Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Record Labour Shortages in Restaurant Industry

Post by Queen K »

"Too many jobs."

Where there is a mall and or a franchise, there is a job. Think about it. Put a mall or a store anywhere, and boom, jobs.

The spread out, chopping down every forest, plowing over every field, filling in every available area with a developers dream of making it big in retail leases and triple net, comes with having to fill jobs. Add a Starbux and there ya go, supplies/jobs/managers/security. Too many jobs with the changing demographics.

BC Govt has removed the tuition barrier from being a care aid. Program in place. I know someone's daughter who is signed up.

But the restaurant biz should be filled with teenagers like I was back in 1981, doing my first job being a kitchen dishwasher/sous chef, anything they threw at me.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Queen K wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 8:02 am "Too many jobs."

Where there is a mall and or a franchise, there is a job. Think about it. Put a mall or a store anywhere, and boom, jobs.

The spread out, chopping down every forest, plowing over every field, filling in every available area with a developers dream of making it big in retail leases and triple net, comes with having to fill jobs. Add a Starbux and there ya go, supplies/jobs/managers/security. Too many jobs with the changing demographics.

BC Govt has removed the tuition barrier from being a care aid. Program in place. I know someone's daughter who is signed up.

But the restaurant biz should be filled with teenagers like I was back in 1981, doing my first job being a kitchen dishwasher/sous chef, anything they threw at me.
Yes, but there are opportunities now that people did not have back in in the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's. Kids can start online stores, sell space on Instagram, make websites/blogs and publish items. If not that, Amazon is hiring 15,000 warehouse workers at $20+. That is the competition for you are working with now. The new generation is full of energy, idea's and great opportunities, just like the past. It's the opportunities that have changed.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Love it.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

We better watch it, I watched a program a couple of weeks ago where they are developing some very realistic robots to do service jobs. ie: nurses servers, attendants etc, etc, but i guess we all know one day that's coming. :smt045
(sorry, no, i have no link)

It would be funny to watch some of the Anti this, and Anti that, people yelling and loosing it on an android [icon_lol2.gif]
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

cr125 wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 10:26 am We better watch it, I watched a program a couple of weeks ago where they are developing some very realistic robots to do service jobs. ie: nurses servers, attendants etc, etc, but i guess we all know one day that's coming. :smt045
Personally, I would be nervous if robots were doing prostate checks.

But I guess it's coming...
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Even Steven wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 10:31 am
cr125 wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 10:26 am We better watch it, I watched a program a couple of weeks ago where they are developing some very realistic robots to do service jobs. ie: nurses servers, attendants etc, etc, but i guess we all know one day that's coming. :smt045
Personally, I would be nervous if robots were doing prostate checks.

But I guess it's coming...
Hey, there was some pretty good looking android nurses, :up:
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 9:53 am
AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 9:24 am Yes, but there are opportunities now that people did not have back in in the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's. Kids can start online stores, sell space on Instagram, make websites/blogs and publish items. If not that, Amazon is hiring 15,000 warehouse workers at $20+. That is the competition for you are working with now. The new generation is full of energy, idea's and great opportunities, just like the past. It's the opportunities that have changed.
Tell them to call me....I'm stuck in my decadent time holding a vast amount of pent up info.
Trucking is another industry with lots of money and a labour shortage. But slowly you are starting to see automation come in. More automatic trucks. Trucks which can run autonomously on highways (happening in the states).
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bring back the LIKE button.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

:-X Don't tip the robots!
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Yes, and they don't call in sick, no belly aching, they show up, no dental plan, no paid holidays, No Work Safe, The only bonus's they get is a quart of oil to lube the moving parts. I know it doesn't seem right, but we are headed there. :smt045
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

All true, AND

NO bitchen' complaining, stat holiday pay, OT, willing to work 24 hours a day, every day.

Why not? robots have been building our cars for years now, it is just a matter of time before they start picking or fruit and solve our farm worker shortage problem.

Bring back the LIKE button.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 12:04 pm
AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 11:19 am with lots of money and a labour shortage.
If there were lots of money , there wouldn't be a labour shortage, would there?....There is no money in it-trust me. Edit added....If a person can handle 80 hour work weeks-then ya, as a company driver , you could make over 100K/yr. That 80 hour work week will cost 5 years of your life for every year put in at 80 hours week though.
My dads a trucker and so are many of his friends. The money in the business is good if you have the right contracts. The labour shortage isn't because people don't want to drive trucks. Its because it is hard work, still not seen by many as a respectable career (I beg to differ) and having to put up with bosses, dispatchers and customers who treat you like dirt.

The autonomous trucks I am talking about are already on the road https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driverless ... 021-08-15/. It will only continue from here.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 6:18 pm
oldtrucker wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 12:04 pm
If there were lots of money , there wouldn't be a labour shortage, would there?....There is no money in it-trust me. Edit added....If a person can handle 80 hour work weeks-then ya, as a company driver , you could make over 100K/yr. That 80 hour work week will cost 5 years of your life for every year put in at 80 hours week though.
My dads a trucker and so are many of his friends. The money in the business is good if you have the right contracts. The labour shortage isn't because people don't want to drive trucks. Its because it is hard work, still not seen by many as a respectable career (I beg to differ) and having to put up with bosses, dispatchers and customers who treat you like dirt.

The autonomous trucks I am talking about are already on the road https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driverless ... 021-08-15/. It will only continue from here.
I thought truck drivers were cool. But this was my introduction to truck drivers.

And this.....

And who could forget this......

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAG4XXCOj48&t=4s[/youtube]
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

AlienSoldier wrote: Sep 17th, 2021, 6:18 pm My dads a trucker and so are many of his friends. The money in the business is good if you have the right contracts. The labour shortage isn't because people don't want to drive trucks. Its because it is hard work, still not seen by many as a respectable career (I beg to differ) and having to put up with bosses, dispatchers and customers who treat you like dirt.
This makes no sense. 'It isn't that people don't want to work, it's that the work is too hard'...?
People don't want to work because they think the work is 'too hard'?

What ever happened to the mentality that 'anything worth doing is worth doing right' and 'take pride in a job well done'. It's the younger generation who are prissies - "Oh, this job is too hard and people don't respect me." Who is not respecting these workers? It's not the older generation, it's the younger generation that isn't giving the respect. It's these young people's peers.

The younger generation doesn't want to pay their dues. They want new cars, perfect first homes. They want instagram perfection. Their egos write cheques that their bank accounts can't cash. They don't live in reality.

The younger generation is causing their own demise. But yeah, keep blaming the Boomers.
~
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

to add to that they all seem to suffer from ptsd and anxiety. when they still live at home with mommy and daddy , total :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Social Concerns”