End the lockdown

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
BC Landlord
Guru

Re: End the lockdown

Post by BC Landlord »

spooker wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 9:29 am What "basic services" are being blocked? You seem to be jumping ahead to a William Gibson-esque dystopian future to inflate the issue ...
When you have your government (Horgan) with a stroke of a pen deciding which services you can or cannot access, and in the same breath threatening you with police for not complying, ... that in my books raises some big red flags.

People from the Left don't seem to be overly concerned about other people's freedoms, but make no mistake, if left unchecked, eventually that same government which they put so much trust in, will come after their own freedoms. Then, it's too late.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

BC Landlord wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 9:10 am
fluffy wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:55 am Cigarettes are an excellent example. We had no problem placing major restrictions on where smokers could indulge as soon as it was discovered to be a risk to others.
Not even close. A smoker can put out a cigarette before going into a restaurant and light up again on his way out. You realize we are talking here about MANDATORY vaccinations and producing a proof therein (vaxports) to access basic services. Huge difference. So, unlike your smoker analogy, a person without such a proof would NEVER be allowed to get into a restaurant, grocery store, and God knows what other place some wannabe dictator decides it is required.
Vaccine passports aren't being required for grocery stores or any other essential service. Not being able to enter a restaurant is an inconvenience, not a loss of freedom. Eating in a restaurant is not a human right. And you will also have options for curbside pickup or delivery if you don't feel like cooking.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 9:53 am
spooker wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 9:29 am What "basic services" are being blocked? You seem to be jumping ahead to a William Gibson-esque dystopian future to inflate the issue ...
When you have your government (Horgan) with a stroke of a pen deciding which services you can or cannot access, and in the same breath threatening you with police for not complying, ... that in my books raises some big red flags.

People from the Left don't seem to be overly concerned about other people's freedoms, but make no mistake, if left unchecked, eventually that same government which they put so much trust in, will come after their own freedoms. Then, it's too late.
Based on what I am seeing across Canada it doesn’t matter left or right (with exception of Alberta). Conservative provinces of Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario are also doing Vax passports.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Hurtlander wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 6:55 am The government mandating that all government employees and all healthcare workers be fully vaccinated for Covid is eventually going to eventually cost the government (we the taxpayers) $Millions, possibly even $Billions once the Supreme Court of Canada rules that forcing Canadians to put something in their bodies, against their will, is a complete violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms... The government is going to be sued big time...... This is why one of the guys running to be PM is refusing to make Covid vaccines mandatory, because it’s illegal to do so... Note; I’m not arguing the pro’s and con’s of the Covid vaccines, just the legality of locking people out of non-essential services if they aren’t vaccinated, or forcing government regulated employees to be vaccinated.
Same goes for the government forcing mandatory three day hotel quarantine at their own expense on Canadian citizens returning from abroad up until recently, the SCoC will definitely rule against the government.
You're missing a key point, maybe THE key point. Nobody is being forced to get vaccinated. There is a difference between telling someone to report to a vaccine center and take the jab or face arrest or confinement (same thing I guess) versus saying that if you want to work here or participate in this, you must be vaccinated. That is not "forcing" anyone. Their choice is their choice.

I know that the following has been overdone but it is a relevant example. If you want to drive a car, you must be licensed. If you want to shop here, you must be a member. If you want to be a police officer, you must be able to pass the exams. If you want to enter this establishment, you must produce identification. If you want to golf here, you must be a member.

There are countless restrictions we all face everyday for really very frivolous activities but for those who want to participate in them, they must follow the rules.

Nobody is forcing them, it is their choice.

You can't complain about not being able to golf at the country club because you won't buy a membership.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

JLives wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 9:56 am Vaccine passports aren't being required for grocery stores or any other essential service. Not being able to enter a restaurant is an inconvenience, not a loss of freedom.
So, ... where is the line in between "inconvenience" and "loss of freedom"? And who is to decide? How could that be anyone other than a judge? You trust your government THAT much?
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

JLives wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 9:56 am
BC Landlord wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 9:10 am
Not even close. A smoker can put out a cigarette before going into a restaurant and light up again on his way out. You realize we are talking here about MANDATORY vaccinations and producing a proof therein (vaxports) to access basic services. Huge difference. So, unlike your smoker analogy, a person without such a proof would NEVER be allowed to get into a restaurant, grocery store, and God knows what other place some wannabe dictator decides it is required.
Vaccine passports aren't being required for grocery stores or any other essential service. Not being able to enter a restaurant is an inconvenience, not a loss of freedom. Eating in a restaurant is not a human right. And you will also have options for curbside pickup or delivery if you don't feel like cooking.

