Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: A&W to close at Mission

Post by Urban Cowboy »

motokelowna1 wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 1:25 pm Why because they cannot get workers. How pitiful it is that has to happen when money is tight for many. OR is it . Has CERB made people so rich they need not work anymore. Have we made the country just a lazy bunch of Govt sponges? Sad ...
:up:

Good questions.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hmm.... interesting, I wonder if Ray Heathcote would be interested in returning to this location with a Taco Time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
eires37
Banned

Post by eires37 »

motokelowna1 wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 1:25 pm Why because they cannot get workers. How pitiful it is that has to happen when money is tight for many. OR is it . Has CERB made people so rich they need not work anymore. Have we made the country just a lazy bunch of Govt sponges? Sad ...
And more restaurant closures to come, not necessarily for the same reason but the root cause will the same.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

eires37 wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 1:44 pm
And more restaurant closures to come, not necessarily for the same reason but the root cause will the same.
All it will take is 1 customer yelling at a young employee (or any employee) about having to show vax card. That employee says :cuss: this and walks has absolutely nothing to do with being lazy.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Rich? Really? Just how much do you think people make on CERB/CRB? (Hint: it's not very much)

That spot is in a bad location. Not many Mission residents looking for entry-level restaurant work. Anyone else in town would probably want something with a shorter commute. The price of everything is going up, which means businesses that need to attract workers will have to compete with each other. Not everyone will win. This is an unfortunate pitfall of the free market system.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

sure teens are looking.. who said they were closing? I like that location best.. long time staff. boo :(
when are they closing?
There are some seniors who meet there on the reg they will be restless
Maybe the 2 newer places at Mission Park sucked some business away, and the South Street burger just opened a not far from there.
I like the sweet potato fries.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Link?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

First off, do you have a link to its closing?
Second, if it is closing, those are quite the assumptions you're making.

There's an A & W in Kamloops that we often went to.
The place has gone downhill since Covid started and the owners don't seem to care.
We won't be going back and I suspect it will close soon.

I hope not. They have great burgers and coffee.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH

Re: Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Post by GordonH »

I’ve noticed the Tim’s on corner of Harvey & Cooper been closed for months now. At one time fast food joints were pretty sure winner, now nothing a sure winner.

Hospitality industry is crumbling down.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

My Mother cooked in restaurants in Vancouver for about 30 years and my Sister also worked as a waitress and I had friends who owned some of them and I spent most of my life eating and going to them.

So let me explain like I did earlier that these places work on a low income style of doing business and unless the sell liquor which makes them more money than the food does they have a difficult time surviving. Then add in ALL of the other taxes, rent, light, power, new menu prices, damage caused by some patrons, advertising, food price increases on new orders, minimum wage increases, staff holiday pay, special cash registers so that taxes are recorded and cannot be avoided by not paying, and now finally the very last and very punishing Germ Warfare Virus and the Germ Warfare Virus Vaccine thing and guess what is going to happen to most of them.

You are right on if you say they are in for bad times.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

And to add more to these misfortunes it is not just restaurants that are going to go broke so just keep your eyes on the bouncing balls.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

In Kamloops for a visit this weekend and asked my pal (playing chauffeur) to drive through old haunts to admire the plantings the City put in down in Riverside City Park

My surprise was seeing Starbucks where the A&W used to be.

Yikes. What a change.

Didn’t feel obliged to alight from vehicle to swill overpriced coffee.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 4:22 pm I’ve noticed the Tim’s on corner of Harvey & Cooper been closed for months now. At one time fast food joints were pretty sure winner, now nothing a sure winner.

That's because franchise joints and tourism employers are the biggest predators of low-wage suckers. And everyone knows it now.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:30 pm
GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 4:22 pm I’ve noticed the Tim’s on corner of Harvey & Cooper been closed for months now. At one time fast food joints were pretty sure winner, now nothing a sure winner.

That's because franchise joints and tourism employers are the biggest predators of low-wage suckers. And everyone knows it now.
Then I guess customers will need to dig much deeper into their wallets to pay for these services. Good luck with that.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:46 pmThen I guess customers will need to dig much deeper into their wallets to pay for these services. Good luck with that.
Your last comment says a lot about why our present system isn't market capitalism. Wages and prices should go up hand in hand. Supply and demand. Instead, we have a system that keeps certain things artificially low.

Return to “Social Concerns”