Renaming Vaccines - Why?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Renaming Vaccines - Why?

Post by Beerhunter341 »

Why do you think they would want to rename their vaccines? Is this not going to confuse many?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/g ... entnewsntp

OTTAWA — Health Canada announced the Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines have been given new names.

New brand names for the vaccines have been approved at the request of the drug companies.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has now been dubbed Comirnaty, which the company says represents a combination of the terms COVID-19, mRNA, community, and immunity.

The Moderna vaccine will go by SpikeVax and the AstraZeneca vaccine will be named Vaxzevria.

Health Canada points out the vaccines themselves are not changing — only the names are.

The new names are already being used for promotional purposes in the EU and the United States.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 16, 2021.

The Canadian Press
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Renaming Vaccines - Why?

Post by rustled »

Beerhunter341 wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 10:34 am Why do you think they would want to rename their vaccines? Is this not going to confuse many?

OTTAWA — Health Canada announced the Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines have been given new names.

New brand names for the vaccines have been approved at the request of the drug companies.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has now been dubbed Comirnaty, which the company says represents a combination of the terms COVID-19, mRNA, community, and immunity.

The Moderna vaccine will go by SpikeVax and the AstraZeneca vaccine will be named Vaxzevria.

Health Canada points out the vaccines themselves are not changing — only the names are.

The new names are already being used for promotional purposes in the EU and the United States.

The Canadian Press
I wondered, too, and figured it's probably because they've been using their company names rather than "branding" for consumers, and that won't work if they produce a new formula that's very different and want to differentiate it from their original one. (This would be kind of like Procter and Gamble having a name like "Tide" for their laundry detergent, instead of calling it Proctor and Gamble Laundry Detergent, so they're able to differentiate the variations of their "Tide" laundry detergent from their "Gain" laundry detergent.) I could be wrong, though!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

rustled wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 10:49 am
Beerhunter341 wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 10:34 am Why do you think they would want to rename their vaccines? Is this not going to confuse many?

The Canadian Press
I wondered, too, and figured it's probably because they've been using their company names rather than "branding" for consumers, and that won't work if they produce a new formula that's very different and want to differentiate it from their original one. (This would be kind of like Procter and Gamble having a name like "Tide" for their laundry detergent, instead of calling it Proctor and Gamble Laundry Detergent, so they're able to differentiate the variations of their "Tide" laundry detergent from their "Gain" laundry detergent.) I could be wrong, though!
You are probably correct but what a SNAFU then. All three companies marketing departments didn't think of this in the beginning? Maybe it has something to do with registering a trademark.
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

Beerhunter341 wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 11:45 am
You are probably correct but what a SNAFU then. All three companies marketing departments didn't think of this in the beginning? Maybe it has something to do with registering a trademark.
I had assumed it was to do with once a health department has fully accepted something beyond emergency use that the company can brand it.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Beerhunter341 wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 11:45 am
rustled wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 10:49 am
There was urgency in the beginning - I don't think they were focused on branding at the time. It shouldn't be a SNAFU for us, really. Most of us will know what vaccine we already had, and what its new name is. Kind of like when anything else that matters to us rebrands under a new name.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It's nothing more than rebranding a "hamburger" as a McDonald's/Brazier/Teen/Fat/cheese/ burger. It's just product identification to draw attention to the maker.
They are all obviously very proud of their product and want to bring special attention to it.

NO big deal, this is just marketing and patenting.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

alanjh595 wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 3:43 pm It's nothing more than rebranding a "hamburger" as a McDonald's/Brazier/Teen/Fat/cheese/ burger. It's just product identification to draw attention to the maker.
They are all obviously very proud of their product and want to bring special attention to it.

NO big deal, this is just marketing and patenting.
Bad example. A Big Mac has always been a Big Mac etc. It was never called a MacDonalds burger.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 16th, 2021, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Bring back the LIKE button.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

"Pf?zer BionTech" does not sound very catchy. And what would they call the next version? "Pfizer BionTech 2.0?"
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

i heard a sure-thing re-branding option has recently become available...

pfizermagicsyrup.jpg
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

The reason is that without approval they were not permitted to market under a brand name. With the fcc and Canadian approval its now permitted to market them under their brand names.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Each name was used by it’s pharmaceutical company, now that they have been approved.

They will be called what pharmaceutical company has given it.

Example: no one asks for a couple bayer... it’s aspirin.
Last edited by GordonH on Sep 17th, 2021, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

GordonH wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 6:40 pm Each name was used by it’s pharmaceutical company, now that they have been approved.

They will be called what pharmaceutical company has given it.

Example: not one asks for a couple bayer... it’s aspirin.
Anything to feed the conspiracy.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

On August 23, Pfizer-BioNTech's Covid-19 vaccine was granted official approval for use in individuals 16 years of age and older by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). With official FDA approval, the company was allowed to start marketing the vaccine with an official name, Comirnaty.Aug. 30, 2021
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Pfizer and Moderna say that this change also marks the full approval of their vaccines for those 12 years old and up in Canada, which had been previously approved under an interim approval set to expire Thursday.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan

Return to “Health”