Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

69cutlass
Board Meister
Posts: 608
Joined: Jul 5th, 2006, 10:27 am

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by 69cutlass »

Don't understand the push for this. The ndp want a ubi anyways so they will just be paying people to stay at home anyways.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51194
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Bsuds »

It can be very difficult for someone on an hourly wage to stay home when sick. So they go to work and make other people ill as well.

So what's better for the employer, 1 sick worker off or several who can't do a good job because they are working while sick?

I know there are some who will take advantage so what's the best answer?
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
User avatar
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11433
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by dirtybiker »

Gee, guess I come from different blood. I work sick, I work hurt,
I work because I like the option of a meal at the end of the day.
I work because living out of a shopping cart is not very appealing.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2034
Joined: Oct 14th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Boosted632 »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 6:50 am It can be very difficult for someone on an hourly wage to stay home when sick. So they go to work and make other people ill as well.

So what's better for the employer, 1 sick worker off or several who can't do a good job because they are working while sick?

I know there are some who will take advantage so what's the best answer?
That's.where saving some money for a rainy day comes to mind its not your employees responsibility to pay you to sit at home with a runny nose, or more accurately pay you to go skiing on a good powder day.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 27747
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by the truth »

dirtybiker wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 6:53 am Gee, guess I come from different blood. I work sick, I work hurt,
I work because I like the option of a meal at the end of the day.
I work because living out of a shopping cart is not very appealing.
exactly,same here.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51194
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Bsuds »

dirtybiker wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 6:53 am Gee, guess I come from different blood. I work sick, I work hurt,
I work because I like the option of a meal at the end of the day.
I work because living out of a shopping cart is not very appealing.
I'm the same but some will work when really sick because they have to. Min wage and barely making it between paychecks.
I don't think it's the best thing for them to spread sickness to the other workers or the public if they wouldn't have too.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
Sparki55
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4566
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Sparki55 »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 7:56 am I don't think it's the best thing for them to spread sickness to the other workers or the public if they wouldn't have too.
If someone can't save $600 to have a "sick" fund then they don't deserve to have sick days. It's only $23 a pay check to save up in a year, and continue to top it up so there's more as you age. If it gets over $2000, start investing portions of it in ETFs or mutual funds.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51194
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Bsuds »

Sparki55 wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 8:28 am
Bsuds wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 7:56 am I don't think it's the best thing for them to spread sickness to the other workers or the public if they wouldn't have too.
If someone can't save $600 to have a "sick" fund then they don't deserve to have sick days. It's only $23 a pay check to save up in a year, and continue to top it up so there's more as you age. If it gets over $2000, start investing portions of it in ETFs or mutual funds.
You have obviously never been in that situation where you have "no" extra money between paychecks and a family to support or even just yourself. It can be very difficult.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
Sparki55
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4566
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Sparki55 »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 8:33 am
Sparki55 wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 8:28 am

If someone can't save $600 to have a "sick" fund then they don't deserve to have sick days. It's only $23 a pay check to save up in a year, and continue to top it up so there's more as you age. If it gets over $2000, start investing portions of it in ETFs or mutual funds.
You have obviously never been in that situation where you have "no" extra money between paychecks and a family to support or even just yourself. It can be very difficult.
I've been tight on money before but without the family to support. As for running out, I never let it happen while working a job. Bad circumstances do happen and funding should be available for families in tight spots. I don't think that help should come from employers having to pay mandatory sick days.

Think of a sprinkler irrigation company with 10 employees that fix sprinklers. If they aren't at clients' homes fixing sprinklers the company doesn't make any money. Most will make around $25 to $30 an hour, or $220 a day. So this will cost this employer an extra $11,000 on the bottom line, and lost revenue since the clients will need to be canceled. Typically that work is billed between $65 and $85 an hour plus marked-up part sales, so would be around $20,000 lost revenue. Total cost to small business of 10 employees: $31,000 for the year, potentially a third of the owner's income.

This cost will be passed on to customers. So at the end of the day, everything gets more expensive again...
User avatar
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 900
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 9:19 am

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Jim Dixon »

If I remember what the Prime Minister said, he said it was 10 days paid sick leave for "federally regulated employees". In other words, it's for government employees only. Read his small print. Sep.06/20221 15:32
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 32536
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by GordonH »

Jim Dixon wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 3:23 pm If I remember what the Prime Minister said, he said it was 10 days paid sick leave for "federally regulated employees". In other words, it's for government employees only. Read his small print. Sep.06/20221 15:32
This sick leave was put forward by John Horgan government not jt.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
User avatar
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 900
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 9:19 am

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Jim Dixon »

GordonH wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 3:33 pm
Jim Dixon wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 3:23 pm If I remember what the Prime Minister said, he said it was 10 days paid sick leave for "federally regulated employees". In other words, it's for government employees only. Read his small print. Sep.06/20221 15:32
This sick leave was put forward by John Horgan government not jt.
Justin Trudeau says a re-elected Liberal government would introduce 10 days of paid sick leave for federally regulated workers.

I guess they're all out using our money to buy our votes. Where was all of these "promises" last year or year ago? Have elections become a medium to promise what they should have done a year or more ago?
My vote is for whomever promises not to make promises and will just do their job that we pay them to do.
Do you remember when they decided they were no longer "public servants" and renamed themselves as 'government authorities'?

Government needs a reboot - right out the door. IMO.
-J
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 32536
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by GordonH »

Jim Dixon wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 3:56 pm
GordonH wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 3:33 pm

This sick leave was put forward by John Horgan government not jt.
Justin Trudeau says a re-elected Liberal government would introduce 10 days of paid sick leave for federally regulated workers.

I guess they're all out using our money to buy our votes. Where was all of these "promises" last year or year ago? Have elections become a medium to promise what they should have done a year or more ago?
My vote is for whomever promises not to make promises and will just do their job that we pay them to do.
Do you remember when they decided they were no longer "public servants" and renamed themselves as 'government authorities'?

Government needs a reboot - right out the door. IMO.
-J
This thread is about Provincial sick leave.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Nedroj
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 801
Joined: Apr 10th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Nedroj »

Every single job I have worked at over the last 20+ years, all have provided 3-5 days of paid sick leave each year.
These are private-sector jobs ranging from small Land Surveying offices to large civil engineering firms.

I don't think this needs to be mandated by the government. People make changes happen with their actions. If a company struggles to find and keep employees then they need to up their benefits and incentives such as offering paid sick leave. But that should be up to the free market to decide.





Something to note: Most government sector jobs have 2 weeks of paid sick time and it rolls over to the next year if they dont use it. Im sure most of us know people that can attest to this. This is unheard of in the private sector.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Sparki55
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4566
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Sparki55 »

Nedroj wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 8:38 am Something to note: Most government sector jobs have 2 weeks of paid sick time and it rolls over to the next year if they dont use it. Im sure most of us know people that can attest to this. This is unheard of in the private sector.
Yep!

I knew a guy who retired from the city of Poco at 55 years old, worked there for 27 years. When he retired they gave him his remaining sick days, 6 months' worth...

Return to “B.C.”