A Lack of Kindness

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: A Lack of Kindness

Post by JLives »

Lady tehMa wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 9:29 am
fluffy wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 8:29 am

It all comes from the same place. Courtesy, respect, a sense of community, why is it people are making it into the mainstream without learning this stuff? Are we too busy? Are we so wrapped up in our own problems that we're forgetting those around us?
I agree that good manners are a kindness. I do know people who weren't raised with manners and acquired them later on their own. And I know people who were raised with manners where it just "didn't take". I tend to see it as a mark of character if someone has manners, and a telling lack of character if they do not. People with manners are more likely to be kind, in my experience.

I have been thinking about this topic, though. In years past, people were raised with an awareness of their responsibility to the community. Since about the '60s or so (by my estimation, feel free to share your own thoughts) the concept of the self as being more important than the community has been growing. Simply put, people are becoming more selfish. It's all about me-me-me and to heck with the rest. With that trend comes a distinct lack of responsibility - an unwillingness to shoulder any obligation to society, or to do for others. This makes for a pretty toxic culture, in my opinion.

Edit: and yes, normaM, a lack of empathy.
There's a pretty big segment of society pushing individualism aka libertarianism. This is a part of it. We can't get anything done if we're just herding cats. We have to work and live together. I don't experience much rudeness in my day to day interactions so can't comment much on that. I do find most people to be kind.

Another part is how we live. So many people in boxes in buildings (condos) who work remotely, order food through apps. Kids who grow up without yards or much access to real nature. Then add in a pandemic. We're not physically around each other as much. We're a social species and just being around each other is necessary to mental health and reinforcing how to treat other people and form relationships. It's not the fault of the internet though, it's memetic evolution. Our brains aren't wired to adapt as fast as society is changing. We'll get there and when we do future technology will have far surpassed where we caught up to. I see it as an issue that will take several generations to work out. We're so damn impatient.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

JLives wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 1:31 amAnother part is how we live. So many people in boxes in buildings (condos) who work remotely, order food through apps. Kids who grow up without yards or much access to real nature. Then add in a pandemic. We're not physically around each other as much. We're a social species and just being around each other is necessary to mental health and reinforcing how to treat other people and form relationships. It's not the fault of the internet though, it's memetic evolution. Our brains aren't wired to adapt as fast as society is changing. We'll get there and when we do future technology will have far surpassed where we caught up to. I see it as an issue that will take several generations to work out. We're so damn impatient.
Which boils down to a loss of community, doesn't it ? I always enjoyed visiting parts of Vancouver that had grown into little "micro-towns", each with their own collection of retail necessities and social outlets, maybe a little green space. All your needs within walking distance and familiar faces on a daily basis. People just seem happier in that sort of environment.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

fluffy wrote: Sep 5th, 2021, 8:55 am And I still think the internet is playing a big part in a general erosion of decent behavior.
You know when Diana got killed, the media tried to say the people were to blame for being interested in everything she did?

And you know how Canada's BIGGEST TWO-FACE Justin Trudeau tried to say there is "systemic racism" in Canada?

And you know how you and many others are trying to say "People aren't very nice any more?"

It's all not true. We're all good, decent, polite, and nice. We're all kind, calm, and the biggest 'obeyers' of our leaders in human history and we'll take every abuse our leaders heap on our head. because we're nice. We're considerate. We're polite.
We're too good.

but we're really really dumb.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

fluffy wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 6:33 am
JLives wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 1:31 amAnother part is how we live. So many people in boxes in buildings (condos) who work remotely, order food through apps. Kids who grow up without yards or much access to real nature. Then add in a pandemic. We're not physically around each other as much. We're a social species and just being around each other is necessary to mental health and reinforcing how to treat other people and form relationships. It's not the fault of the internet though, it's memetic evolution. Our brains aren't wired to adapt as fast as society is changing. We'll get there and when we do future technology will have far surpassed where we caught up to. I see it as an issue that will take several generations to work out. We're so damn impatient.
Which boils down to a loss of community, doesn't it ? I always enjoyed visiting parts of Vancouver that had grown into little "micro-towns", each with their own collection of retail necessities and social outlets, maybe a little green space. All your needs within walking distance and familiar faces on a daily basis. People just seem happier in that sort of environment.
It really does boil down to a loss of community. I'd love to see people offered incentives to move to the smaller communities to build them up.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

If there is a lack of kindness (and not that it can be accurately measured), then instead of complaining, one should supplant the missing kindness (online or offline). It is better than perplexing over a missing quantity. It is easy to be kind without complaining, in fact it is the smallest of all crosses.

My neighbour gave me fresh home grown tomatoes last week. That was really sweet of him, and they were the best tomatoes I’ve ever eaten. Sometimes I surprise him and his buddies with pizza or beer. As Canadians we are always polite and helpful. Sometimes I shovel my sidewalk and include my neighbours adding a little more callous to my hands and sweat on my brows. As difficult as it is to see a smile through a mask, a gentle reminder that it is happening.

If one can see the value of community and humanity then kindness and empathy have found a place inside to be nurtured. All those qualities boil down to “love your neighbour”.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

My friend treated me at the El yesterday - she is a kind soul :)
You can buld a sense of community anywhere, doesn't have to be a small town.
Heck, we even have yearly block parties -
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Block parties are a great idea!
Once you get to know your neighbors, the whole world feels better.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I totally agree with that. The availability of a platform for instant and faceless communication with little or no accountability immediately gave us a visible erosion in basic courtesy and respect online.
I'll bet that only you could say that to my face ..

Anonymity turns people in to Jerks as they don't have to own what they say to others under that veil ....

Good post Fluffy .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

well then you won't turn them in for noise LOL
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 6th, 2021, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Watched an interesting commentary re; back to work Sunday.
What was noted is that remote working is a way of the future.
Not for all, but some.
Raised in the discussion is that peoples appearance and manners will slide.
Working at home lowers the bar, and the requirement for civility and decent manners towards fellow workers.
Not to mention a requirement for some form of dress code.
Does this mean sweat pants and flip flops will be the norm? :200:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

PoplarSoul wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 12:54 pm *removed*

If ONLY i wasn't doing the laundry and caught that ... Bet it was " good" ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I see a few people have mentioned empathy and it was my first thought too. Treat everyone the way you want to be treated. It's that easy.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

ferri wrote: Sep 6th, 2021, 2:41 pm I see a few people have mentioned empathy and it was my first thought too. Treat everyone the way you want to be treated. It's that easy.
Kindness starts by just being a good neighbor ..

We've been programmed to forget that ..

Sad really .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 6th, 2021, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wrong thread for this post.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Social Concerns”