Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by ckil »

Ms.Mrs. Snippy above snipped off the wrong part... Jeeeesh!!!!

Secondly, the agreements measure countries based on emissions, but ignore the other side of the environmental balance sheet, which is carbon absorption and offsets. Canada only emits 1.6 per cent of global carbon emissions now, but probably would not have any net emissions if its gigantic “carbon sink” — its inventory of forests, muskeg, water and soil assets that absorb carbon — were taken into consideration.

Canada, in fact, is one gigantic carbon sink — an empty land mass with very few people and an abundance of natural features that decarbonize the world.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

ckil wrote: Jun 30th, 2021, 3:02 pm
OldBlindDog wrote: Jun 30th, 2021, 12:23 pm

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but the Sahara Desert is in the northern hemisphere.
Sarcastic (you're not familiar with my posts). They don't really have seasons other than wet or dry.
Heh, I originally made a snarky reply, then deleted it cause I kinda figured you were being sarcastic, just wanted to make sure. Carry on. :up:
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

OldBlindDog wrote: Jun 30th, 2021, 4:46 pm
ckil wrote: Jun 30th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Sarcastic (you're not familiar with my posts). They don't really have seasons other than wet or dry.
Heh, I originally made a snarky reply, then deleted it cause I kinda figured you were being sarcastic, just wanted to make sure. Carry on. :up:
:130:
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

ckil wrote: Jun 30th, 2021, 3:12 pm Diane Francis: Canada is a giant carbon sink. Why are we not getting credit for it?

The United Nations Paris Agreement and its predecessors are a complete failure and they discriminate against Canada, which is why Canadians should demand changes immediately, or withdraw. There are two main reasons why.

First of all, the agreements exempt the world’s biggest polluters. They do not require all the countries that signed on to reduce emissions. So, of course, they haven’t: to date, of the 192 countries that signed on to the Kyoto Protocol in 1997, only 37 developed countries have reduced CO2 emissions by seven per cent and the rest — led by China and India — increased emissions by 130 per cent. This is not an accord, it’s a joke.
:up:
It is a joke. Canada will never be carbon neutral so long as the UN needs money. After 5 years and billions of dollars, nothing has been accomplished.

"you don't even have to mention green house gasses in your commitment if you don't want to, you send in any piece of paper you want, they all get stapled together and called the Paris Climate Accord."

It is really an agreement to do nothing to great hollow applause. The US did the right thing by leaving the farce/fraud agreement.

Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

This is not climate change either, but it is in the climate change thread ;-)

Antarctic sea ice extent has been gradually growing since the chart began. Even the north arctic minimum extent for 2021 will be at least 1 million sq-km larger than 2020. Just because Antarctic sea ice continually grows, doesn't mean we believe there will be a snowball earth in the near future. It is hard to see any trend as humans since we have only captured accurate data for a few decades.

Antarctica-sea-ice-2021-768x494.png
https://notrickszone.com/2021/08/28/the ... g-sea-ice/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Some interesting news.

For many years the warming trend used to be 0.14C/decade. This rate has dropped since last month to be 0.13C/decade.
The linear warming trend since January, 1979 has now dropped slightly, at +0.13 C/decade (+0.12 C/decade over the global-averaged oceans, and +0.18 C/decade over global-averaged land).
https://www.drroyspencer.com/
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Septuagenarian wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 4:49 am This is not climate change: it's just normal.

"Scientists warn glacier in Canadian Rockies is slipping away before their eyes at unprecedented rate"

https://globalnews.ca/news/8154343/cana ... cier-melt/
It's hard to believe but there are some people that actually do not know that those glaciers may not have existed at all times throughout the past. Between ice ages there have been times with no glaciers in certain parts where they exist now, let alone an ice cap at the north pole.
The last 2000 years has had many retreats, some of which were greater than the "man made" retreat of present day. Over the last 100k years there were many many retreats and advances. All without human influence.
I guess it was magic back then. [icon_lol2.gif]
https://www.whoi.edu/cms/files/solomina16qsr_238964.pdf
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

JagXKR wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 7:14 pm
Septuagenarian wrote: Sep 1st, 2021, 4:49 am This is not climate change: it's just normal.

"Scientists warn glacier in Canadian Rockies is slipping away before their eyes at unprecedented rate"

https://globalnews.ca/news/8154343/cana ... cier-melt/
It's hard to believe but there are some people that actually do not know that those glaciers may not have existed at all times throughout the past. Between ice ages there have been times with no glaciers in certain parts where they exist now, let alone an ice cap at the north pole.
The last 2000 years has had many retreats, some of which were greater than the "man made" retreat of present day. Over the last 100k years there were many many retreats and advances. All without human influence.
I guess it was magic back then. [icon_lol2.gif]
https://www.whoi.edu/cms/files/solomina16qsr_238964.pdf
:up: :up: :up:

Exactly. Not to mention we are finding roads and tools and bones in areas where some glaciers have receded. This means humans lived in areas where they were forced out by growing glaciers. These areas have undergone glacial cycles many times over. Ocean levels were much higher a few thousand years back too.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/hist ... elting-ice

I am curious as to how the cycle of glaciers affects the few people who say they are affected. Will they be ok? I fear there are a few who suffer from psychoapoglacial phenomena.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Antarctic Sea Ice is growing and southern ocean temperatures are falling.
Sea ice at the south Pole has rebounded over the past two years to levels seen 30 years ago
https://canadafreepress.com/article/ant ... nd-cooling
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Just recently watched a recently made nature film showcasing the regrowth of bleached corral sites off Australian Coastline. Those things were supposed to die and stay dead.

Are we going backwards or forwards?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Septuagenarian wrote: Sep 11th, 2021, 7:50 am How things are going, glacier wise, at the Columbia Icefield.
The ice is melting (period).
What do you expect the ice to do? Grow? Melt? Stay the same? What should ice do after an ice age?
Septuagenarian wrote: Sep 11th, 2021, 7:50 am ‘Why Researching Glaciers can be “demoralizing” work’
I think people who do not understand the science are easily demoralized.

Thankfully, the minimum Arctic ice extent this year is going to be almost 2 million sq-km larger. The Arctic ice was supposed to be gone according to ‘activists’ a long time ago. It has been stable or growing for the last 15 years. Antarctic ice is increasing.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It would be interesting to know how much ice (glaciers) was around at warmest prior to last Ice-age.

It is curious how close we are at that same point again.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

From what I understand, the last interglacial had sea levels that were 7m above what we have today 125,000 years ago. Recently though about 6000 years ago levels were 10m higher. Our jagged interglacial peaks will start a gradual fall in a few thousand years towards conditions no one will like. No one knows what causes the ice ages… if the planet is warming and ice is melting and methane is released and ‘feedbacks’ amplify that effect, how does it suddenly reverse? We are still in a period of melt. Something has to melt. The question is what will reverse it. Whatever the future holds, it won’t be good for Winnipeg :-)

Yes, I did watch the video :-) So sweet to think of me!
B3B24000-2422-4F68-9AF4-C1E586403841.jpeg

Last edited by Jlabute on Sep 12th, 2021, 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Minimum Arctic ice extent increasing over the last 10+ years.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/09/12/ ... -10-years/

E768C365-3B8F-4A9D-9586-CB3EADD23645.png

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”