In a Quandry... Vote or Not

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: In a Quandry... Vote or Not

Post by fluffy »

I hope I'd never be of the mind that my vote didn't count for something. Even in an elections such as we are currently faced with, where neither of the national front-runners are particularly attractive, there are still options. This time I will vote from a long term perspective. I have said many times that the real problems facing us right now have been fifty years in the making and certainly aren't going to be cured in one election. If I can vote to keep us moving in what I believe to be the right direction then I'm okay with that.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

fluffy wrote: This time I will vote from a long term perspective. I have said many times that the real problems facing us right now have been fifty years in the making and certainly aren't going to be cured in one election. If I can vote to keep us moving in what I believe to be the right direction then I'm okay with that.
Good strategy as well, I think. Despite Trudeau's ethical gaffes the Conservatives hold no ethical or moral high ground, and we have little reason to believe their ideological perspective that benefits to corporations and the wealthy will somehow someday benefit the middle and lower class has changed. They are campaigning on “growing the economy” and I think anyone who is concerned about climate or environment should consider carefully just how the Conservatives would go about doing that. I am hoping and voting for a strong opposition as that may be more important then ever. Not voting never an option.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

As I see it, the very best outcome for this election would be a Liberal minority.

A big, complete, waste of time, AND MONEY, but it would give time for parties to reconsider their leaders and platforms.

Especially the Liberals.
Last edited by my5cents on Sep 1st, 2021, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

my5cents wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 11:07 am As I see it, the very best outcome for this election would be a Liberal minority.
Me too, that and significant improvement for the NDP which would send a clear message to the Libs and the Cons that real change is the order of the day, not vague promises and toothless policies.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

fluffy wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 11:19 am
my5cents wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 11:07 am As I see it, the very best outcome for this election would be a Liberal minority.
Me too, that and significant improvement for the NDP would send a clear message to the Libs and the Cons that real change is the order of the day, not vague promises and toothless policies.
I'd much rather a conservative minority. This means they have to work with one other party that is completely opposite to them in order to get anything passed. kind of a best of both worlds if only they can get along.

Unlike a Liberal minority whose views align more with NDP and both widely left-leaning which doesn't represent all Canadians.

If we're being completely honest we need all three major parties in charge running this country. But without their clueless leaders and over-inflated salaries.

We need the conservatives because they are generally fiscally responsible, where the NDP and Liberals are not at all.
We need the NDP because they keep the conservative's social progressiveness up to date and
We need the Liberals because they are the middle ground between the two opposite parties.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

You don't have to go back too far and see the party battles for the leadership title.........they all had bigger names most of whom had been in politics for years. What we get now is an age group entering politics who see no reason to have the headache of the leadership role........just sit back in a lowly position and do as little as possible once elected then pray for a second term for the pension.

There was a Federal Conservative by the name of Shelly Glover in Winnipeg who out of the blue decided to run a dozen years ago or so........and won. This woman sat on her :cuss: and did NOTHING for her voters........she did plenty for herself over her two terms though. AND as predicted by EVERYONE with the City of Winnipeg Police (where she was employed and not liked) she announced she was not running for a third term.......PENSION SECURED!!! She has to support those 5 leaches of children from at least THREE different fathers I guess.

This is what we get today........self-serving with personal agendas and ZERO credentials. Although reading comments here on Castanet where some cannot heap enough praise on the likes of Trudeau and the bulk of his MP's, it looks like Trudeau found some leftover Jimmy Jones cool-aid for his believers........
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 1st, 2021, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spell correction
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Septuagenarian wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 12:11 pm

But if they don't get along there will simply be another election.

I disagree. I think we will see federally what occurred in BC, if the Conservatives win a minority you will instantly see Jagmeet go right back into lap dog mode and partner with Justin to prop up that government instead of trying to be their own party.

That's my bet at least.

