But it's OK for MSM to mislead?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

But it's OK for MSM to mislead?

Post by Jim Dixon »

The headline reads:
"Support for vax passports
78% of Canadians support proof-of-vaccine requirement to visit public places: poll
"

Had to get this off my chest.

In reality, that "78%" is NOT "of Canadians" as choreographed. It is 78% of "The poll of 1,537 Canadians was conducted Sept. 24-26," NOT "of Canadians", making this story, IMO, as bad as flat earth, no moon landings, and the horde of online anti-vax.
Canada gov with today's census shows there to be about 38 million. I'm not succumbing to such outlandish MSM misleading and as close to false as one can get.

I am very disappointed in whomever managed to flog this to the "The Canadian Press" (CP). There is no indication who wrote this trash, I don't blame them for hiding.

I wonder how well the twisted stats have on people that really think all Canadians feel the same way as 1,537 other unknown people.

Shame on who wrote it, shame on CP for releasing it. Shame? Why not? They have been shaming anyone with a opposing opinion.
Subliminal to the n'th degree. Misleading 100% and it's not the first time, but is the latest trend in tabloid-style journalism and reporting story telling.

I am just one vote but 99% of those I polled no longer trust MSM and for good reason. That's whopping 99%!

NOTE: Just because Castanet replayed the story doesn't mean Castanet has any control over CP nor does it mean Castanet agrees. It is news, and it's off the CP wire and should, IMO, be available for readers.

Careful what you read...

~j~
p.s. I have not taken any side to vax/no-vax and posting this has nothing to do with the content, but everything to do with honest in content.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: But it's OK for MSM to mislead?

Post by Silverstarqueen »

It's a poll. There is no poll which gets its replies from every single person in a country.
Also it is understood that any poll is only relevant for the time it was conducted.
So a poll where they ask if people would get the covid vaccine might get a 40% response in Jan 2020, and a 80% response in Sept 2021. They aren't expected to be true for all time.
A poll of a small pool of canadians is basically like taking the temperature of a couple of pieces of chicken in a frying pan, it's then presumed that all the other pieces of chicken will have about the same temperature.
If it said the poll was of 1537 Canadians, then there was no deception.
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

How was the ride on that turnip truck? Did you just turn 18 and become politically active? Indeed...it's a poll. All polls are like that. The big "poll" we just had had a 59% turnout. Does that mean the other 41% were not heard? Why yes it does. But it's also about as totally accurate as a poll can be.
More proper polls would include the statistical accuracy like a plus or minus percentage 19 times out of 20 or something. This poll was from Leger and they used a random selection from their own pool of participants. But it's not a full-out random poll.
And frankly. I'm not sure how they can even do those nowadays with the cord-cutting and proliferation of unlisted cell phones. But I'm no statistician. But I guess they have statistical ways of putting on polls with what they have.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 3:29 pm It's a poll. There is no poll which gets its replies from every single person in a country.
Also it is understood that any poll is only relevant for the time it was conducted.
So a poll where they ask if people would get the covid vaccine might get a 40% response in Jan 2020, and a 80% response in Sept 2021. They aren't expected to be true for all time.
A poll of a small pool of canadians is basically like taking the temperature of a couple of pieces of chicken in a frying pan, it's then presumed that all the other pieces of chicken will have about the same temperature.
If it said the poll was of 1537 Canadians, then there was no deception.
Don't be silly. If if the CP headline were not using the a-typical tabloid-style of journalism, the headline would include "... of those polled...". But then, it wouldn't get much attention.
Silverstarqueen wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 3:29 pm They aren't expected to be true for all time.
It's not about truth or occasional truth in reporting the current events. If you want to talk about truth I'm sure the Mods will allow you create your own post about what your version of truth really is. I'm sure you can make it very interesting and informative.
This is about honesty in misleading headlines.

Thanks anyway, it was a valiant effort in support of tabloid-style journalism written report.
~j~
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