^^ see that's what I don't understand...allowing unvaxxed and vaxxed people to shop together but not eat together kind makes no sense ?? also why can a person take off their mask when eating, but a child cannot take off their mask when sitting at their desk at school ?? also, many people are getting vaccinated so they can travel and many of them are going to other countries that do not have the vax passport and many of those countries have every low vaccination rates..yet they are freaking out about their friends etc here not being vaccinated and many of them will not even be around anybody who is not fully vaxxed, but they don't have a problem going to another country where they have no idea if that cook or waiter/waitress is vaccinated or not..just really so very weird ??
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

mexi cali wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:04 am You're missing a key point, maybe THE key point. Nobody is being forced to get vaccinated. There is a difference between telling someone to report to a vaccine center and take the jab or face arrest or confinement (same thing I guess) versus saying that if you want to work here or participate in this, you must be vaccinated. That is not "forcing" anyone. Their choice is their choice.
So once the vaccine becomes mandatory to work anywhere in Canada, am I allowed to hoof it up to the bush and build a cabin? If the answer is no then this is forced vaccination.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

BC Landlord wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:15 am
JLives wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 9:56 am Vaccine passports aren't being required for grocery stores or any other essential service. Not being able to enter a restaurant is an inconvenience, not a loss of freedom.
So, ... where is the line in between "inconvenience" and "loss of freedom"? And who is to decide? How could that be anyone other than a judge? You trust your government THAT much?
We are the government. They're just people like you and me. They just facilitate the things we do together. And ending a pandemic is absolutely something that has to be done together and cannot be done on an individual level.

Our rights and freedoms have already been laid out. If you want to know more about what that means in this country start here: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-herit ... edoms.html Skip to the relevant part here: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-herit ... s.html#a2b Show me where restaurants are on this list please.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

fluffy wrote: Cigarettes are an excellent example. We had no problem placing major restrictions on where smokers could indulge as soon as it was discovered to be a risk to others.
:smt045 Exactly! Right on point
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

BC Landlord wrote: You realize we are talking here about MANDATORY vaccinations and producing a proof therein (vaxports) to access basic services.
Going to sporting events, concerts, movies and/or restaurants are not "basic services" [icon_lol2.gif]
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:26 am
BC Landlord wrote: You realize we are talking here about MANDATORY vaccinations and producing a proof therein (vaxports) to access basic services.
Going to sporting events, concerts, movies and/or restaurants are not "basic services" [icon_lol2.gif]
^^ so allowing unvaxxed and vaxxed people to shop together is ok though ?? people will still be using the same carts, touching the same items and using the same public washrooms..where is the "science" in this ??
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

JLives wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:20 am We are the government. They're just people like you and me. They just facilitate the things we do together. And ending a pandemic is absolutely something that has to be done together and cannot be done on an individual level.

Our rights and freedoms have already been laid out. ...
No, we are not. Governments can write laws, ... you can't. Governments can enforce them, ... you can't. Our history is full of examples where the combination of legislative and executive powers went sideways, often totally bypassing the judicial branch.

These people out in the street protesting are challenging it. So, don't mock them.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

W105 wrote:
Ka-El wrote: Going to sporting events, concerts, movies and/or restaurants are not "basic services" [icon_lol2.gif]
^^ so allowing unvaxxed and vaxxed people to shop together is ok though ??
This is where the difference between basic and essential services comes in. People have to shop for food to eat. No one is going to be physically harmed or deprived by not being able to go to a concert, movie or restaurant. That will be a choice.

W105 wrote: people will still be using the same carts, touching the same items and using the same public washrooms..where is the "science" in this ??
Well, I don’t know about you but it seems most people do understand the science. People have been going into grocery stores wearing masks and using sanitizer to wipe down carts for some time now. It’s not complicated stuff and it seems most people have no difficulty with it. Of course, there are always those entitled few.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

BC Landlord wrote: These people out in the street protesting are challenging it. So, don't mock them.
The very small minority who are protesting in front of hospital (blocking ambulances, interfering with patient care, etc.) are not heroes. They are misinformed/uninformed idiots who are putting everyone’s health and our economic recovery at risk. They deserve to be mocked. As stated by an actual health care worker, “They should be ashamed”.

Your heroes at work …
Mother, nurse describes terrifying ordeal trying to get young daughter through protest outside KGH

A Kelowna mother and nurse who had to take her daughter to an appointment at Kelowna General Hospital in the midst of Wednesday's protest says she was verbally abused by the crowd, which terrified her nine year old.

"We parked and that was when we had to walk from this area over to here," Tanya Miles explained. "My daughter was of course like 'mommy, mommy I can’t do that' and I was like 'we can do this we have to do this.'"

"As we got closer ... one woman grabbed my mask and tried to take it off. People are yelling at us saying inappropriate things. I end up picking up my daughter and putting her on my back and piggyback her so that we could get through.”

Miles, a nurse at the B.C. Cancer Clinic, said some of her colleagues were spat on as they tried to enter the hospital, others were forced to miss chemotherapy appointments.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... utside-KGH
Last edited by Ka-El on Sep 3rd, 2021, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Sparki55 wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:19 am
mexi cali wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 10:04 am You're missing a key point, maybe THE key point. Nobody is being forced to get vaccinated. There is a difference between telling someone to report to a vaccine center and take the jab or face arrest or confinement (same thing I guess) versus saying that if you want to work here or participate in this, you must be vaccinated. That is not "forcing" anyone. Their choice is their choice.
So once the vaccine becomes mandatory to work anywhere in Canada, am I allowed to hoof it up to the bush and build a cabin? If the answer is no then this is forced vaccination.
This sounds like a trick question. Enjoy the mooses and deerses.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Social Concerns”