China gets ship building contract from Liberals

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

China gets ship building contract from Liberals

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Justin Trudeau is nothing but a Chinese Communist Party pawn.

Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor continue to be arbitrarily detained, the Uyghurs continue to face genocide, and yet the Trudeau government happily awarded a $100-million contract to a Chinese Communist Party-owned company.

This is unacceptable.

A Conservative government will immediately cancel this deal and ensure that the ferry is built here in Canada.

Chinese state-owned shipbuilder tapped to supply ferry for Crown corporation as Canadians remain jailed

A huge state-owned shipyard in China is building a 1,000-passenger ferry for use by a federal Crown corporation over the objections of Canada’s shipbuilding industry and at a time when two Canadians have spent 989 days in Chinese prisons as victims of what Ottawa has called “hostage diplomacy.”

snip

The heavily subsidized CMI has also scooped other Canadian business. CMI’s Jinling Shipyard recently won a $20-million contract to supply the Northwest Territories with four double-hulled barges. Most of the bill was paid by the federal government.

Colin Cooke, president of the Canadian Marine Industries and Shipbuilding Association, said he finds it “very difficult to stomach” that the federal contract was approved when Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig are incarcerated in China. They have spent 989 days in Chinese prisons with the lights on 24 hours a day.

snip

Mr. Cooke also questioned whether Marine Atlantic’s competitive procurement process was fair, because Stena North Sea can take advantage of China’s heavily subsidized shipping industry to reduce expenses. He said a cost-effective solution could have been found to build the ferry in Canada.

“The vessels could be built stem to stern by Canadian facilities, by Canadian workers for Canadian use,” Mr. Cooke said. “We have the design know-how. We’ve got the components manufacturing and we have the yards.”

The only part of the ferry that would have to be purchased outside Canada would be the engines, although Mr. Cooke said they could come from the United States, Europe and Japan.

snip

Conservative foreign affairs critic Michael Chong accused the Liberals of taking a “business as usual” approach to the Chinese government despite the increasing challenge Beijing represents to Canadian values and interests.

“It’s unbelievable that the federal government would contract directly or indirectly with a Chinese shipbuilder given the deteriorating relationship,” Mr. Chong said. “And secondly, it’s unacceptable, given how China is unfairly competing in global shipping through subsidies.”

Alex Vicefield, the chairman and chief executive officer of Inocea Group, which owns Davie Shipyard in Quebec City, argued there was no reason to have the passenger ferry built outside Canada.

“In fact, the construction of this ferry would be simpler than all the major programs which Davie has undertaken over the past nine years,” he said. “Obviously, the same goes for the barges, too, which are very basic structures.”

snip

“Why would we want to give them business when there are lots of other companies and lots of other countries that we have much better relationships with,” said retired Royal Canadian Navy vice-admiral Mark Norman. “We should try harder to keep this kind of work in Canada.”

Mr. Norman, a former vice-chief of the defence staff, said it’s disturbing that Marine Atlantic appeared not to consider the cases of Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig and Beijing’s increasing belligerence.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... -for-crown
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: China gets ship building contract from Liberals

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Realistically the first two passengers on this Chinese junk could The Two Michaels. Five or six years from now, if they're lucky.
Now where are the Liberal lackeys and their response to this?

It's Harper's fault [icon_lol2.gif]
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 26th, 2021, 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Tesponse to removed
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Conservatives vow to end this contract.

This Liberal contract will do nothing to get the Michaels back if there is such a remote thought. The CCP are Al-Qaeda just without a religion, except they love money. The CCP can't be trusted of which there are endless examples.

Trudeau is the little trouble maker.

