaces. But putting a piece of plastic on a keypad and then not cleaning it after every customer completely negates any benefit.

You negate the silliness of, cashiers not bagging groceries, drive-through staff not handing bags containing food, because it eliminated one possible contact in a chain of ? # of people touching a product (even though surfaces aren't a big cause of spread), but think a piece of plastic on a keypad, not cleaned after every customer is reducing spread of Covid-19 ?

:up:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

my5cents wrote: Aug 17th, 2021, 1:44 pm

The chain of contacts in the few days leading up to the customer purchase is what - 4 people? Removing one contact is a 25% improvement. I'd call that substantial.

The whole reason for the plastic piece is to allow for more frequent and thorough cleaning. Over the period of the pandemic I visited many businesses that wiped down the machine after every use. But regardless, it's not just "the last person who touched it" that you need to worry about and anything that enables quicker, more frequent, and better cleaning is obviously going to help. If this change means it gets wiped 4x a day vs never, that's still an improvement. It's a 20cent clear sticker that takes seconds to apply - even if it's only a small improvement it's a logical precaution to take.

Stores not cleaning is a whole different topic - if you review the original post you'll see that there was no claim it wasn't being cleaned. Just "used like before"

So what is your logic on this then? What I'm reading is: "It's only worth doing if it results in a large improvement?" and "Even if it only costs 20 cents and a few seconds to apply, it's not worth it unless you're guaranteed it'll be very effective." Is that indeed your position?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Frequent use of hand sanitizer or washing ones hands regularly works... stop touching your damn face so much.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Here's my logic:

When it comes to a risk to human lives, the economy of a country, and people's livelihoods. Any steps we can take that reduce the risk without having a significant negative impact (sorry, having to bag your own groceries isn't a significant negative impact in my book) should be taken regardless of how effective they may be.

Am I wrong? If not - please share how what's posted above does not apply to the examples shared by the OP.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

TylerM4 wrote: Aug 17th, 2021, 3:04 pm The chain of contacts in the few days leading up to the customer purchase is what - 4 people? Removing one contact is a 25% improvement. I'd call that substantial.
Ironically this topic was logic...

Spreading Covid-19 by contact is not frequent or of great threat, apparently. So 25% of slim is "substantial" ?

Logic dictates, if you want to curb Covid-19 vaccinations, N95 masks, vaccine passports for events.

If your so worried about touch transmission, hand sanitizer at store EXITS.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

my5cents wrote: Aug 17th, 2021, 3:52 pm Spreading Covid-19 by contact is not frequent or of great threat, apparently. So 25% of slim is "substantial" ?

Logic dictates, if you want to curb Covid-19 vaccinations, N95 masks, vaccine passports for events.

If your so worried about touch transmission, hand sanitizer at store EXITS.
Again I ask - If there's little downside to doing it - why not? Is packing your own groceries that big of a deal?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

TylerM4 wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 9:57 am Again I ask - If there's little downside to doing it - why not? Is packing your own groceries that big of a deal?
The issue brought up by the OP was the absurdity of certain efforts weighed with their benefits. Packing or not packing isn't the topic or the issue.

Perhaps you're running out of things to argue about.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

my5cents wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 10:58 am The issue brought up by the OP was the absurdity of certain efforts weighed with their benefits. Packing or not packing isn't the topic or the issue.

Perhaps you're running out of things to argue about.
I'm not running out, I keep having to ask the same basic question as nobody seems to have a logical answer:

Again I ask: If there's little downside to doing it - why not?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

People can touch things all they want, it only becomes a personal issue (via transmission) when this person touches their face i.e nose, mouth or eyes. The 3 entry points of any thing contagious.

Clean hands regularly with hand sanitizer or by washing them before touching your face.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Grab Bag”