The only way I imagine that not happening is if the Bloq get enough and partner with the cons. NDP never will, it'll be like Weaver in BC, might say they will work with whoever but we have already seen how voting for NDP turn out......he's been in Justins pocket for some time now.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Veovis wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 1:01 pm if the Bloq get enough and partner with the cons.
I doubt you will ever see that happening.
Mr. Blanchet has said that Mr. O’Toole's positions on climate change, health transfers and child care issues are not compatible with the interests of Quebec.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

PoplarSoul wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 1:14 pm
Mr. Blanchet has said that Mr. O’Toole's positions on climate change, health transfers and child care issues are not compatible with the interests of Quebec.
Man-made climate change? What's the position that Yves would prefer? Higher taxes on poor people?

Seriously though, speculating on who will partner with whom right now is a fool's game. No one knows how many seats the CPC are going to win, or if they'll even need the pipeline hating welfare-sucking Bloc-heads.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

PoplarSoul wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 1:14 pm
Veovis wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 1:01 pm if the Bloq get enough and partner with the cons.

Quite possible but we know the Liberals won't try to work with the Cons, the NDP certainly won't (even should they say they will we know better) so that leaves MAYBE the bloq.

Septuagenarian wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 2:04 pm
To prop up a 'Liberal' government over a Conservative minority? Is that what you're saying?
Jagmeet has been very obedient to Justin so far and I don't see that changing any time soon. I think he and Justin already see the outcome and how they can maintain power after, he's just currently likeable and Justin isn't but people forget he has been Justin's yes man for some time now.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If in doubt, vote for the hottest candidate.

If there are no hot candidates, then they better have at least 379,000 followers on YouTube and they better be making videos in French and English.

Okay, here is a guy that deserves a vote, although, he's running against Marc Garneau in a Quebec riding, so probably wont win.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Veovis wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 1:01 pmI disagree. I think we will see federally what occurred in BC, if the Conservatives win a minority you will instantly see Jagmeet go right back into lap dog mode and partner with Justin to prop up that government instead of trying to be their own party.
If the CPC wins a majority the NDP will be in a good position to force some concessions out of the Liberals, which could go a long way into integrating some NDP policy into the governing party. I think Mr. Singh is a lot smarter than Trudeau, he'll make sure he gets a decent chunk of cooperation.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Septuagenarian wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 6:48 am
vegas1500 wrote: Aug 31st, 2021, 9:55 pm There is only one person to vote for if you want Trudeau gone……he may not be the best but he’s better, and has some good people around him.
Trudeau's the reason we're having this election, and if he wins a majority then 'better' won't count in any way shape or form.
Let’s be clear: the only reason we’re having this election is first-past-the-post

https://www.fairvote.ca/2021/08/15/fptppowergrab/

Who thinks a snap election in the middle of a pandemic is a good idea?

Canadian politicians sure do.

Today’s announcement of a federal election – a full two years ahead of schedule – is the third snap election since the beginning of the pandemic.

John Horgan’s BC NDP and Blaine Higgs New Brunswick PC’s also pulled the plug on their minority governments, despite other parties in their legislatures pleading with them to keep working across party lines instead.

<snip>

Trudeau – testing out his talking points for the snap election – recently lamented that Parliament had become “toxic”.

Ironically, that same word was uttered by MPs on their way out the door, such as Conservative MP Bruce Stanton and Independent MP Jody Wilson-Raybould.

The increase in mindless, destructive hyper-partisanship has been noted by countless MPs in recent years.

<snip>

We have issues in Canada that one party alone can’t solve.

The solution to the “toxic” culture in Parliament?

For Trudeau, it’s a snap election. To secure a government where he doesn’t have to compromise with anyone.

There’s no doubt: This election is a first-past-the-post power grab.
The solution for all can be found at Fair Vote Canada.
https://www.fairvote.ca/
Think you misunderstood me…….
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Glacier wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 3:52 pm If in doubt, vote for the hottest candidate.

If there are no hot candidates, then they better have at least 379,000 followers on YouTube and they better be making videos in French and English.

Okay, here is a guy that deserves a vote, although, he's running against Marc Garneau in a Quebec riding, so probably wont win.

I'd love to vote for this guy. I've been a subscriber to his youtube channel for a couple of years now. Always good content, he knows what he is talking about and is very likable. I dont think we have a PPC candidate here in the central Okanagan though?
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

fluffy wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 3:54 pm I think Mr. Singh is a lot smarter than Trudeau,
Pretty bold statement, really going out on a limb there.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”