LovemyBolt wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 4:48 pm How was the ride on that turnip truck? Did you just turn 18 and become politically active? Indeed...it's a poll. All polls are like that. The big "poll" we just had had a 59% turnout. Does that mean the other 41% were not heard? Why yes it does. But it's also about as totally accurate as a poll can be.
More proper polls would include the statistical accuracy like a plus or minus percentage 19 times out of 20 or something. This poll was from Leger and they used a random selection from their own pool of participants. But it's not a full-out random poll.
And frankly. I'm not sure how they can even do those nowadays with the cord-cutting and proliferation of unlisted cell phones. But I'm no statistician. But I guess they have statistical ways of putting on polls with what they have.
So now those that "choose" not to vote are "victims"? Is that what you are inferring? The pandemic wasn't the first time people didn't vote. So that isn't an excuse. At the end of the day, conservatives would have accepted an election win under all the metrics and numbers provided above. Despite the pandemic.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:10 pm So now those that "choose" not to vote are "victims"? Is that what you are inferring? The pandemic wasn't the first time people didn't vote. So that isn't an excuse. At the end of the day, conservatives would have accepted an election win under all the metrics and numbers provided above. Despite the pandemic.
Why not discuss the topic like everyone else did. It's a poll and showed the number of participants and anyone that looks at these polls should understand the limitations.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:10 pm
LovemyBolt wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 4:48 pm How was the ride on that turnip truck? Did you just turn 18 and become politically active? Indeed...it's a poll. All polls are like that. The big "poll" we just had had a 59% turnout. Does that mean the other 41% were not heard? Why yes it does. But it's also about as totally accurate as a poll can be.
So now those that "choose" not to vote are "victims"? Is that what you are inferring? The pandemic wasn't the first time people didn't vote. So that isn't an excuse. At the end of the day, conservatives would have accepted an election win under all the metrics and numbers provided above. Despite the pandemic.
Huh?? No. They are silent. It was about numbers in a poll. The Leger poll of the thread had 1500-odd. The election poll had 59% of eligible voters.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Fancy wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:31 pmWhy not discuss the topic like everyone else did. It's a poll and showed the number of participants and anyone that looks at these polls should understand the limitations.
I am. It's just not by the carefully administered constructs and themes people are trying to direct. I don't think most people are misled at all. Even when some people are constantly saying so. People on the right have a perpensity to portray themselves as victims as a minority when it suits them. And as a majority when they have a minority coalition like other parties get elected with.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:39 pm I am. ...
You didn't say anything about the poll and why the OP started the thread.
"78% of Canadians support proof-of-vaccine requirement to visit public places: poll"
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Fancy wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:41 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:39 pm I am. ...
You didn't say anything about the poll and why the OP started the thread.
"78% of Canadians support proof-of-vaccine requirement to visit public places: poll"
oh.....so I should start every post with the question written in - along with the answer? I didn't get that memo.....i didnt realize this was english literature class....
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Jim Dixon wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 12:04 pm The headline reads:
"Support for vax passports
78% of Canadians support proof-of-vaccine requirement to visit public places: poll
"

Had to get this off my chest.

In reality, that "78%" is NOT "of Canadians" as choreographed. It is 78% of "The poll of 1,537 Canadians was conducted Sept. 24-26," NOT "of Canadians", making this story, IMO, as bad as flat earth, no moon landings, and the horde of online anti-vax.
Canada gov with today's census shows there to be about 38 million. I'm not succumbing to such outlandish MSM misleading and as close to false as one can get.

I am very disappointed in whomever managed to flog this to the "The Canadian Press" (CP). There is no indication who wrote this trash, I don't blame them for hiding.

I wonder how well the twisted stats have on people that really think all Canadians feel the same way as 1,537 other unknown people.

Shame on who wrote it, shame on CP for releasing it. Shame? Why not? They have been shaming anyone with a opposing opinion.
Subliminal to the n'th degree. Misleading 100% and it's not the first time, but is the latest trend in tabloid-style journalism and reporting story telling.

I am just one vote but 99% of those I polled no longer trust MSM and for good reason. That's whopping 99%!

NOTE: Just because Castanet replayed the story doesn't mean Castanet has any control over CP nor does it mean Castanet agrees. It is news, and it's off the CP wire and should, IMO, be available for readers.

Careful what you read...

~j~
p.s. I have not taken any side to vax/no-vax and posting this has nothing to do with the content, but everything to do with honest in content.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/34 ... laces-poll goes to show that they are replaying the lies over and over again
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:46 pm oh.....so I should start every post with the question written in - along with the answer? I didn't get that memo.....i didnt realize this was english literature class....
lol - did you understand what this thread was about? Did you find an issue with the poll?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:48 pm ... goes to show that they are replaying the lies over and over again
Good grief - does no one read past the headlines? It seemed pretty clear to me it was a poll and a limited number of participants. You guys want to think it's a reflection of the whole country fly at 'er.
The poll of 1,537 Canadians was conducted Sept. 24-26, as health care systems in both Alberta and Saskatchewan were being overwhelmed by soaring cases of the Delta variant of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Fancy wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:58 pm
the truth wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:48 pm ... goes to show that they are replaying the lies over and over again
Good grief - does no one read past the headlines? It seemed pretty clear to me it was a poll and a limited number of participants. You guys want to think it's a reflection of the whole country fly at 'er.
The poll of 1,537 Canadians was conducted Sept. 24-26, as health care systems in both Alberta and Saskatchewan were being overwhelmed by soaring cases of the Delta variant of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Fancy wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:31 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Oct 2nd, 2021, 5:10 pm So now those that "choose" not to vote are "victims"? Is that what you are inferring? The pandemic wasn't the first time people didn't vote. So that isn't an excuse. At the end of the day, conservatives would have accepted an election win under all the metrics and numbers provided above. Despite the pandemic.
Why not discuss the topic like everyone else did. It's a poll and showed the number of participants and anyone that looks at these polls should understand the limitations.
I see people are rev'ed up to support that kind of journalism where the headlines are OK to mislead one into reading the content. Some people read the articles, some peruse, some scan, and others skim over it, and all ending with a opinion on what they thought they read. Some just read headlines and move on.

I'm sure that you being a 'pro' in forums would agree that some people will read and think, scan, or peruse, or skim the contents and some stop where they are midstream and start hammering out a response to the little bit they absorbed. I doubt that it changes when people move from a forum post to a Front end news(?) article. IMO - it's people being people.

Again, as I feel that some did not read everything, it's not about the content of the polls, it's about the misleading headline.

Any way, whatever. It's the 'now- generation' and if majority are happy with tabloid current events being re-told snake-oil style, so be it. It never hurts to remind people of the hazards of believing everything in the news - but it's their world now.

~j~

Return to “Health”