Empty Shelves?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Empty Shelves?

Post by Bsuds »

We were shopping today and noticed that 1 store in particular has a lot of empty shelves.

We had 6 things on our list that we regularly buy at Wmart and not 1 item was in stock.

Needless to say we left the store and purchased nothing there. We found all the items but 1 (A&W Root Beer) at the SS just a few blocks away.

This seems to be an ongoing problem at this store as we have been told that the West Kelowna store is always fully stocked.

Anyone else run into this problem here?

Considering the pricing at the SS is very comparable I think we will just go there for all these items in the future. As well as when the new Costco opens it will be right across the road, so less driving. :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Empty Shelves?

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 6:38 pm We were shopping today and noticed that 1 store in particular has a lot of empty shelves.

We had 6 things on our list that we regularly buy at Wmart and not 1 item was in stock.

Needless to say we left the store and purchased nothing there. We found all the items but 1 (A&W Root Beer) at the SS just a few blocks away.

This seems to be an ongoing problem at this store as we have been told that the West Kelowna store is always fully stocked.

Considering the pricing at the SS is very comparable I think we will just go there for all these items in the future. As well as when the new Costco opens it will be right across the road, so less driving. :biggrin:
Everyone once and a while I will want diet A&W, I usually purchase box of cans. Last year plus they were unavailable, I just noticed them recently... poof they were gone.
Bottle goes stale before I finish it... so cans are prefect.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Superstore has A&W regular and diet root beer on sale so the sales rep might not have been in to restock the shelves.

3 cases 12x355 ml cans for $10.98
https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/s ... oot%20beer

ETA - if you have the printed Walmart flyer take it with you - RCSS will price match. If you don't have the printed version, just use your cell phone to bring up the flyer - prices will still be matched.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Bsuds wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 6:38 pm We were shopping today and noticed that 1 store in particular has a lot of empty shelves.

I have noticed the same. With the fire in WK - the ss was like zombie apocalypse empty about a week ago. But there was toilet paper. So small victories.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

btw no way in hell will I ever walk into a walmart store, walton Family can go :swear: themselves.
Chances are since Sam died the family probably unloaded walmart.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

The Walton family are the majority stockholders.
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/i ... rs-wmt.asp
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 8:00 pm Superstore has A&W regular and diet root beer on sale so the sales rep might not have been in to restock the shelves.
We were in Superstore yesterday and the delivery gut was stocking the shelves. No A&W and he had no idea when he would be delivering any. Yes it has been hard to find since covid started. Hmm, I wonder if it's a cure? :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Lots of supply chains are stressed, just look at caramel drizzle at Starbucks which has been out of stock in many locations for months. With such an integrated world we are reliant on other countries and what they are dealing with for our products. Just as Asian nations prices of agricultural products is reliant on us, we are reliant on them for other items.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I’ve noticed quite a few of my favourites have been “out of stock” for weeks now. I love Oolong tea and can’t seem to find it anywhere these days. Ditto for my favourite cookies and a certain brand of British marmalade. I assume it’s related to supply issues caused by the Pandemic, and if that’s so I doubt the situation will improve anytime soon.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I watch my sugar closely and stick to the diet pops, which have been particularly prone to shortage. I quizzed a guy stocking shelves in the local Superstore and he said the problem is the supply of artificial sweeteners.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It's entirely possible the problems in the stores' supply chains took root prior to the pandemic.

For example, the chip shortage (the tech type, not the yummy kind) was inevitable with the push for EVs before we had enough sources of rare earth minerals required for their manufacture. Various other policies related to carbon had already begun to disrupt our manufacturing and delivery chains, just as the policies around paper products disrupted manufacturing and delivery chains that served us when we used a lot of pulp for shopping bags and newspapers.

The pandemic is preventing us from seeing the cause and effect of carbon-related policies clearly.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 17th, 2021, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

The biggest issue is that the worldwide logistics network is all messed up right now. Ocean vessel companies are having trouble getting containers back to where they need them... it's generally not a problem with manufacturing or supply, it's simply a logistics problem.

There has been tremendous consumer demand for all sorts of goods during the pandemic. People have been buying a ton of stuff and nobody was really prepared for it.

Compounding the issue is a lack of labour at many ports (especially skilled labour), made worse at times by workers going down with Covid or having to isolate due to strict rules around close contacts of infected people. There's currently 60 ocean vessels at anchor waiting to be unloaded at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. That's thousands upon thousands of containers of "stuff" just sitting there, unable to be unloaded.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/record ... 021-09-15/
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

rustled wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 8:37 am It's entirely possible the problems in the stores' supply chains took root prior to the pandemic.

For example, the chip shortage (the tech type, not the yummy kind) was inevitable with the push for EVs before we had enough sources of rare earth minerals required for their manufacture. Various other policies related to carbon had already begun to disrupt our manufacturing and delivery chains, just as the policies around paper products disrupted manufacturing and delivery chains that served us when we used a lot of pulp for shopping bags and newspapers.

The pandemic is preventing us from seeing the cause and effect of carbon-related policies clearly.
I think there's definitely some validity in this rustled. Supply chains for a lot of goods can't ramp up quickly enough to meet consumer demand in a lot of cases. The pandemic simply sped up the supply issues by a few years due to the unprecedented demand we've seen for the past 18 months.

I'm of the mind that a lot of these issues were going to happen eventually, but in some cases may have happened slowly enough to give producers, manufacturers, and logistics networks time to adapt and scale up. But the pandemic hastened these issues coming to light and caught a lot of people and companies off guard.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Most, if not all, Pepsi products are on sale ... 3 - 12x355 ml cases for $10.98. Lady, if I remember correctly, you were looking for sugar free Coke last year and we found out it was discontinued in Canada. Pepsi has a zero sugar product.

Return to “Social Concerns”