Vax Passport tip

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Beerhunter341
Board Meister
Posts: 609
Joined: Apr 19th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by Beerhunter341 »

rustled wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:25 pm
Bsuds wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:10 pm

You are not comprehending how it works. Try doing some research because you don't seem to believe anyone here.
Beerhunter is asking the same questions I'm asking. It's not a matter of not believing anyone here, it's a matter of not understanding how it works.

You seem to me to be saying that the QR code reader only gives a positive or negative response to the person using it - "yes, fully vaccinated" or "no, not fully vaccinated", along with the person's name and, I see from LordEd's post, their birthdate - funnily enough, the same info that's on the card we already have.

So: If a booster is required in, say, December, the QR code reader will look for an updated version of "yes, fully vaccinated" - perhaps "yes, PLUS" - which means the person with the booster shot will have to replace their wallet card or screen shot.

Is this correct?
... and further... Is this our Billion dollar solution? Also, can a QR code be reverse engineered? IDK, I'm asking
LordEd
Guru
Posts: 6790
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by LordEd »

rustled wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:25 pm
Bsuds wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:10 pm

You are not comprehending how it works. Try doing some research because you don't seem to believe anyone here.
Beerhunter is asking the same questions I'm asking. It's not a matter of not believing anyone here, it's a matter of not understanding how it works.

You seem to me to be saying that the QR code reader only gives a positive or negative response to the person using it - "yes, fully vaccinated" or "no, not fully vaccinated", along with the person's name and, I see from LordEd's post, their birthdate - funnily enough, the same info that's on the card we already have.

So: If a booster is required in, say, December, the QR code reader will look for an updated version of "yes, fully vaccinated" - perhaps "yes, PLUS" - which means the person with the booster shot will have to replace their wallet card or screen shot.

Is this correct?
I would assume that if you get a booster, you would need to download a new QR code and the reader application updated to understand the new rules.
Welcome to Conspiracy III. Because globalists killing everyone is a "health" topic.

Never forgot those who desecrated veterans on November 11th and their supporters.
Sparki55
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3450
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by Sparki55 »

LordEd wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:30 pm I would assume that if you get a booster, you would need to download a new QR code and the reader application updated to understand the new rules.
The QR link should be updated on the data center end, with no change to the end-user.
LordEd
Guru
Posts: 6790
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by LordEd »

Beerhunter341 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:29 pm ... and further... Is this our Billion dollar solution? Also, can a QR code be reverse engineered? IDK, I'm asking
No idea on cost. The QR format is the same as used in quebec.

If you mean decoded and verified? I could write an app to do so in a few hours. If you mean to make a fake QR code that passes validation? Assuming the key was properly generated and not stolen in some fashion, brute forcing the key would take longer than the age of the universe (per here: https://scrambox.com/article/brute-force-aes/).
Welcome to Conspiracy III. Because globalists killing everyone is a "health" topic.

Never forgot those who desecrated veterans on November 11th and their supporters.
Beerhunter341
Board Meister
Posts: 609
Joined: Apr 19th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by Beerhunter341 »

Sparki55 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:32 pm
LordEd wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:30 pm I would assume that if you get a booster, you would need to download a new QR code and the reader application updated to understand the new rules.
The QR link should be updated on the data center end, with no change to the end-user.
This is what I was saying earlier but got shot down with... do more research
LordEd
Guru
Posts: 6790
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by LordEd »

Sparki55 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:32 pm
LordEd wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:30 pm I would assume that if you get a booster, you would need to download a new QR code and the reader application updated to understand the new rules.
The QR link should be updated on the data center end, with no change to the end-user.
Its actually the data. Your name, birthdate, vaccine record, and signature key. You can't update it via link because it isn't a link. There is absolutely NO network connection required to read or validate it OTHER than downloading the public key.
Welcome to Conspiracy III. Because globalists killing everyone is a "health" topic.

Never forgot those who desecrated veterans on November 11th and their supporters.
LordEd
Guru
Posts: 6790
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by LordEd »

Beerhunter341 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:35 pm This is what I was saying earlier but got shot down with... do more research
I'm literally showing you the EXACT data contained within the code.
Welcome to Conspiracy III. Because globalists killing everyone is a "health" topic.

Never forgot those who desecrated veterans on November 11th and their supporters.
Jonrox
Guru
Posts: 7146
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by Jonrox »

rustled wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 10:32 am I thought the person checking at the door had to scan the QR code, and their scanning app would check the most current status of the person represented by the QR code. The same way a barcode scanner isn't looking at a price, it's looking at a database for the current price of a product. So there shouldn't be a reason to update the image, should there?
Sparki55 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:32 pm
LordEd wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:30 pm I would assume that if you get a booster, you would need to download a new QR code and the reader application updated to understand the new rules.
The QR link should be updated on the data center end, with no change to the end-user.
This isn't how it works.

The QR codes are not acting as links to a server or data centre. All of the information regarding your vaccination status is in the QR code itself. The scanner is simply reading the QR code which already has your vaccination information encoded in it.

Folks, you can just download the reader app and test it out for yourselves. It's free on the Apple App Store and the Google Play store. I turned off internet connectivity and tested it... it still works and works instantly.

