Worrisome observation considering covid

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Worrisome observation considering covid

Post by common_sense_guy »

We have covid and large crowds are not a good thing and I completely understand and agree with that. However Monday evening as I was sitting outside I have a view of the Kelowna Airport flight path for landing planes.
What I noticed start around 7pm (give or take a few minutes ). was at the minimum 5 planes landing at Kelowna Airport all within four to six minutes of each other. I may have missed one or two planes but a minimum of five all landed within four to six minutes of each other.
Well that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me if they're packing the airport full of Travelers and some maybe International when we are apparently still in a terrible pandemic. Could they not space out the planes so when one or two planes worth are gone then the next one's come? Last I remember there were only two luggage carousels at Kelowna International Airport. I could be wrong but that's a heck of a lot of people standing around in a small area if covid is so dangerous and bad. Someone's not making some wise decisions about air travel in my opinion .
Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong or is packing a small airport full of people okay now with covid conditions as bad as they're telling us how bad they are and we shouldn't be risking anything
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Worrisome observation considering covid

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Issue I see with what you are saying, is it may not be as simple as it seems. Many flights that land here are connecting flights to other planes both in Vancouver and Calgary.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Starting at 700pm until the time you posted at 736pm:

712pm: WS 3125 from YEG - Dash 8 Q400 - max 78 pax if full.
721pm: CRN 911 from YCD - Beech 350 - medivac flight.
725pm: SMM 1543 from YXT - Avro RJ - private charter which was delayed from this afternoon.
728pm: WS 3265 from YYC - Dash 8 Q400 - max 78 pax if full.
728pm: AC 8407 from YYC - Dash 8 Q400 - max 78 pax if full.

The last flight before 700pm would have been at 643pm, another Dash 8 Q400 - max 78 pax if full and the next one wasn't until 754pm.

Thats only 234 pax (assuming the flights were full) within 15 minutes, thats fewer than one single 787. Hardly hoards of people. Putting in to account that many people don't travel with checked luggage, the number of folks hanging around would be minimal.

And no, the flights cannot be staggered more through out the day because aircraft have a full day of flying in their schedules, need to connect with other flights and also have to deal with other factors such as weather and arrival/departure/flight plan limitations and restrictions.
Last edited by OKkayak on Oct 5th, 2021, 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Altering the arrival/departure times of aircraft in Kelowna would have ripple effects in every airport in NA. Well, maybe not all but a large percentage.

Your point is not lost however.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

I sense if we are going to start counting arriving planes we should also start counting arriving vehicles. Maybe a checkpoint just North of Summerland, and one at the chain off area coming down the Connector. Nothing gets West of the Big White turnoff, or Soutbound from Predator Ridge.

/s
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I say we bottleneck it even further. Peachland (not including antlers beach) to lake country (not including Oyama).

That'll keep her nicely bottled up. :130: [icon_lol2.gif]
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I was at Toronto Airport the other day, and if you think Kelowna has a problem.... [icon_lol2.gif]

Hundreds of people lined up to go through security, no social distancing but for us one of the benefits of forking over mega bucks for business class, we avoided all that.

Every airport in the world is like that.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I was in the Kelowna airport twice this weekend. My observations:

Kelowna seemed the busiest out of Victoria and Vancouver especially at the gates.

The planes were not at capacity. The most was about 55-60% full. The others less than 50%. People standing stayed 6 feet apart, everyone was wearing masks , and people sitting left space between themselves and others.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

jesus christ who cares. its a stupid cold

entire family had it, we immune and good. anything the public health idiots tell you is BS
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

gman313 wrote: Oct 5th, 2021, 4:25 pm jesus christ who cares. its a stupid cold

entire family had it, we immune and good. anything the public health idiots tell you is BS
That's where you are wrong. It's not just a "stupid cold" - a lot of those are rhinoviruses. People have been really ill with it including "healthy" people.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Also wanted to note that there as very little luggage. mostly everyone had carry on including myself.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

That's great that your family had a mild case of it. So what do we do about those who end up in hospital and ICU?
The problem never was those who got a "sniffle" (except no one knows forsure they will be the one). The problem is those who get a more serious case, and infect others who also can get a more serious case.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Are we taking about airlines?aka. Covid rockets
Where you obey and social distance at the airport. Then cram yourself in the Covid incubator just to go on a little trip?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

samsquench07 wrote: Oct 5th, 2021, 7:45 pm Are we taking about airlines?aka. Covid rockets
Where you obey and social distance at the airport. Then cram yourself in the Covid incubator just to go on a little trip?
You get disinfectant wipes to clean your area on the plane.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

What idiots do you suggest we listen to?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Health”