"At a campaign event in Vancouver, Mr. Trudeau said he was troubled by the deal, but declined to say whether his government would cancel it.
We are concerned with this situation,
Mr. Trudeau said. He added that his goal is for federal government purchasing to
align with our values.
Appears as though Genocide aligns with his values. This doesn't seem to be a question for the Conservative party.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... to-end-it/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Purity
Board Meister

Post by Purity »

Looks like it's not going to be very promising for the people who endorsed this soft coup d'etat. China hates traitors of all stripes.

https://www.infowars.com/posts/breaking ... dit-score/
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Aug 26th, 2021, 12:39 pmA Conservative government will immediately cancel this deal and ensure that the ferry is built here in Canada.
No, they won't. The contract was tendered and China won. The conservatives will find out how hard it is to end contracts - just like the liberals did with Saudi Arabia and the military equipment. Your word has to mean something internationally. Hostages or not.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This doesn’t surprise me at all, liberals have been sucking up to ccp for decades now.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:50 pm This doesn’t surprise me at all, liberals have been sucking up to ccp for decades now.
Maybe Canada should be willing to pay Canadians more for building ships then. That way China wouldn't win tendered contracts.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

The libs (cretian) cancelled the eh101 helicopter contract to the tune of half a billion charge to us taxpayers.
It can be cancelled, just how much will it cost.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:59 pm
GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:50 pm This doesn’t surprise me at all, liberals have been sucking up to ccp for decades now.
Maybe Canada should be willing to pay Canadians more for building ships then. That way China wouldn't win tendered contracts.
So in bidding process, is it the highest bidder wins or the lowest bidder who wins. If it’s the latter wouldn’t that mean employees are paid low wages to keep costs down.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

GordonH wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 9:09 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 8:59 pm

So in bidding process, is it the highest bidder wins or the lowest bidder who wins. If it’s the latter wouldn’t that mean employees are paid low wages to keep costs down.
For a project of the magnitude of the ship that is being built these days - the biggest objection would be the cost. The conservatives would skewer the liberals if the contract was too expensive. Canada shipbuilding has shown time and again that it's touch and go whether a project is on time - or budget.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So is the Gov't going to train our Sailors how to read Chinese/broken Engrish so they know how to operate these ships? :biggrin:

Their translating of operating manuals leaves much to be desired.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

nucksRnum1 wrote:
Gone_Fishin wrote:A Conservative government will immediately cancel this deal and ensure that the ferry is built here in Canada.
No, they won't. The contract was tendered and China won. The conservatives will find out how hard it is to end contracts -
It certainly won’t be easy and could potentially cost us even more.
New Treaty Allows China to Sue Canada to Change its Laws

Despite public outcry, Stephen Harper, Canada's prime minister, ratified a controversial treaty on Friday that will allow China to sue Canada in secret tribunals for Canadian laws that interfere with Chinese investments.

https://www.newsweek.com/new-treaty-all ... aws-270751
p.s. Harper committed us to this treaty for 31 years.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 7:57 am
nucksRnum1 wrote:
No, they won't. The contract was tendered and China won. The conservatives will find out how hard it is to end contracts -
It certainly won’t be easy and could potentially cost us even more.
New Treaty Allows China to Sue Canada to Change its Laws

Despite public outcry, Stephen Harper, Canada's prime minister, ratified a controversial treaty on Friday that will allow China to sue Canada in secret tribunals for Canadian laws that interfere with Chinese investments.

https://www.newsweek.com/new-treaty-all ... aws-270751
p.s. Harper committed us to this treaty for 31 years.
Great Point. It's so crazy that everything for conservatives is so black/white or easy. It's easy to say you can stand up to China when you obviously can't. Perfectly illustrated by your treaty find. That's such a wet rag door mat treaty. But hey - conservatives are gonna play hardball! Pfftt
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 9:48 am Great Point. It's so crazy that everything for conservatives is so black/white or easy. It's easy to say you can stand up to China when you obviously can't. Perfectly illustrated by your treaty find. That's such a wet rag door mat treaty. But hey - conservatives are gonna play hardball! Pfftt
Stupid treaty, bad move by the conservatives.

Return to “Canada”