A Lack of Kindness

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: A Lack of Kindness

Post by fvkasm2x »

While not related to discussions, politics or statements...

I've noticed a lack of kindness for almost a decade now in almost every facet of life.

People don't hold doors as often, wave in traffic when you let them in or even say "thank you" when you do something for them.

It's pretty sad.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

fvkasm2x wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 10:54 am While not related to discussions, politics or statements...

I've noticed a lack of kindness for almost a decade now in almost every facet of life.

People don't hold doors as often, wave in traffic when you let them in or even say "thank you" when you do something for them.

It's pretty sad.
You are quite right. I try to make it a habit to recognize people as people, maybe smile at them or say hi. I hold the doors or others; the little kindnesses are important. Like letting someone with few items ahead of you in line, or just giving a random compliment. I particularly like the latter, it often lights them up. Something like "you have a lovely smile" or even "what a great t-shirt" if it is cute or funny.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Lady tehMa wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 3:54 pm
fvkasm2x wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 10:54 am While not related to discussions, politics or statements...

It's pretty sad.
You are quite right. I try to make it a habit to recognize people as people, maybe smile at them or say hi. I hold the doors or others; the little kindnesses are important. Like letting someone with few items ahead of you in line, or just giving a random compliment. I particularly like the latter, it often lights them up. Something like "you have a lovely smile" or even "what a great t-shirt" if it is cute or funny.
:up: :up: :up:

Me too! Not only do I hold doors, I swing my hand in front of automatic doors and allow others through first, lol. It is a minimal amount of interaction but it feels good to help others smile. Smiles are free according to some McDonald’s menus. People tend to be less of an ideological twerp when they are eye to eye.

I have had numerous kind acts done towards me. People could put their money where their heart is and pay something forward.

Mankind is our business.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 4th, 2021, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Lady tehMa wrote: Sep 2nd, 2021, 10:05 am I am finding people are becoming polarized about topics, and in general highly hostile to any other stance than their own.
No one was polarized before.
I don't think people cared about anything before - but now there's one particular topic where people will not allow someone else to dictate to them. Can you guess what that topic is?
Lady tehMa wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 3:54 pm I try to make it a habit to recognize people as people, maybe smile at them ...
That's great. :up: People were smiling until March 2020.

I never saw one person smile in March 2020. Do you wonder why?

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

Thinktank wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 7:01 am With Coronavirus - CBC is spreading fear. Ian Hanomansing mentioning coronavirus, doses, and Pfizer every seven seconds
puts "fear" into people. When people are afraid - they go crazy.

I'm thinking all the vaxxers are very afraid about now. The un-vaxxers - not so much. …(snip)…
I’m thinking you’re on to something here. Fear is driving some people to blame the unvaxxed for all of society’s ills right now. Hopefully the damage isn’t permanent. Maybe society will swing in the other direction when things simmer down.

The media’s guilty of sensationalizing things in the name of viewer/readership. Society as a whole is paying a steep price.
~
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Could we please (on knees, hands clasped together) NOT make this into ANOTHER, UNWANTED Covid thread?

:topic:

A Lack of Kindness.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

fvkasm2x wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 10:54 am I've noticed a lack of kindness for almost a decade now in almost every facet of life.

The simple things we once took for granted as the right way to do things are disappearing. While I don't complain or comment openly I'm always conscious of the absence of please & thank-you at the check-out, people not holding a door when someone is right behind them.

It's a comfort to know that this is noticed by others, and that we may have some chance of getting through it by setting a good example.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

but those are simply good manners, not kindness
I do enjoy when I hold the door and don't even get a thanks... I was raised to display good manners. So maybe it is just a lack of people ever being taught manners to begin with.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Kindness is like empathy.
It is within you.
But good manners are taught at home.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

normaM wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 7:47 am but those are simply good manners, not kindness
I do enjoy when I hold the door and don't even get a thanks... I was raised to display good manners. So maybe it is just a lack of people ever being taught manners to begin with.
There's something to that. Jonathan Swift said "Good manners is the art of making others comfortable."

I found this interesting:
10 Habits of Remarkably Polite People
...we love being around genuinely polite people. (Not fake polite--sincere polite.) They make us feel comfortable. They make us feel respected and valuable. We would love to be more like them.
https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/10-habit ... eople.html
If making others comfortable requires genuine interest in others, genuine empathy and genuine kindness are always likely to be part of that.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

WTH is with all the P/O Shoppers in town lately, don’t be taking your BS problems out on the staff.
If you can’t be polite &/or considerate then get the hell out of the store.

If it were up to me I’d be bouncing numerous customers to curb, until they :swear: smarten up.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

normaM wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 7:47 am ...but those are simply good manners, not kindness
It all comes from the same place. Courtesy, respect, a sense of community, why is it people are making it into the mainstream without learning this stuff ? Are we too busy ? Are we so wrapped up in our own probeems that we're forgetting those around us ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

fluffy wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 8:29 am Are we so wrapped up in our own problems that we're forgetting those around us ?
we're good. In fact, we're almost perfect. But our leaders aren't. :smt045

Last winter it was a nice Saturday morning, and I went to Savon to buy groceries, and I walk into
Cherry Lane and a Security guy "attacks" me - to wear a mask - no one in the mall - for that short
stretch where you walk to Savon. (the guy was polite but I don't need to be ordered around)

I'm not used to getting attacked so early in the morning. Maybe if it was later in the day it would be okay.

So let's not try and brainwash everyone to be nice, and Christian, and friendly, and considerate
right now - when our government is a TYRRANY.

When you have people standing at the entrance to every store
it's not a pleasant situation, where you want to go around smiling.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

fluffy wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 8:29 am
normaM wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 7:47 am ...but those are simply good manners, not kindness
It all comes from the same place. Courtesy, respect, a sense of community, why is it people are making it into the mainstream without learning this stuff ? Are we too busy ? Are we so wrapped up in our own probeems that we're forgetting those around us ?
I think it stems from what kids are being taught at home.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Social Concerns”