Maryam Monsef called the Taliban "brothers."

gswaters

Maryam Monsef called the Taliban "brothers."

Post by gswaters »

Liberal Minister Maryam Monsef has referred to male members of the Taliban as "brothers."

I have no problem accepting that it is culturally appropriate and normal that Muslim men and women refer to each other as brother and sister, respectively.

But suggesting that the members of the Taliban are "Muslim" is a bit like suggesting that members of the KKK are "Christian."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Maryam Monsef called the Taliban "brothers."

Post by GordonH »

gswaters wrote: Aug 26th, 2021, 4:51 am Liberal Minister Maryam Monsef has referred to male members of the Taliban as "brothers."

I have no problem accepting that it is culturally appropriate and normal that Muslim men and women refer to each other as brother and sister, respectively.

But suggesting that the members of the Taliban are "Muslim" is a bit like suggesting that members of the KKK are "Christian."
Taliban has taken the Quran and used & twisted it to fit their own male dominated BS... along with many other twisted ideologies.

Afghanistan is going to be screwed up for the foreseeable future, it may need to take an actual civil war... even then who knows.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

GordonH wrote: Aug 26th, 2021, 9:33 am

Afghanistan is going to be screwed up for the foreseeable future, it may need to take an actual civil war... even then who knows.
Afghanistan has been in a tribal civil war for centuries.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Aug 26th, 2021, 10:25 am
GordonH wrote: Aug 26th, 2021, 9:33 am

Afghanistan has been in a tribal civil war for centuries.
Except when outsiders come in... then they stop their tribal war and point all their weapons on the outsider. The Soviets learned this after 10 years, it taken 20 years for US to learn.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

GordonH wrote: Aug 26th, 2021, 1:28 pm
Except when outsiders come in... then they stop their tribal war and point all their weapons on the outsider. The Soviets learned this after 10 years, it taken 20 years for US to learn.
As far as I saw, mostly from reading a lot on the subject, and watching movies like Paul Gross' "Hyena Road" (worth watching I would say) the approach of the Allies was a lot different than the Russians. The Russians went in with an "obey or die" kind of approach, while the Allies were more about investing in local communities and teaching basic skills, without forcing communism down all of their throats. The problem was the inherent corruption, like almost all third world countries. Not much of the actual money being spent ended up helping any Afghanis. It all got syphoned off by guys like Hamid Kharzi. Another good movie to watch is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - a Tina Fey movie. Well worth the time.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Aug 26th, 2021, 1:45 pm
GordonH wrote: Aug 26th, 2021, 1:28 pm
As far as I saw, mostly from reading a lot on the subject, and watching movies like Paul Gross' "Hyena Road" (worth watching I would say) the approach of the Allies was a lot different than the Russians. The Russians went in with an "obey or die" kind of approach, while the Allies were more about investing in local communities and teaching basic skills, without forcing communism down all of their throats. The problem was the inherent corruption, like almost all third world countries. Not much of the actual money being spent ended up helping any Afghanis. It all got syphoned off by guys like Hamid Kharzi. Another good movie to watch is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - a Tina Fey movie. Well worth the time.
From GW to current Oval Office occupant... Afghanistan isn’t any further ahead. Or have I missed something.

US was chased out Vietnam (left it in a mess), left Iraq a mess... now Afghanistan. There track record isn’t any damn good.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

On the subject of Monsef, next time she opens her mouth she should learn who her audience is.
Here in Canada we don't refer to murderers and rapists as brothers.
You're in a civilized country now Monsef, act civilized.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Someone on this forum stated that they heard Muslims using the term brother quite often when referring to each other.

Seems Ms. Monsef should have checked out the usage of that term along with our fellow board member.
https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... 1629925750

As a Canadian who moved to this country as an Afghan refugee, I want to be very clear, there is no cultural context in which calling the Taliban “brothers” is acceptable. Words carry meaning, and meanings imply moral positions.
To call someone “brother” in Afghan culture is to recognize a mutual deep respect for them. It’s an endearing term to recognize a male friend as more than a friend, someone you’d take a bullet for. It is to validate the essence of that person and acknowledge the principles by which they live. The people of Afghanistan do not call the Taliban their “brothers” unless it is the Taliban themselves. To address a terrorist group — one that beheads Hazaras, Shia-Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus and many other minority groups — as your “brother” is to turn a blind eye on decades of war crimes committed by the Taliban.

Who are we to criticize Monsef, maybe she would take a bullet for the Taliban.

Zahra Sultani is a native of Afghanistan and Senior Consultant at Loyalist Public Affairs.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
roseridge
Board Meister

Post by roseridge »

gswaters wrote: Aug 26th, 2021, 4:51 am Liberal Minister Maryam Monsef has referred to male members of the Taliban as "brothers."

Wow. Just wow! Political suicide at its finest. It will be an easy win for Michelle Ferreri - the conservative candidate in that riding. She has amazing credentials to beat out the incumbent. https://www.michelleferreri.com.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Looks like trudeau fired her female chief of staff yesterday. Why not both of them?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Taliban doesn’t treat women very well Maryam Monsef especially those in the public eye as yourself.

Bare feet and pregnant at home is how Taliban want and expect women to be, oh yes totally uneducated as well.

Anyone believing BS coming out of Taliban on changing their ways is an idiot.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

featfan wrote: Aug 29th, 2021, 10:39 am Looks like trudeau fired her female chief of staff yesterday. Why not both of them?
Justin likes to fire female government employees.

He gets his jollies from pushing women around and showing them who's the boss.

It's not surprising that he chose some innocent woman to sacrifice in an attempt to hide his admiration of the Taliban.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Canada”