Why I never used hand sanitizer in my life

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: Why I never used hand sanitizer in my life

Post by dodgerdodge »

typhoon44 wrote: Jan 29th, 2021, 9:57 am
Fancy wrote:Better would be wash your hands and don't touch your face when you're in public. You could still be carrying the virus.
And transferring it to everything you touch. Hand sanitizing is literally the least you could do to prevent spread.
Wasn't this all dispelled long ago? Didn't we move away from all this spread by touching way back when we were all told it was airborne and masks were king? The chances of this airborne virus spreading throughout our province because we all touched something without first sanitizing is probably up there with same chance as winning the lotto.
Somebody laughed off the comment about sanitizing 5 times a day but this is reality right now if you follow the signage. Take a trip to the mall and every single store will have a sanitizer at the entrance. If you sanitized at every store your hands would be red raw.
Kodidad
Übergod

Post by Kodidad »

samsquench07 wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 5:44 pm I just use hot soap and water

Hey can you score me some hot soap. I'm tired of the old cold type of soap. Tried bars, foam, cream, but hot soap sounds great. Do you really need the water? [icon_lol2.gif]
Sorry, did you mean hot soup, because I hear chicken noodle works well on covid. :smt045
MY OPINIONS MEAN NOTHING, SAME AS YOURS
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Kodidad wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 10:21 pm
samsquench07 wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 5:44 pm I just use hot soap and water

Hey can you score me some hot soap. I'm tired of the old cold type of soap. Tried bars, foam, cream, but hot soap sounds great. Do you really need the water? [icon_lol2.gif]
Sorry, did you mean hot soup, because I hear chicken noodle works well on covid. :smt045
[icon_lol2.gif]
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

If sanitizer was a killer, we wouldn't have nurses and doctors still walking around caring for us. Sanitizer has been used and promoted at hospitals for a decade or more. Consistent use between patient rooms, seeing patients, and breaks of any kind. It just runs like a river through hospitals. It's not killing the staff or visitors, so this is all hogwash.

The OP's link to the story about the use of methanol in production. Good thing most sanitizers are produced using ethanol, a completely different chemical to methanol (notice the added 'm').

I agree that we need exposure to dirt and the like to build and boost our response to our environment. But some environments, and some bugs, are a far greater risk to us, especially when we are in hospital. Medical experts and doctors seem to think that we should treat COVID like one of those bugs.

But hey, you want to go with the science, or the waste treatment guy eating his sandwich?
Kodidad
Übergod

Post by Kodidad »

He probably has an O'Henry bar in his lunch kit as well. :up:
MY OPINIONS MEAN NOTHING, SAME AS YOURS
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Kodidad wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 10:40 pm He probably has an O'Henry bar in his lunch kit as well. :up:
Why carry them in your lunch kit when they give them to you at work for free?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

marooned wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 10:37 pm If sanitizer was a killer, we wouldn't have nurses and doctors still walking around caring for us.

According to the Georgia Poison Center, poison control center hotlines across the country have seen a near 400% increase in calls related to children younger than 12 swallowing hand sanitizer. Parents need to know that ingesting even small amounts can cause alcohol poisoning, as the amount of alcohol in hand sanitizer ranges from 45-95 percent.

To appeal to children, hand sanitizer companies now make fun, fruity scents, like grape and orange. When these sanitizers are alcohol-based, the results can be highly dangerous.

(it also has cancer causing chemicals that are absorbed through your skin - just tell kids to use soap - it's not like a dangerous flu is spreading around and killing people)

https://littlethings.com/family-and-par ... -sanitizer
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote: Sep 28th, 2021, 7:28 am According to the Georgia Poison Center, poison control center hotlines across the country have seen a near 400% increase in calls related to children younger than 12 swallowing hand sanitizer. Parents need to know that ingesting even small amounts can cause alcohol poisoning, as the amount of alcohol in hand sanitizer ranges from 45-95 percent.

To appeal to children, hand sanitizer companies now make fun, fruity scents, like grape and orange. When these sanitizers are alcohol-based, the results can be highly dangerous.

(it also has cancer causing chemicals that are absorbed through your skin - just tell kids to use soap - it's not like a dangerous flu is spreading around and killing people)

Sheesh - kids are swallowing laundry pods - it's up to the parents to ensure their child's safety. I love the pumpkin scented hand sanitizers at this time of year.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Thinktank wrote: Sep 28th, 2021, 7:28 am- just tell kids to use soap -
That I agree with.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Yup - said that the first page.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Fancy wrote: Sep 28th, 2021, 7:36 am
Thinktank wrote: Sep 28th, 2021, 7:28 am According to the Georgia Poison Center, poison control center hotlines across the country have seen a near 400% increase in calls related to children younger than 12 swallowing hand sanitizer. Parents need to know that ingesting even small amounts can cause alcohol poisoning, as the amount of alcohol in hand sanitizer ranges from 45-95 percent.

Sheesh - kids are swallowing laundry pods - it's up to the parents to ensure their child's safety. I love the pumpkin scented hand sanitizers at this time of year.

^^ actually yrs ago when my son was 7 yrs old, some kid brought a small container of hand sanitizer to school ( his mom packed it in his lunch) and was getting some of the kids to drink it at recess...a few kids did and they got a bit sick from it...we were given a newsletter from the School telling us parents to please stop sending your child to school with hand sanitizer... pretty sure the mom who sent it to school with her kid never thought in a million yrs that her kid would be offering it as a drink to the other kids..it's not crazy to think that little ones like to stick weird stuff in their mouths..especially if it has a nice scent or looks like food or candy..( pot gummies are very dangerous to leave around children)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've taken all sorts of stuff away from kids they shouldn't be playing with - batteries was a big one. Children aren't born with common sense and we see some adults with very little as well.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

dodgerdodge wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 5:56 pm
And transferring it to everything you touch. Hand sanitizing is literally the least you could do to prevent spread.
Wasn't this all dispelled long ago? Didn't we move away from all this spread by touching way back when we were all told it was airborne and masks were king? The chances of this airborne virus spreading throughout our province because we all touched something without first sanitizing is probably up there with same chance as winning the lotto.
Somebody laughed off the comment about sanitizing 5 times a day but this is reality right now if you follow the signage. Take a trip to the mall and every single store will have a sanitizer at the entrance. If you sanitized at every store your hands would be red raw.
You don't need to sanitize at every store. Clean hands is still part of the several measures to reduce infection. As suggested, don't touch your face, a mask actually helps some remember not to do this. this has been discussed many times, Those who haven't got the message by now never will.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

70% ethanol is safe both topically as a sanitizer and ingested. As a hand sanitizer it's the most effective recommended percentage. I've come close to finding cask strength single malt of that strength, so far just under 65%. The quest continues :biggrin:
I birn quil I se
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

dodgerdodge wrote: Sep 27th, 2021, 5:56 pm
You dredged up a thread from 10 months ago when no one knew?

Return to “Health”