Federal Election 2021

foenix
Guru

Re: Federal Election 2021

Post by foenix »

daria wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 8:13 am
GordonH wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 8:11 am

With mail in ballots, there really isn’t any excuses.
And I want to know if every effort was made to help those in long-term care homes were able to vote. I don't care how they would have voted. I just want to know if they were able to vote.
Here's Google to the rescue........

https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx? ... dex&lang=e

Seems they had every opportunity to vote if they wanted to.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Good. I am glad that polling stations were set up at their facilities. I didn't know if COVID restrictions would prevent this.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

foenix wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 8:22 am

And I want to know if every effort was made to help those in long-term care homes were able to vote. I don't care how they would have voted. I just want to know if they were able to vote.

Good to hear Election Canada used resources to get elderly able to cast a vote.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm
Hugely embarrassing? I'm not embarrassed.
All Liberals should be hanging their heads in absolute shame. You guys hopped in bed with an evil foreign government, run by commies for goodness sakes, the worst of the worst of them all, then engaged in a racist campaign that targeted Chinese-Canadian candidates, and you still lost. Like wow.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

foenix wrote: Sep 26th, 2021, 8:22 am

You do realize that you did the research for someone that could have done for themselves - right?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The post postmortems about the election are in full swing. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... conundrum/
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... -cant-win/
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp-po ... -1.6187158
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conser ... -1.6187155

To a very large extent, these postmortems are about "winning". Strategies, tactics, personalities etc.

It is a general characterization of elections - and to a large extent the purpose of elections, that seems to me to be flawed as all get out.

Yes, it is rather obvious that the "purpose" of this election was for Trudeau to get a majority. Spinning it any other way defies logic.

That misses the purpose and intent of democracy. The purpose and intent of democracy is to create governance that reflects the values and desires of everyday Canadians.

It follows that parties and representatives should indeed stand up for the values and concerns of their constituents, providing a voice in government for those constituents.

If instead it becomes "all about winning" - at any cost, those values and concerns become secondary, then what is the point?

Within the maze of Canadians multicultural values and urban, suburban, rural and remote constituencies there is a panoply of concerns that may indeed be contradictory.

Perhaps the starkest contradictory positions are between the PPC and Green positions. Both perspectives need to be heard in a healthy discussion.

"One size fits all" is simply not possible as a "good" solution in a country as diverse economically, diverse culturally, diverse geographically etc. as Canada. If that were the case, then all parties would have the same the same platform - and what would the point of elections be, Yes, there a few very basic things that can fall into "one size fits all" - a simple example is that murder is unacceptable.

There is nothing wrong with having political parties that prioritize urban or rural priorities, values and concerns, nothing wrong with having parties that express regional concerns.

If I think about it, the Bloc does well because they honestly reflects a regional culture and seek to influence governance policy to reflect that by voting for things that "fit" and against things that do not "fit". It is irrelevant that some of those regional culture issues/concerns may seem odd to me.

So if the NDP has become a regional party reflecting a subset of urban cultural values, providing a voice for that somewhat narrow constituency is their role as Canadians want it. If the CPC has become a primarily rural voice, that is equally valid. If the Liberals have become a big city party that is equally valid.

Canada is a big tent that needs lots and lots of anchoring pegs, and many ropes, support poles and lots of fabric. The role of a support pole is not filled by fabric, nor the role of a peg by a rope. Yet together they form a durable structure.

Our politics ought not pit urban voters against rural voters, coastal voters against inland voters etc., instead it ought to seek the grounds where the needs and concerns of all can be met to the largest degree. Yet we see the political parties so caught up in "winning" that they seek to drive wedges, spit out attack adds, make mountains of molehills, and not understand that we just want them to get on with it and find the ways forward that can accommodate all of us.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

TheLiteralKingofEngland wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 11:31 am Why do people keep saying the Liberals lost?
Same reason they said Trump lost to Hillary Clinton... People don't understand that winning the popular vote is not the objective.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Glacier wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 2:32 pm Same reason they said Trump lost to Hillary Clinton... People don't understand that winning the popular vote is not the objective.
Really funny to hear people say:

"The liberals obviously speak for the majority of Canadians, they won the election"

When the truth is they won the game, not the majority of Canadians votes.

I, like everyone else who points it out fully understand what winning the popular vote vs seats is, we are just correcting the words used to assert "majority".
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Sparki55 wrote: I, like everyone else who points it out fully understand what winning the popular vote vs seats is, we are just correcting the words used to assert "majority".
It could also be recognized that while the Conservatives got more votes than any other party, they also got less votes than the other parties combined. The Liberals did not get the support of the majority, but the majority did not vote Conservative.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

The majority of Canadian voters (the ones that bothered to cast their ballot) didn't want Mr. O'Toole as the next Prime Minister of Canada.
It's been a week.
Time to wipe the tears and move on.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 4:22 pm It could also be recognized that while the Conservatives got more votes than any other party, they also got less votes than the other parties combined. The Liberals did not get the support of the majority, but the majority did not vote Conservative.
Lol, word it however you want.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

^^ ah poor innocent"
soon it will be the Chinese commies who handed Trudeau another term, plus idk, maybe free dim sum for life
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

PoplarSoul wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 4:22 pm The majority of Canadian voters (the ones that bothered to cast their ballot) didn't want Mr. O'Toole as the next Prime Minister of Canada.
It's been a week.
Time to wipe the tears and move on.
lol, neither did the majority of Canadians want Trudeau.

I get it, he won, I'm not mad. The sooner we all use words that describe the real outcome the sooner all this back and forth will end.

Neither party won a majority, more Canadians voted conservative than any other party, the liberals won the most seats. <-- that's the facts.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

normaM wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 4:47 pm ^^ ah poor innocent"
soon it will be the Chinese commies who handed Trudeau another term, plus idk, maybe free dim sum for life
Nope, I don't claim any conspiracies! Thanks tho :)

It is interesting the articles posted about how Chinese dominant locations went more liberal this election. Likely due to the conservative's tougher stance on China? Will be interesting to hear more!
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

PM Trudeau still resides at Rideau Cottage.
Mr. O'Toole still resides at Stornoway .. for now.
That's the facts.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.

Return to “Canada”