If you have one dose and then get a second, you'll need to re-download your QR code with your updated information in it.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49655
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by Bsuds »

rustled wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:25 pm

Beerhunter is asking the same questions I'm asking. It's not a matter of not believing anyone here, it's a matter of not understanding how it works.

You seem to me to be saying that the QR code reader only gives a positive or negative response to the person using it - "yes, fully vaccinated" or "no, not fully vaccinated", along with the person's name and, I see from LordEd's post, their birthdate - funnily enough, the same info that's on the card we already have.

So: If a booster is required in, say, December, the QR code reader will look for an updated version of "yes, fully vaccinated" - perhaps "yes, PLUS" - which means the person with the booster shot will have to replace their wallet card or screen shot.

Is this correct?
That would be true if an updated QR is needed after a booster. We may not get to that point.

The code reader only reads the info on the code. It does not go looking for updated info which is why an internet connection is not needed.

There is no QR code for the unvaccinated, they can't get one until they are vaccinated.

I assume they went with a QR code because it is more secure while a paper one is easily forged.

Does that answer your questions? It's pretty simple.
Jonrox
Guru
Posts: 7146
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by Jonrox »

rustled wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:25 pm You seem to me to be saying that the QR code reader only gives a positive or negative response to the person using it - "yes, fully vaccinated" or "no, not fully vaccinated", along with the person's name and, I see from LordEd's post, their birthdate - funnily enough, the same info that's on the card we already have.

So: If a booster is required in, say, December, the QR code reader will look for an updated version of "yes, fully vaccinated" - perhaps "yes, PLUS" - which means the person with the booster shot will have to replace their wallet card or screen shot.

Is this correct?
This is correct. Again, the reader app is free and available for anyone to download and try out.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49655
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by Bsuds »

Beerhunter341 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:35 pm
This is what I was saying earlier but got shot down with... do more research
Because it has been explained several times and you don't seem to comprehend how it works.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49655
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by Bsuds »

Jonrox wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:40 pm
The QR codes are not acting as links to a server or data centre. All of the information regarding your vaccination status is in the QR code itself. The scanner is simply reading the QR code which already has your vaccination information encoded in it.
Exactly!
rustled
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14041
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by rustled »

Bsuds wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:45 pm
rustled wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:25 pm

Beerhunter is asking the same questions I'm asking. It's not a matter of not believing anyone here, it's a matter of not understanding how it works.

You seem to me to be saying that the QR code reader only gives a positive or negative response to the person using it - "yes, fully vaccinated" or "no, not fully vaccinated", along with the person's name and, I see from LordEd's post, their birthdate - funnily enough, the same info that's on the card we already have.

So: If a booster is required in, say, December, the QR code reader will look for an updated version of "yes, fully vaccinated" - perhaps "yes, PLUS" - which means the person with the booster shot will have to replace their wallet card or screen shot.

Is this correct?
That would be true if an updated QR is needed after a booster. We may not get to that point.

The code reader only reads the info on the code. It does not go looking for updated info which is why an internet connection is not needed.

There is no QR code for the unvaccinated, they can't get one until they are vaccinated.
Some of the images they released early on showed a QR code on a different coloured background, though, for no vaccine or partial vaccination.
Bsuds wrote:I assume they went with a QR code because it is more secure while a paper one is easily forged.
That's not what they told us during the press availability, though - the person answering the question said it was about privacy, that there was info on the existing paper vaccine cards in our wallets that we might not want to share.

Also, people from outside the province aren't using QR codes.
Bsuds wrote:Does that answer your questions? It's pretty simple.
It answers the question of how it works, yes. Thank you.

I do realize this must seem pretty simple to those of you who understand how it works.

As someone more familiar with how barcoding works, I thought it would be accessing a database - which would give up-to-date information on a person's immunization status (pro), but carry more risk for hacking (con).

I appreciate those who've taken the time to explain the difference in how this works.
User avatar
spooker
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3414
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by spooker »

Beerhunter341 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 2:29 pm
spooker wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Why would the app need to store anything? The government would be over-reaching if they kept track of everywhere you go (that duty falls to the phone providers) ... the verification app just needs to validate your QR code and the person checks it against your DL ... had my first check this morning, nothing to it ...
And how do you suppose it validates your QR code? It must be checking it against a database somewhere.
LordEd and Jonrox have been doing a good job of explaining it too ... think of the QR code as a file, it contains data, the reader software knows how to read that data and run a formula to make sure none of the bits were changed from when the server created that data ... that way they know it's valid ... all of the process that is needed to verify the QR code is built into the scanning software ...
--
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers. --Socrates
rustled
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14041
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: Vax Passport tip

Post by rustled »

Jonrox wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:46 pm
rustled wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 3:25 pm You seem to me to be saying that the QR code reader only gives a positive or negative response to the person using it - "yes, fully vaccinated" or "no, not fully vaccinated", along with the person's name and, I see from LordEd's post, their birthdate - funnily enough, the same info that's on the card we already have.

So: If a booster is required in, say, December, the QR code reader will look for an updated version of "yes, fully vaccinated" - perhaps "yes, PLUS" - which means the person with the booster shot will have to replace their wallet card or screen shot.

Is this correct?
This is correct. Again, the reader app is free and available for anyone to download and try out.
Thank you.
:130:

Return to “Social Concerns”