Strictly Woodwork

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Strictly Woodwork

Post by alanjh595 »

GREAT to hear from you again. I have copied and pasted your suggestions to a word document for consideration after I create the legs.
There are some natural voids and cracks that I need to fill before the final finish stage. I wish I had a buffer,,,,,,
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

What do you use for filling cracks?

In the past I used a two part epoxy mixed with fine sawdust then just went to fiberglass resin with a bit of sawdust.
Tape the bottom so it does not run out. ( I had expensive puddles on the floor)

PS, go for matching pedestals :130:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Both of those suggestions are exactly what I was thinking about using.

I am thinking about using black for the filler to highlight the natural voids.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Cool to find this topic:
In the past couple of years have built a panel saw, using linear rails it will rip but is best at cross cutting, last time I checked it it was within a 32nd in 4 ft. It will take a router for dadoes but takes a while to set up.
Yesterday cut half a dozen tennons on my 3 axis mortising machine for a roof over the new deck, built the mortising mach based on the JDS mortiser, could not cut the mortises on the 10 ft 4X4 posts just do not have the room in the shop, so had to sharpen up my chisel. The mortiser cuts box joint in a flash.
Did manage to sand the 10 ft 4x4s on my sander built out of a discarded treadmill with a 10ft by 2 ft belt, it was hard holding on to the posts, lot of friction, and had to upend the posts since it would only do about 4ft 6" at a time.
Built all the kitchen cabinets for the house last winter and am looking forward to getting back into the shop once it is too cold to work on the outside of the house.
No pics, this geezer is not savvy enough to do pics with my phone & put em here, plus which my shop always looks as if a bomb exploded.
Quenie if you read this, come by & we will give you the gt.
Its safe we vaxxed.
We're lost but we're making good time.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Great stuff .
I Think wrote: Sep 18th, 2021, 10:34 pm plus which my shop always looks as if a bomb exploded.
But, you know where everything is, contrary to what the partner might think :130:

I have a nice 22X 32 shop with plenty of tools in it but for the past several years now retired I've been tackling bigger outside jobs. Also have a storage container 1/2 filled with mostly fir. Unlike some here, my skill set is rough but hoping with more practice I can tighten that up. I'd like to try some mortice and tenoning next year, replace the kitchen cabinet doors perhaps. I do have a panel router bit for cabinet doors somewhere, maybe try that as well.
Hope to spend a bit more time in there this winter, have to get the gas heater hooked up as well, electric heat fans are too expensive. ( but tell that to the enviro nuts that seem to insist we should stop using gas and all use sustainable electricity :-X )
posting pics are not that difficult after you have done it a few times.. :D
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

"my skill set is rough but hoping with more practice I can tighten that up."

My hand eye co-ordination has never been all that good, so build machines and fixtures to compensate.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I just completed a special request from one of my neighbours.

Capture.JPG
It is his design for a board with edges on 3 sides only, for making pie crusts and keeping the flour from going all over the place. The peel was a bonus.

The board is solid White Oak, trimmed in Hard maple, the peel is solid maple 1/4" thick and shaved down to a sharp edge.
Board is 18" X 21".
Both are coated in 4 coats of food grade mineral oil.

This "old" (older than me), walks his dog (Waldo) every day in front of my house, and when Waldo gets close, he drags his dad to my door to get his morning scratch and doggie massage ......and most days (when I have a small, "unseasoned, piece of meat"..... a small snack/treat.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Looks good, Nice work. Yesterday glued up a couple of charcouterie boards, xmas gifts for the daughters, ran them through the planer this morning and put one of them on the big sander. Spent the rest of the morning chopping out some mortises for my deck roof supports.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

alanjh595 wrote: Sep 19th, 2021, 2:08 pm This "old" (older than me), walks his dog (Waldo) every day in front of my house, and when Waldo gets close, he drags his dad to my door to get his morning scratch and doggie massage ......and most days (when I have a small, "unseasoned, piece of meat"..... a small snack/treat.
Doggos are such frauds, they come across sometimes like they never get attention at home.. :up:

Your work looks amazing Alan. love it. I have some hardwood kicking about so maybe I'll have a go at something like this.
I must say my banana holder is still holing up..
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Not the best of pics, and do not know if it will come through. Not sure if I will put doors on the upper, will make them shaker style same as drawers below.
The scaffold out through the window is now on the front deck while we build a roof over the deck. First cabinets in at least 45 years.

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/mailb ... MailNorrin
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I Think wrote: Sep 23rd, 2021, 6:58 pm Not the best of pics, and do not know if it will come through. Not sure if I will put doors on the upper, will make them shaker style same as drawers below.
The scaffold out through the window is now on the front deck while we build a roof over the deck. First cabinets in at least 45 years.

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/mailb ... MailNorrin
Link doesn't work
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

One day I will figure out how to get pics in here, the link works if I push it but it isn't a good pic anyway.
My Cannon digital got left out in a torrential rain storm by a friend & hasn't been feeling well since then.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I Think wrote: Sep 25th, 2021, 4:26 pm One day I will figure out how to get pics in here, the link works if I push it but it isn't a good pic anyway.
My Cannon digital got left out in a torrential rain storm by a friend & hasn't been feeling well since then.
Use a program like Fotosizer to make them smaller so Castanet will accept them. Direct from your camera is too big a file.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

1st attempt at a walking stick from some twisted willow I had cluttering up the shop.
first-attempt-at-a-walking-sti.jpg
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

this would make me smile, wish I could do woodworking
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Creative Endeavours”