Vernon should "co-habitate with the geese"

outtawind
Fledgling

Vernon should "co-habitate with the geese"

Post by outtawind »

Oh my, this is a laugher...

"Culling will just create a vacuum for more geese to take their place, and they will end up in an annual cycle of complaints and more killing. The city has an opportunity to show other municipalities in B.C. how to cohabitate with geese. With a bit of effort, Vernon residents can enjoy long-term benefits and council won't have to get their hands bloodied. We are prepared to help."

"It is gut-wrenching to think that these iconic birds will be rounded up with their families when they are most vulnerable and killed in front of each other for hours," said Reichert.

This particular flock was introduced, they are not native. They are expanding un-checked in the habitat and damaging the environment needed by the native species... to the point that they have even begun nesting atop the osprey-nesting pole at a local park.

This is no different than the cities rat problem. Suppose we also need to learn to "cohabitate" with the rats? The geese are adopting urban behavior - this is not humane to watch them try to nest atop houses, RV's, vehicles, boats. The cruelty in allowing this to continue is disgusting. How humane is it that the goslings die trying to leave the nest onto roadways, on hot roofs etc.

Vain attempt to provoke an emotional connection with their "iconic birds killed in front of their families for hours".. what a nonsensical fictitious statement - nice writing, but painting lies and promoting BS.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/33 ... goose-cull
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Re: Vernon should "co-habitate with the geese"

Post by common_sense_guy »

Was it one of the castanets " journalists" that wrote that? If so which one? I like to shoot them off an email telling them everything wrong about their story. I'm sure they're getting sick of hearing of my constant critiquing of their so-called work. But then again they wouldn't have to keep hearing from me if they would just write with some integrity and non bias
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

common_sense_guy wrote:Was it one of the castanets " journalists" that wrote that? If so which one? I like to shoot them off an email telling them everything wrong about their story. I'm sure they're getting sick of hearing of my constant critiquing of their so-called work. But then again they wouldn't have to keep hearing from me if they would just write with some integrity and non bias
It says who wrote the article and who is opposing the cull. Helps to read the actual story.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Read the story? Nobody needs to do that. Minds are already made up without getting facts. It's just common sense.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Really?? Local governments can't figure this out??

:135:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the ... -1.5196135
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Terris wrote: Jul 18th, 2021, 8:22 am Really?? Local governments can't figure this out??
It's the federal government that didn't get the permits done in time from what I understand.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Can't say I agree with this tactic (kill to scare) considering geese mate for life so kill two to get rid of all?
"Kill to scare" tactics target the 'dominant' social goose in the flock, to scare off the rest of the birds.

"The Canadian Wildlife Service says that a 'kill to scare' approach will not significantly reduce goose numbers. It’s clear this new proposal from Vernon lacks a basic understanding of goose behaviour and socialization," says AAC director and bird expert Barry Kent MacKay.

Earlier this year, the city applied to the federal government to conduct a goose cull, but was told there would not be time to process the application this year.

"There is no 'dominant' goose in a flock for them to target," says the alliance's Jordan Reichert. "They take turns being the leader when they fly to conserve energy, but on the ground, there is no leader to identify in their general socialization patterns. If this is the premise of the city’s kill to scare program, there is no evidence to support it."
https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/34 ... ail#340770
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Why? Geese provide no benefit to our society, neighborhoods, parks, and public lands except beyond some esthetic quality if they are on our quarters. Who can say.

They are lazy opportunistic creatures that proliferate because of the abundant food sources and no predators we provide for them. Many don't migrate any longer.

Seriously, you don’t think eating grass in a park is safer than wild grass on the side of the highway or in a meadow? Or that they know this? No, they are prolific and mess every park and grassy area with their excrement. No kids can roll and tumble or even walk in bare feet on the grass in parks geese "co-habitate".

Or the beach, (Kin) for what? So, a gaggle of geese can have at it? Why do you think people don’t use the parks in the first place? Gross. It’s not like there isn’t other food for them and they will find it should consistent deterrents be used. It's been shown in many prairie towns. And $400 per goose? I hope people get to eat them at least. I am sure there are many local hungry bellies who would appreciate it.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Lived near Coldstream area beach and saw thousands of them congregating there in “off” season. The mess they left was positively filthy with their droppings and feathers.

No way would I swim there. Even the thought if it makes me itch. :-X
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Gimmee 400.00

I will do them all in. Everyone eats for free

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

So... do those dimwits out of Toronto saying we need to "cohabitate" with the geese...

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... nes#368765

Directly due to geese overpopulation - as said LAST YEAR in my posts... they are nesting in unusual places such as in the osprey nests... ospreys are then trying to build new nests. Has been the cause of multiple (like 5-10) power outages for lake country this year.

Ridiculous - the geese are totally out of control around here - and some meatball from a PETA like group in Toronto makes their oblivious statements.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Tell me about it!

In downtown Vernon these geese fecal poppers even sit on apartment block roofs, gather and poop simultaneously. Add that to the the very BOLD pigeon populations doing the same, as well as looking for nesting spots.

I feel I should be entitled to a free shotgun, or a slingshot at the very least.

Unknown
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Catsumi wrote: May 12th, 2022, 5:57 pm Tell me about it!

In downtown Vernon these geese fecal poppers even sit on apartment block roofs, gather and poop simultaneously. Add that to the the very BOLD pigeon populations doing the same, as well as looking for nesting spots.

I feel I should be entitled to a free shotgun, or a slingshot at the very least.
i feel same about humans
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

281956974_5135662866480703_3580454713869025976_n.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

seriously i think this about this problem. when the geese are nesting we have to put up with it as messing with that to me is animal abuse, now the other times i think with in reason there is a need to remove or cull , but at same time we should be happy to have them . for there to be balance there first needs to be equal respect.
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .

Return to “North Okanagan”