Shortage of skilled workers

lsj777
Fledgling

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by lsj777 »

Ten years ago I went down to Leon Avenue and offered 15.00 an hour cash to do a clean up on a rental unit and nobody was interested in working . I thought that I could help someone that really needed the money but I was wrong in trying to help someone that way , and after that I started using labor ready and it was cheaper than the15.00 I was offering .
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

And then Labour Ready closed down because nobody wanted to work for them because they paid min. wage.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

McDonald's cant find people to work for $17.50 a hour because one bedroom apartments here cost $1500/month plus utitlities. Even with your 50% off staff discount at McDonalds you'd still be going to the foodbank.

Why don't more doctors and engineers pick fruit?

...because they can't live on fruit picking wages.

Why don't more homeless people pick fruit?

We've devalued our currency to the point where this logic now applies to the homeless.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Even Steven wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 9:37 am And then Labour Ready closed down because nobody wanted to work for them because they paid min. wage.
these places are infested with working junkies , sending out there workers high as a kite to job sites, people should 100% stay away
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

the truth wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 11:59 am
Even Steven wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 9:37 am And then Labour Ready closed down because nobody wanted to work for them because they paid min. wage.
these places are infested with working junkies , sending out there workers high as a kite to job sites, people should 100% stay away
If they are obviously high or drunk, they won't be dispatched.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 10:15 am Why don't more homeless people pick fruit?

We've devalued our currency to the point where this logic now applies to the homeless.
But the "homeless" are already living somewhere. And if they got off their butts and worked, they just may have a better place. But hey, many do not want to work.

Two days ago I was stopped waiting for a light to go green.
A young woman was standing on the medium, holding the usual sign. I called her over and told her I had just come from a restaurant that was looking for people.
Her response, I got the finger and a :cuss: you.

Too many of these people are just like her, lazy and on drugs.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

alanjh595 wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 1:48 pm
the truth wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 11:59 am these places are infested with working junkies , sending out there workers high as a kite to job sites, people should 100% stay away
i know for a fact that they do
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 10th, 2021, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Bring back the LIKE button.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

alanjh595 wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 1:48 pm
the truth wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 11:59 am these places are infested with working junkies , sending out there workers high as a kite to job sites, people should 100% stay away
*remove* You're wrong .
Last edited by ferri on Oct 11th, 2021, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Labour Ready was in it for the money.
If you called them up, wanting 10 workers and they only had 10 drink and stoned people waiting in their office you got 10 drunk and stoned workers.

They always start by sending out their favorites, then anyone awake in their office then anyone who wasn't overdosed beyond needing a blowhorn to wake up.

I had to drive 56 of their workers from Vancouver to the Pemberton Music Festival ( clean up crew ) a few years ago, and it was quite the ordeal.
I don't think I have seen the bus get so filthy so fast.
They were honestly well behaved, but I doubt most of them could find their way out of an open paper bag with neon arrows pointing out.
I didn't know what to say when stuck in a construction site and one of them came up asking
When will we get there?
I looked at him, shrugged my shoulders and said, You tell Me. We haven't even moved in half an hour.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

bb49 wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 3:15 pm But the "homeless" are already living somewhere. And if they got off their butts and worked, they just may have a better place.
Are you suggesting that working 40 hours a week at minimum wage in Kelowna would "get you somewhere"???
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 6:22 am Labour Ready was in it for the money.
If you called them up, wanting 10 workers and they only had 10 drink and stoned people waiting in their office you got 10 drunk and stoned workers.

They always start by sending out their favorites, then anyone awake in their office then anyone who wasn't overdosed beyond needing a blowhorn to wake up.

I had to drive 56 of their workers from Vancouver to the Pemberton Music Festival ( clean up crew ) a few years ago, and it was quite the ordeal.
I don't think I have seen the bus get so filthy so fast.
They were honestly well behaved, but I doubt most of them could find their way out of an open paper bag with neon arrows pointing out.
I didn't know what to say when stuck in a construction site and one of them came up asking
When will we get there?
I looked at him, shrugged my shoulders and said, You tell Me. We haven't even moved in half an hour.
exactly......................
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 9:59 am
bb49 wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 3:15 pm But the "homeless" are already living somewhere. And if they got off their butts and worked, they just may have a better place.
Are you suggesting that working 40 hours a week at minimum wage in Kelowna would "get you somewhere"???
If someone has even a bit of initiative or drive, they won't be making minimum wage for long.
And there are cheaper places to live.

But, if they want to continue living on the streets, say la vee.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

bb49 wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 12:06 pm And there are cheaper places to live.
Who's cleans the toilets and serves the fries when they leave?
If someone has even a bit of initiative or drive, they won't be making minimum wage for long.
Person working full-time can't even afford food or shelter.

How long does this person have to wait until the boss bumps them up from minimum wage to 20 dollars a hour?

How many years?

How many service businesses can afford to pay more than minimum wage?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Does anyone even pay minimum wage in this city?

I think it's impossible to earn less than $25/hour for a guy with good set of hands.

Return to “North Okanagan”